Torquay United V Newport County 22nd March 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Torquay United V Newport County 22nd March 2014

Post by lucy6lucy »

3 games ago we where 10 points adrift at the bottom. We now go into the Newport Match only 5 adrift with 9 cup finals to play. Can we pull off another Torquay great escape that we are accustomed too. With only Scunthorpe and Southend that I regard as certain defeats, the other 7 games are extremely winnable. And so bring Newport on. They play tonight and thus have 24 hours less to recover/prepare for the match. If we can win this it's game on. I hope yeoman gets a chance as we have nothing to lose.
Last edited by lucy6lucy on 19 Mar 2014, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
Lucy
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Been thinking about this one for a while. Are we at level now where fair means or foul are allowed to save our league status? If we are at the latter, and I feel that maybe we are, I would seriously consider winding Zebroski up before and certainly during this one. We know all to well how easily that can be done. Fat boy Howes past his best.

Is that acceptable or not?

That's presuming he's selected of course
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

lucy6lucy wrote:3 games ago we where 10 points adrift at the bottom. We now go into the Newport Match only 5 adrift with 9 cup finals to play. Can we pull off another Torquay great escape that we are accustomed too. With only scunthorpe and Southend that I regard as certain defeats, the other 7 games are extremely winnable. And so bring Newport on. They play tonight and thus have 24 hours less to recover/prepare for the match. If we can win this it's game on. I hope yeoman gets a chance as we have nothing to lose.
Defeat at Southend? Probably yes. But .... Torquay are to Southend what Wigan are to Man City. We're a bit of a bogey team for them and it's uncanny how 'bogey team' results happen time and time again. Newport 2 - 0 down at home to the Daggers so far tonight. Not sure if that's a good or bad omen for Saturday ......
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I just hope Cameron is fit as he is so important to the shape of the side he's become a threat under Chris Hargreaves where under Knill he just could not get going. An on form Chapell is good enough to start but then there is Stevens. If everyone is fit same again but I'd have Craig as a sub.as he can offer something different it showed how important subs can be on Tuesday. :goal: :goal: :goal:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

tomogull wrote: Defeat at Southend? Probably yes. But .... Torquay are to Southend what Wigan are to Man City. We're a bit of a bogey team for them and it's uncanny how 'bogey team' results happen time and time again. Newport 2 - 0 down at home to the Daggers so far tonight. Not sure if that's a good or bad omen for Saturday ......
I'm surprised you regard us a bogey side against Southend. We have suffered many a defeat at roots hall, so why are we a bogey to them, yes we famously beat them to get promotion in 2004 but I still believe it is a write off.
Lucy
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Southend are on a run of about 18000 games without a win. In that form, the last team they'll want to play is us, a side against whom they can do no right with their fans. If they win comfortably, then that's to be expected. If they lose, they're in for a barracking from the terraces.

Scunny'll beat us, but they best everyone else too, so no harm done there.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Newport have defender Pipe sent off. Fat boy not in the squad. Zedders played 90 mins.

Matt.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

ferrarilover wrote:Newport have defender Pipe sent off. Fat boy not in the squad. Zedders played 90 mins.

Matt.
Plus they subbed Byron Anthony after half an hour, suggesting he hadn't recovered from his injury which might put him in doubt for Sat.

And it seemed like a bit of a "blood and thunder" game, which might have taken it out on the legs.

All in all, could scarcely have gone better from our point of view
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

ferrarilover wrote:Southend are on a run of about 18000 games without a win. In that form, the last team they'll want to play is us, a side against whom they can do no right with their fans. If they win comfortably, then that's to be expected. If they lose, they're in for a barracking from the terraces.

Scunny'll beat us, but they best everyone else too, so no harm done there.

Matt.
Matt it's very unlike you to state incorrect facts. 18000 games without a win means roughly they haven't won a game since year 1700. Infact I doubt football existed. :scarf:
Lucy
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

York are one of the form teams in the league at the moment as well so it will be tough to get a result there next Tuesday night.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

lucy6lucy wrote: I'm surprised you regard us a bogey side against Southend. We have suffered many a defeat at roots hall, so why are we a bogey to them, yes we famously beat them to get promotion in 2004 but I still believe it is a write off.
:devil:
We beat them at Plainmoor, Lucy - one of Alan Knill's TWO home wins - so that must mean something !! Any straw to grasp ! Didn't we win or draw at Roots Hall last season, or is that wishful thinking ?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

lucy6lucy wrote: Matt it's very unlike you to state incorrect facts. 18000 games without a win means roughly they haven't won a game since year 1700. Infact I doubt football existed. :scarf:
I said "about 18000". They're actually 8 without a win, which, when you consider just how many numbers actually exist, is about 18000.

Matt.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Justin Edinburgh was sat behind us at the Bury match, seemed a decent enough man, and certainly was friendly. Obviously he did not say too much that we could evesdrop, but one thing is for certain, he was an absolute encyclapedia on players from both sides.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

The only man I fear is Zebs. I agree he needs to be put in a strop!
To the dotted line, We're on our way
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

arcadia wrote:I just hope Cameron is fit as he is so important to the shape of the side he's become a threat under Chris Hargreaves where under Knill he just could not get going. An on form Chapell is good enough to start but then there is Stevens. If everyone is fit same again but I'd have Craig as a sub.as he can offer something different it showed how important subs can be on Tuesday. :goal: :goal: :goal:
Don't forget Bodin. He's back in training and according to his Twitter, scored in a practice match in Plymouth earlier this week. I would expect him to be at least on the bench.