Retain or Release?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
novicegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by novicegull »

apologies to cpgull..... the above post was directed at chunkygull
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

NickGull wrote:Personally I would give Oastler another year. Last season he was very good I felt, he has both height and age on his side. Okay he isn't the quickest but I still think he's solid at this level.

Anyone who was at Morecambe would have seen what a sterling job he did against Kevin Ellison that day too. Don't think he was beaten once.

Nick, i'm going for a lie down after this because i totally agree with the above :lol: :) . Last season he was excellent and some stoic and dogged performances stick out in my mind but i think the whole side just about have struggled this season for one reason or another. For that reason i think overall Joe is worth another year and hopefully we will see him back to his best. He is a leggy, unspectacular and awkward player but he gets stuck in and if he can just concentrate on his game and his positioning then he can come good again.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:
Nick, i'm going for a lie down after this because i totally agree with the above :lol: :) . Last season he was excellent and some stoic and dogged performances stick out in my mind but i think the whole side just about have struggled this season for one reason or another. For that reason i think overall Joe is worth another year and hopefully we will see him back to his best. He is a leggy, unspectacular and awkward player but he gets stuck in and if he can just concentrate on his game and his positioning then he can come good again.
Surely if you are using that logic for Oastler then you should also use it for Rene and Billy.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I knew that was coming so i've prepared a reply. I saw Oastler with my own eyes last season and i know what he can do so he has more sympathy from me with regards another year. Also i have seen more consistent performances from Joe than from Billy. I know what Rene can do as we all do but whereas Joey just lost form, Rene lost form and gave up too IMO.

Billy has had an entire season and i still haven't seen anything of note to warrant him being included in the side and given that i have nothing previous to go on i think it best he doesn't play. Obviously he is here for another year and when we see another season of nothing then perhaps it may be my turn to accept the apologies? :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

At the risk of sounding like the 2010 general election: "I agree with Nick"

Joe will become a solid defender at this level, if not higher. You don't become a bad player overnight and our formation under Ling put huge pressure on our full-backs to both be solid defensively and get forward and support attacks.

Oastler to stay in my book.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

stevegull wrote:At the risk of sounding like the 2010 general election: "I agree with Nick"

:lol:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Dare I say he's got a bit of Glen Johnson about him. Not great defensively but when he breaks forward, he is able to go past people with apparent ease.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:I knew that was coming so i've prepared a reply. I saw Oastler with my own eyes last season and i know what he can do so he has more sympathy from me with regards another year. Also i have seen more consistent performances from Joe than from Billy. I know what Rene can do as we all do but whereas Joey just lost form, Rene lost form and gave up too IMO.

Billy has had an entire season and i still haven't seen anything of note to warrant him being included in the side and given that i have nothing previous to go on i think it best he doesn't play. Obviously he is here for another year and when we see another season of nothing then perhaps it may be my turn to accept the apologies? :)
I find it hard to believe you've seen NOTHING of note from Billy. There must have been some flashes of brilliance.

Of course your final statement is fine, on the assumption that he is crap again....given that when he was on loan for us everybody thought he was brilliant, and given the fact that he plays for his country, I am willing to bet that it will be you apologising (again :-D ) after Billy puts this season behind him and shows whomever the new manager is the reason why we spent so much money on him (albeit the club didn't spend much of its own money)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

