Goodbye Tomlin

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Goodbye Tomlin

Post by tommygull »

Yesterday the boy showed the same poor level of positioning and workrate which he had at Rotherham. After a couple of good performances in the first round of the play-offs everyone was singing his praises ala Carayol but he has shown that when we are up against it he can't add anything.

When we are on top his trickery and fanciness are very useful and he can flourish, however I think he is a luxury which we cannot afford to carry next year.

I'm not sure the situation regarding him and Dagenham and whether a deal was ever on the table but I for one think he is not what we need.

Discuss
:( Tommy :)
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Bit harsh. Take Tomlin out of the play-offs and we may not have made the final. He wasn't at his best yesterday, but the same can be said for most of the team. I actually thought he was one of our stronger players in the first half. Controlled the ball well and linked up play nicely. He just had very little support and then drifted out of the game second half, mainly because he was pushed out wide where he is as ineffective as Kee.

I'd be delighed if he signed, but can't seen it happening.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Agreed, he's good when at home, and we attack properly and in numbers, but when away we should be more conservative, and he's sometimes a passenger.

Saying that, he was the only striker yesterday trying to link up and get some movements. The others were just idioticly shooting from 30 yards everytime.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
alcohorse
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Richards

Post by alcohorse »

I thoght he did ok - held up play well and I would be chuffed if we signed him. Whilst there were poor performances dotted all round the pitch, for me Billy Kee was the player most devoid of pace, ability or effort. So much of the good work we did in the second half broke down as soon as it got to him. I'd have Tomlin over Kee all day long.
He's got Bayes' boots on!
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by tommygull »

That is a fair point although I would say that Kee, over the season has been more valuable than Tomlin.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

EnoughTomlin bashing.

Didn't work for him yesterday, nor Zebroski.

:@
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by tommygull »

That's rubbish. Zebroski was the engine room of the attack. If you seriously think that those two players were on a par something is wrong. Tomlin was lazy, had a poor touch and was not linking up well with other players. Zebroski was winning the ball in midfield and in attack and did not stop chasing the wole game. Unbelievable.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Personally I thought Tomlin did ok yesterday. He seemed to be the only forward to who could kill the dead when it came to him. Zeb and Kee's first touch was awful on a number of occasions and indeed when Kee went through on his own in the second half, it was his poor first touch that pushed the ball further wide than he'd wanted.

If Buckle goes and takes Zeb, we may need Tomlin as Kee is not up to it and can't run to save his life.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by tommygull »

Billy Kee on the wing has been a bit of a problem for us. What I would give for a young, uninjured Wayne Carlisle!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Blimey Tom, we saw the match differently and then some.

For me, Zedders had one of those games where nothing stuck. His match was summed up perfectly when he got a lucky break into the box and shinned it miles wide and further high into the stand from about 12 yards, not good.
Tomlin, however, was ok, one of our better players. Received it well and, although he struggled to beat a man, he did lay off sone decent little balls and he retained possession when others would have lost it.

No one had a good game, let's not pick on individuals. Overall, it's been a wonderful season and if we get more of the same next year, I'll be delighted.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by tommygull »

ferrarilover wrote:Blimey Tom, we saw the match differently and then some.

For me, Zedders had one of those games where nothing stuck. His match was summed up perfectly when he got a lucky break into the box and shinned it miles wide and further high into the stand from about 12 yards, not good.
Tomlin, however, was ok, one of our better players. Received it well and, although he struggled to beat a man, he did lay off sone decent little balls and he retained possession when others would have lost it.

No one had a good game, let's not pick on individuals. Overall, it's been a wonderful season and if we get more of the same next year, I'll be delighted.

Matt.
Each to there own I suppose! I'm not saying that Zebs was particularly good but he did work hard.

Have you recovered from the trauma of yesterday then Matt?

:engflag:
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I thought Tomlin was better than Zebroski. He at least held the ball up most times and linked up well on a few occasions, but the trouble was we never got going, so there was no-one around for him to link up play with, as he did so well in the semis. If the team had played better, then Tomlin would have looked better without actually playing any better, if that makes sense?
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

He did, he always does work hard, but nothing went for him yesterday. Tomlin is one of those who doesn't need to look busy to be effective, a little like Berbatov or Rendell, both look lazy, but are terribly effective.
I used to get the same thing levelled at me when I played Lacrosse, I didn't look interested, but it was more I didn't waste energy chasing about just to appear useful. I'd rather save the power for when I could use it to skin people and score goals.

Still sad that we didn't win, but it's just one game and there is always next year.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brumgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by brumgull »

Tomlin is good never stops running, and very good at dribbling aswel

Kee good striker of ball,( evidently not yesterday) not a winger, or pacey sort it out bucks

Zebroski can be good at times, is not as good as he thinks, does stupid things when on the ball

keep them all id say, but we need someone who can get the ball in the net
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just do not get this Tomlin bashing,as for the game yesterday,first half there was no service up to the front players due to our teams failure to get to grips with there hoofball,cant really blame just Tomlin for that.

Second half when our team seem to understand get the ball down pass it around ,Tomlin i thought cam into his own ,he never stopped running,his movement off the ball gave the Stevenage back four nightmares,and was the only player who accually held the ball for us.

And the last thing i will say,if just two of the chances that Zebroski,Kee or Jakey had fallen to Tomlin have a feeling we would now be a league 1 side,so look past the fact he did not score yesterday no body else did ,and to honest i do not think as ingle clear cut chance came his way,and get off his back.

Gavin Tomlim we may not see you in a gull's shirt again,so many thanks form this gulls fan for everything.
Formerly known as forevertufc