Sutton United v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Fantastic result and an excellent performance all round. I felt more relaxed tonight than any game since Christmas, when I expected us to smash anyone. There have been too many squeeky bum moments since losing to Yeovil.

Saturday off to let the legs recover, then
we go again away to Woking next Tuesday.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Terriific performance from the team from first miniute to last. With Sutton not playing at the weekend was expecting them to be on the front foot e. -They hardly threatened and yes the stream was crap but massive 3 points and all to play for now.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Whydoibother wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 21:39 Terriific performance from the team from first miniute to last. With Sutton not playing at the weekend was expecting them to be on the front foot e. -They hardly threatened and yes the stream was crap but massive 3 points and all to play for now.
Strangely the commentator seemed to think we had an advantage having played at the weekend.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Great result right team won and feel sure we should have had a penalty too

Was there some handbags with Hall and their big guy after the whistle ? missed what might have gone on just saw people being pulled away
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

The commentator was strange full stop!!
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Whydoibother wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 21:39 Terriific performance from the team from first miniute to last. With Sutton not playing at the weekend was expecting them to be on the front foot e. -They hardly threatened and yes the stream was crap but massive 3 points and all to play for now.
Strangely the commentator seemed to think we had an advantage having played at the weekend.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

Massive win, made even better by the news on Danny Wright`s Twitter page that "The leg is nothing too serious and hopefully I`ll be ready to go again in a couple days" COYY
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Forest gull »

Another clean sheet. We really are getting hard to beat again. COYY
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Forest gull wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 09:14 Another clean sheet. We really are getting hard to beat again. COYY
Agreed, great all round performance, restricted them to little or no real chances. Sutton clearly not used to losing.
Nice to see
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I feel in so many ways this ranks as our best team performance of the season. We really did deserve to win the game given our intent and rock solid determination.

We confined Sutton to one clear cut chance which Bugiel spurned.

Gary J and Aaron D must be congratulated on inspiring the team to turn things round after a really bad run of form. This is what great Managers do and why we are so fortunate to have them at Torquay.

With Kyle Cameron and Ben Whitfield coming back we do now have a great chance of automatic promotion. As things stand it looks like a battle between the top 4 for automatic promotion United, Sutton, Stockport and Hartlepool.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I think the incident with Wright limping off towards the end was as much about gamesmanship and trying to drag out a few extra seconds.
The spat with Hall at the end was I think with Eastman, even their own players were trying to calm him throughout the match, he obviously has a shorter fuse than Andrews who really needs to grow up and be the player we know he is without winding up refs. We have some difficult fixtures coming up not least against teams in the lower half who we seem to trip up on.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I'm not so sure that it was gamesmanship. Having played the replay back Wright looked to have sustained the injury in the 88th on the right hand side of penalty and appeared to have difficulty running back to the half way line.

He then went out of shot and had gone down when he next went into view. He still appeared to be limping at the end of the game when he came back on the pitch and was holding an ice pack on the area of his hamstring.

He does have an injury, and it looked very much like a hamstring problem to me. I do note his message on twitter but he did say "hopefully it wasn't too bad" - I hope that isn't wishful thinking and its just a tight hamstring or something. Really galling that he sustained the injury so late in the game.
Graiser
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by Graiser »

Great result lads, really hope you get back to L2 where you should be, keep it going now
Green Army
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Fantastic result. What a week. Isn't football such a great game to follow? A month ago we were one of the worst form sides in the top half.... The doomsayers were beginning to sharpen there claws.
A few weeks later we are now the one of the top current form sides and we are once again talking about automatic promotion.
I am sure there will be many more twists and turns before the end. Its going to be sad at times frustrating and joyous.
Lets buckle in and hope we come out on top!
In GJ we trust!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Nine more performances like that will win us the league. That must have taken a lot out of the players playing with that intensity
never gave them a moment to settle on the ball.Good we are not playing Saturday , a few days rest and then same again at Woking. We must treat every game like Sutton, when we play like that we are the best team in the league. We may never have a better chance , hopefully we can be in a position where it's in our hands to win our last two games v Barnet and Altrincham and the title, though Sutton play Barnet last day their penultimate game is against Hartlepool who's last game it is.