All i have seen from Billy is about 5 really good pieces of skill, a clever ball that led to our second goal away at York and some clever runs off the ball which never get found and that is the Gods honest truth. That is it from 1 home game and about 14 away. We are all hoping that he has actually GOT some talent and if he has and we do well next season with a more offensive approach and more support up top then i'm sure we'll see the real Billy. It's just a massive 'IF' at the moment that's all but i don't want to go into the Billy thing again as you all know what i feel.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Oastler is a keeper, but Howe and Bodin are expendable? Crikey, no offence Andy but I'm glad you're not in charge of the side. Two of the three players named above are talented footballers. The other, probably ought to be playing part-time on a Saturday, alongside his proper job of hod-carrier. I don't want to be unnecessarily harsh on Joe, he's a trier and that counts for something. But much like with the much admired (by some) Matt Hockley - trying is not enough if there isn't any ability alongside it. I'd try really hard if I was playing too, but it's not enough without talent. He's defensively suspect, and wasteful when attacking. I'm almost certain there are better full-backs in the conference or currently out of work. If we can afford one (Amankwaah) I'd hope we can take one.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Fonda wrote:Oastler is a keeper, but Howe and Bodin are expendable? Crikey, no offence Andy but I'm glad you're not in charge of the side. Two of the three players named above are talented footballers. The other, probably ought to be playing part-time on a Saturday, alongside his proper job of hod-carrier. I don't want to be unnecessarily harsh on Joe, he's a trier and that counts for something. But much like with the much admired (by some) Matt Hockley - trying is not enough if there isn't any ability alongside it. I'd try really hard if I was playing too, but it's not enough without talent. He's defensively suspect, and wasteful when attacking. I'm almost certain there are better full-backs in the conference or currently out of work. If we can afford one (Amankwaah) I'd hope we can take one.
:lol:

So am i mate, so am i! ;-)

Howe i agree with, it's been obvious these last couple of months the downturn in form with him. We have seen him turn in great performance after another for the most part and latterly he has been a huge let down in all areas of his game. I'd still keep him like a shot though if i thought he cared about being here, i don't believe he does anymore and that has affected his performances ( as well as us being crap too :~D ).

With Billy, i do think he has some talent, after all, i saw him away at Crewe last season when on loan and he ripped them apart and we won 3-0. That performance hasn't even been 5% of being replicated at any point this season and to go 40 games having pretty much zero influence on the side or performances is a little hard to stomach and to forgive. It is also the manner of his performances too, i know you said it is pointless for our creative players to be running around chasing lost causes and to a certain extent i'd say you were right but if we get a Billy no show in the creativity department ( as has happened on most occasions this season ) they we generally get nothing else from him either so it's like playing with 10 men. At Morecambe he was as bad as i've seen, he ran about a bit granted but resorted to jockeying opponents Stevens-esque but so far off his man that it was pointless. When he goes into 'headless chicken' mode i am embarrassed for the lad as he simply has no idea of where he should be, what he should be doing and how to go about doing it and he looks totally lost. It is possibly due to a bit of inexperience but when you are playing a key member of the team nearly every game in a season and getting not much end product then it means that end product has to be found by others.

I just hope he can come good next season.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I think it's fair to say that Billy has not come close to the level of performance people were hoping for, or expected. And there is little more frustrating than a flair player who is off his game. But players with that kind of ability are more prone to struggle for consistency. He does have a lot of talent though - I reckon any team in this division would find space for him given the opportunity. He's still a young man and I think the pressure of the high price tag played on his mind. He didn't look comfortable at any stage, and I think after a poor start his confidence went and his head dropped. We can only hope that a new start under a new manager brings out the performances he's capable of.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I hope so Fonda. For all my protestations about Bodin this season i still want him to do well in a yellow shirt and i really hope this season was just a complete blip in his progress and he really explodes into life next season. I've nothing against the lad and i'm not expecting him to be like Lionel Messi but i just think that what he has offered us this season hasn't been anywhere near acceptable and although the struggle didn't help, he still has to shoulder a large responsibility for his own performances. Yes you could say that about every player at some point this season fair enough, Nico for example has been atrocious too but i've given him the benefit of the doubt as he's had some cracking years with us. If Nico plays the same next season then he should be shelved, no room for sentiment. Like with us staying up this season, i would love to be able to see one of the mods stick Bodins avatar back up on my account and be given some stick for having a superb next season and proving me wrong. That means he has done well for Torquay and that is all i want every player to do.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

(8) "Please release me" (8) . . . . . .

Howe ?

(8) "Let me go !" (8) . . . . . .

:nod: :whip:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

Bodin has talent, its definately there, it has happened in glimpses. We have someone with potential here. A bad season for him and the whole club, let him come back for next season refreshed.
I would love Rene, Billy, Elliot and Ryan Jarvis as our front 4 next season. Would be excellent force when on form.