Torquay United v Eastbourne Borough 13/4/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Highlights

Love the way Sean McDonald appears after Jake Andrews goal !!!

http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/club-info/517601
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

tomogull wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 13:24 Well Gateman - I can categorically say that in all the many years I've been going to Plainmoor, yesterday's dis-organisation was the worst. I and a mate arrived at the Pop Side turnstiles at 2.35 to be told that cash wasn't being accepted at the turnstiles. We had to get tickets from the office.

At 2.50, another steward arrived to say that they were now accepting cash again at the PopSide turnstiles. By this time, we were next in the queue so decided to wait for tickets. When we got to the front, we were told there were no tickets left. I explained that the steward had counted back and we were tolds we were okay. I didn't get angry because they were obviously under pressure and doing their best. Anyway, lo and behold, two tickets suddenly became available. We got in just as the players were coming out, so it took us nigh on 25 minutes to get in. No criticism of the office staff nor the stewards who were doing their best in a cranky system that didn't work. So yes - lesson learnt. We shall get tickets beforehand for the Hungerford game.
Effectively the Pop side was all ticket from the time we opened (to control the total allowed in). When we signed on we were given a small batch of tickets which was the remainder after pre-sales and when somebody turned up with cash we took the money and issued a ticket. This we did until we ran out. From that time we only allowed in pre-bought and season ticket holders. However, later another small batch was brought to us and we were able to let in a few more cash payers.

Once tickets were sold the message was simple and that was to go to the Babbacombe End which did not fill by any manner of means. I don't know why you were sent back to the ticket office and, on my forays out to explain, I sent people to that end.
Marc T
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Marc T »

I joined the queue at the pop side at 14.20pm, got to the turnstile, went to hand over a £20 note, to be told "it's all ticket for the pop side and we're at capacity, so you have to go to the away end".......
I replied, "why isn't there anyone walking up and down the queues outside the pop side advising of this? “
He just shrugged his shoulders.

As I was coming back away from the turnstile, another disgruntled fan was emerging the adjacent turnstile, clutching his cash, nodding his head in dispair.

I was happy in the away end, and understood the reasoning for the control to the popside, but thought there at least could have been someone anouncing/ advising (shouting) to all that it was ticket only for the pop side, cash for the away end.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I got to the pop side turnstile at 2.30 and the girl me
told she couldn't take cash and to go to the babbacombe end. I thought fair dos, I could have brought on line but kept putting it off and I could have left the pub earlier, so all in all my fault.
I got in anyway to the babbacombe end and am grateful the club facilitated this so I and everybody else who wanted to come was able to be there on that historic day.
I don't think criticism of the club or the staff is fair. This has been a learning curve for both club and supporters, I don't think anyone foresaw this given that we had only two gates over 3000 before yesterday.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Think, unfortunately, we have been a victim of our success, with larger crowds, there is/has been a similar problem with tickets for Bristow’s Bench. You buy tickets on line with a designated seat and you arrive to find someone sat in it as the stewards have said ‘sit where you like’
Do think going forward, especially if we continue to be successful, the club needs to sort this out.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

A shame that with an extra 2,000 there we didn't produce the form we have been showing at home all season. Think the players were a bit anxious and keen not to do anything silly but just get the job done, hence a lot of safety first football. You always want us to turn it on when a big crowd turns up but it seldom happens. I hope we don't relax too much over the last 3 games and keep up our standards, St Albans will be going for the play offs so should ensure a competitive match and Chippenham will be keen to do the double over the Champions.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Forgot to add that when that second goal went in
it was one of the biggest Plainmoor roars I have heard for many years - a great moment
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

desperado wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 20:30 Forgot to add that when that second goal went in
it was one of the biggest Plainmoor roars I have heard for many years - a great moment
That was the moment we knew we'd won the league. I'm glad there was a single moment of joy when we knew it was won.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Ah yes, the Plainmoor Roar. It used to be commonplace, but now it hardly ever gets a mention, if it occurs at all.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

The Roar occurred on Saturday. Watch ( listen to ) the edited highlights if you are in any doubt.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The club announced on Friday that the gates would open 5 minutes earlier than usual, ie at 1.40pm but on Saturday the order was given to open at 1.30pm.
But at Woking a week earlier their turnstiles opened at 12noon. I was stood there from 1.15pm to 2.30pm giving out TUST brochures and there were no lengthy queues.
Surely open earlier and more food/drink is sold. A lesson for Easter Monday?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Having purchased tickets online (at just before 11pm on Friday) I didn't have a problem getting in, however the reports above do portray the normal shambolic situation which occurs when the crowd exceeds about 2000.

I'm pretty sure that it said on the website that you could only obtain access to the away end by means of a ticket. As I walked past the away stand turnstiles I am pretty sure there were printed messages saying that you could only gain access by first purchasing a ticket.

You clearly CANNOT publish these details and change your mind with the arrangements 25 minutes before kick off. That's just a farce - as is having one window for people to collect/buy tickets for other parts of the ground.

There was also plenty of room in the popside and its impossible to see how with a crowd of 4500 that area was deemed to be full. Completely daft.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

gateman49 wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 15:50 Effectively the Pop side was all ticket from the time we opened (to control the total allowed in). When we signed on we were given a small batch of tickets which was the remainder after pre-sales and when somebody turned up with cash we took the money and issued a ticket. This we did until we ran out. From that time we only allowed in pre-bought and season ticket holders. However, later another small batch was brought to us and we were able to let in a few more cash payers.

Once tickets were sold the message was simple and that was to go to the Babbacombe End which did not fill by any manner of means. I don't know why you were sent back to the ticket office and, on my forays out to explain, I sent people to that end.
That was the problem - mixed messages. You and presumably others on the turnstiles were telling people to go to the Babbacombe End whereas we, and others, were told by stewards outside the turnstiles that we had to get tickets for the Pop Side from the Office. Yes - there was plenty of room at the Babbacombe End, but as Brucie says, there was room on the Pop Side as well.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Sat in Bristows bench I was supposed with the amount of room left on the pop side as well as the seats in the family stand. I can on,y imagine the club were making noises that it was closer to a sell out than it was to scare people into buying tickets as they knew the system is crap.

I had no problem gaining entry as I got there early. I got the seats a chose online but it disappointing to hear stewardes are telling people to ‘sit where you like’ what is the point in having an online system to choose your seats if you can’t sit in said seats?? I think Basil Fawlty could do a better job or organising a ticketing system
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

The pop side limit may have been set by a SAG, that is why it didn't appear full. Unfilled seats might have been no shows.