Pre-season friendlies 2018

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Pre-season friendlies 2018

Post by Midlandgull »

Have any announcements been made about pre-season friendlies?

I'd hope we can get some teams down because of former Gulls being their managers...

West Brom (Darren Moore)
Birmingham (Garry Monk)
Cardiff (Neil Warnock)

Then some usual local-ish games - Plymouth, Buckland, Bristol City/Rovers, Exeter.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Not sure they'll want to play a side in the NLS............
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Tuesday July 17th v Plymouth Argyle at Plainmoor. The only one announced so far.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

As best we would get the development squad down here.

Anyone remember the red star Belgrade friendly....i remmeber very well being at the game in the scorching heat.

Great days
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

nickbrod wrote: 21 May 2018, 17:09 Tuesday July 17th v Plymouth Argyle at Plainmoor. The only one announced so far.
The only one announced by TUFC so far maybe .... but Poole Town announced a friendly against us several days ago on their website ....

Saturday 14th July v Poole Town (away) at 3pm

http://www.pooletownfc.co.uk/poole-town ... 18-3-00pm/
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Yes WYG , 1-1 wasnt it , Tommy Tynan ?
They had Darko Pancev and Savicevic among others, who played in the European Cup Final that year
and in the World Cup previously tho maybe wrong on that
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

I couldn't tell you ...i was at the game I remember no doubt. Just can't remember the score without looking.
What I do remember is not being able to buy the new kit as they had not had the stock in yet. I seem to remember it took months and months for stock. I'm quite sure its the season we brought Wez Saunders who was and please guys correct if I'm wrong but didn't he play in midfield at first and was awful. People calling him all sorts until he went in centre defence with Matthew Elliot and then we had argubley the best centre back partnership we have ever seen. Open to debate I'm quite sure
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

[highlight=yellow][/highlight]
westyorkshiregull wrote: 21 May 2018, 19:25 I couldn't tell you ...i was at the game I remember no doubt. Just can't remember the score without looking.
What I do remember is not being able to buy the new kit as they had not had the stock in yet. I seem to remember it took months and months for stock. I'm quite sure its the season we brought Wez Saunders who was and please guys correct if I'm wrong but didn't he play in midfield at first and was awful. [highlight=yellow]People calling him all sorts until he went in centre defence with Matthew Elliot and then we had argubley the best centre back partnership we have ever seen. [/highlight]Open to debate I'm quite sure
No debate from me , 100% agree, although Phil Lloyd was a giant
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

sgf wrote: 21 May 2018, 20:46 [highlight=yellow][/highlight] No debate from me , 100% agree, although Phil Lloyd was a giant
Better than Woods - Taylor?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Wivel and I (and probably Portugal) remember the 'good old days' before we had centre back partnerships. We had a centre half and he did the work of two central defenders. At different times, We had Grif Norman, Reg Wyatt, Pat Kruse. And Colin Bettany.
Uberwozza-san
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Uberwozza-san »

Saunders and Elliot were immense. imo better than Woods and Taylor yes.

of the above centre half list I was in mini stand when Kruse scored his world famous 6 second own goal past Terry Lee. and i met Colin Bettany in a midlands pub before a game (maybe Rushden?) a few years back - seemed like a nice bloke. Told my dad afterwards and he said Bettany was the hardest player he had seen at plainmoor.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Uberwozza-san wrote: 22 May 2018, 06:24...Bettany was the hardest player he had seen at plainmoor.
Bettany was the hardest United player, yes. He even rolled his short sleeves up.

The hardest visiting player must have been Jimmy Scouler when player-manager of Bradford Park Avenue ~ a proper baldy looking far older than his 38 years, fouling and growling like a good 'un. Luke Young's mum would have 'brollied him' and sent her little boy in with a sicknote the next time the two sides were due to meet! :~D
Last edited by merse btpir on 22 May 2018, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Dick Edwards was also pretty good.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Wolborough wrote: 22 May 2018, 07:57Dick Edwards was also pretty good.
Once again; 'best' being bestowed through personal experience ~ the best centre back pairing I remember being Alan Smith and Jimmy Dunne c 1966.....it has been a steady transgression since then with lesser mortals being elevated to 'immortal' status by less privilaged supporters and complete idiots being imposed on us as self appointed legends ~ when a player decides to refer to himself as a legend then we know it really is all over.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Best I've seen in my time anyhow ..dick Edwards before me. Yes Phil Lloyd was a warrior and a tough no nonsense player. Was chatting to him in a bar in around the year 2000 in paignton and seem a right nice fella.