Mid-table Torquay

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Mid-table Torquay

Post by oldpedant »

I noticed the following stats for us:

Points won against top half teams 5 from 27 (P9 W0 D5 L4 F12 A22)
Points won against bottom half teams 26 from 33 (P11 W8 D2 L1 F20 A4)

If anything suggests we're destined for mid-table this season, it's those stats. I'm quite surprised to find that we haven't beaten anyone in the top half yet, considering the general feeling is that we're playing quite well now. Maybe the opposition in recent games just hasn't been very good.

At least it should mean we get a result on Saturday at Accrington!
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

You watch that stat change loads though. When your going through a tough spell, and other sides are playing well you will struggle. Saying that even on our bad form we still got draws again some good sides.

Plus all the sides above us will slip up. No reason why we cant be in the play offs come end of season. But still would take mid table for Lings first season. Takes time to rebuild anything.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Yeah i agree brett. Its only Lings first season and although he has managed the many changes in personnel miraculously, it takes time to rebuild a squad and a team ethic once again. He actually seems to have already done that in my book but just as we ended our long run without a win with the run we're on now, we could easily not win the next 4 or 5 and be back to square one again. I believe a mid table finish will be a success for Martin, any play off push towards the business end of the season would be most unexpected and most welcome.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

You have to think Martin, took over a mess if im honest. After such a great season, players leaving and wanting to leave. First thing he had to do was fill in the gaps that were there and bring in his coaching staff in too.

To do this well after rebuilding with what he has tbh is great. Next season he can and and remove what he feels is right and we will have a even stronger side. Stating the obvious i know but its exciting to think, he will find some more little gems like Bobby and Rene to add to what we have now.

Who knows O;Kane could be sold for a big fee and may have some money to build.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Heart says playoff position.

Head says mid table finish.

As much as everyone would like to see a thrilling climax to the season, if only to keep the interest and attendances healthy, I foresee deficiencies in the squad and many difficult away games in the second half of the season that will thwart aforementioned playoff hopes.

That said, the January window isn't open yet, let only closed, and Dinger may well have room for manoeuvre to work his magic.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Agree with Trojan.

As Antonio Gramsci put it:

“I have pessimist of the intellect, optimism of the will”.

Those Italian Marxist philosophers knew a thing or two about Div 2 football. ->

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/antonio_gramsci/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Interesting stats. Something Cambridge fans did say about Lingy was that he did alot better against teams in the bottom half than teams in the top, something which is happening here also.

But it's a difficult one because obviously teams change places, for example when we played AFC Wimbledon we were about 18th and they were in the top 10, and now we've swapped.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

For us to be 9th and 1 point of the playoffs at this stage is an utter miracle. If we finished in this position would be happy days and about 6 places better than I thought we'd be this season.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I shouldn't have too much regard for mid-season stats. Recent form is a better indicator of performance in the following few weeks. The play-offs are certainly a possibility even if the Gulls hit another run of games without a win. More crucial, though, is the possibility of injuries and suspensions in key positions. I'm sure Martin Ling is already thinking of what action he will take to guard against this.

If my mathematics are correct, if Torquay gets a win against Accrington next weekend (perhaps a big if, but they are probably due a win here), then Bristol Rovers will do us a favour by winning at Gillingham and so putting the Gulls into the fourth play-off place. If we can remain there until the New Year, what a great springboard that would be for a promotion push in the second half of the season.

So, let's hear it for Paul Buckle? ! ? ! :~D
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

at the start of the season i'm sure most of us would've expected Rovers, Argyle, Dag & Red and even the likes of Crewe, Northampton, Bradford to have been doing so much better, and maybe the likes of Cheltenham, Burton and Morecambe to be at the other end. so all you can do is prepare for each game based on form, and hope that your own form is good enough to get results. I'm more than happy with everything TUFC at the moment, form, players contracts, manager, current league position etc etc.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Well said Regiment, it's nice to know the contracts of our key players coming to the end of their deals are being sorted out, as well as results and table position being more than satisfactory. While it would be nice to push into the playoff places ASAP it's surely better to stay consistent and competetive over the whole season, and then we should end up pretty well off.

As for certain clubs doing better/worse than we'd have thought, that seems to be the case every year - Bradford and Northampton spend their money foolishly, clubs coming down struggle to adapt, clubs going up ride the wave of success, and the rest fall where they may depending on how they do against each other.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Every team in the Division sees itself as not getting relegated. Most teams see themselves as capable of at least making the playoffs.

Then the season starts and reality kicks in . . . administration, bad form, bad luck, injuries, suspensions . . .

Usually, but not always, teams that go up use the least amount of players (settled in form squad with few suspensions/injuries. Teams that go down use the most players (unsettled out of form squad with numerous suspensions/injuries.

Then there's the dick in the middle with the whistle and his two henchmen with the flags. How many points do they cost teams during a season ?
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Just had another look at the League 2 table with every team having played 20 games.

Only 2 teams above us have lost fewer games (Crawley and Southend).

Every team below us has lost more.

The next game should prove interesting as will the Christmas/New Year fixtures against Swindle, Oxfam and Arr giggle. :)