Takeover of the club at an advanced stage

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

Richinns wrote:. Nicho has proved many doubters wrong and has bravely faced almost impossible circumstances to get us within a sniff of survival. Succeed or fail he has already earnt his right to start next season as the manager of our club.
Proved doubters wrong? Despite the recent half decent run he has led the team into the relegation zone and there have been some pretty poor performances along the way. As much as I want him to do well his record is not good. Hence why survival is still very much in the balance.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

The adage of Greeks and gifts would of course apply to anyone putting their name forward at this stage. Up until now Masters has been similarly black painted. I simply don't know whether today's news is good or bad because I don't know any of these people. What has become clear I feel is that if we are to run a break even club it's not going to get back in the league sadly. To try to do that we are going to run a risk with somebody saying they want to put money in at sometime. Our gates are simply too low to fund league football on their own ( and hopefully too high because the hardcore have stuck by it admirably ) to entertain Conference South for too long. In that sense not owning the ground at this stage may just possibly not be a totally bad thing!

Added in 10 minutes 56 seconds:
Hear what you say Realist. The acid test of Kevin Nicholson is however now to come in my view. He has got us back to near par. Whether he can get the best of the players he has brought in to allow to us to escape determines how we judge him.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

tomogull wrote:

This is sooooo unfair to Kevin Nicholson. He came as manager of a club on its knees and well on its way to National South. I wasn't thrilled by his appointment but on a shoe-string budget, he has brought in players who are showing fight and determination to keep us in the National League. As others have posted, he deserves to be here next season, whatever happens this season. He has shown loyalty by coming back to the club when in a desperate position, both in football and financial terms. The club should reward him with some loyalty with what he is achieving.
Think there is a bit of retroactive history there. It took Nico twice the amount of games to reach 10 pts that it did Paul Cox and Cox had a stinker of a first 10 games thanks to the way the schedule was set out. Even after the disaster of the (very brief) Dean Edwards managerial reign, the club still had plenty of time to right itself. It was Nico's 1 win out of 12 until the FGR game on Boxing Day that left us staring relegation in the face. A matter that has only recently challenged by the team's belated uptick in form.

Nico didn't take over a Cox team wallowing in the mire, he took over an indifferent poorly performing team that had been through a tough opening 10 games and made it worse before his recruits in the January transfer window, which he should be praised for (especially from myself who was harsh on the club at the time), started to turn the team around but have stalled of late.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

We are still in the relegation zone, talk of Nicholson keeping his job is a little premature, I think.
As for the takeover talks, I hope that Mr Phillips and Mr Breed are more discerning than Mr Bateson.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Its happening!

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 32607.aspx

Also the return of the youth set up, is this where Harrop is involved?
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

great news!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Kevgull, I think that you do Mike Bateson a disservice in your earlier comment.

Indeed, let's all hope that this is good news rather than just assuming so, there is a long way to go!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

This is a bad time for any take over the club needs to be stable going into the final games. I think it would be better if we all cooled it let the board get on with it as a little to much information or comments could upset the apple cart because at the moment we have a chance to stay up, but once feelings creep in to the squad our chance may go as team spirit goes.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

A friend of mine has looked this company up and it appears that the last 6 ventures have either been struck off or have a deficit.
Worrying?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

arcadia wrote:This is a bad time for any take over the club needs to be stable going into the final games. I think it would be better if we all cooled it let the board get on with it as a little to much information or comments could upset the apple cart because at the moment we have a chance to stay up, but once feelings creep in to the squad our chance may go as team spirit goes.
Fully agree, Arcadia. Good post :-D
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

arcadia wrote:This is a bad time for any take over the club needs to be stable going into the final games. I think it would be better if we all cooled it let the board get on with it as a little to much information or comments could upset the apple cart because at the moment we have a chance to stay up, but once feelings creep in to the squad our chance may go as team spirit goes.
I'd guess that is exactly why David Phillips has written that statement and as I suspected it's also clarified the position of the mob in the background who have tried their best to unsettle the current board.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

I would be interested in knowing what any Crawley fans think............one of the Directors was involved at their Club
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

As someone who has been involved in the game at a reasonable level could you explain this?

I often hear of players being unsettled by off field issues but it seems peculiar to me. My work output isn't affected by any boardroom shenanigans (and we have had plenty!).

Do these things really affect a players performance? Surely once they "cross the white line" they are fully focused on the task at hand.
Foxhole
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Foxhole »

If I had a child looking for an Academy place I don't think I would be looking favorably on Torquay - it opens and closes far too frequently for any sort of stability - I think given a significant investment in both time and money it would be a good thing but I would take some convincing that it would be different this time around.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I know little or nothing about 'business', but it seems to me that - at this moment - anything is better than dropping into Conference South oblivion or, worse, dropping out altogether.
Whatever is going on behind the scenes remains a mystery to me (and a good thing too!), but for all my leg-pulling with forecasting negative results(done for a laugh rather than thinking my predictions have any value whatsoever) I - like all of us - have the good of the club at heart and so can only wish the negotiators well.