Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Richard Hill has just left Eastleigh... Leaving one Chris Todd in temporary charge.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Come on, what qualifies any chairman, C.E.O or director of any football club to choose a first team manager ?

They look at all applicants C.V's, what previous clubs they've managed, how successful they've been, how successful they've been in recruiting players, our C.E.O has the ability to contact a potential new managers previous employer and check any info given at interview. one of our former directors told me personally our club asked Martin Ling a lot of searching questions when he was interviewed about his time at Cambridge.

Our C.E.O has the ability to understand it's not about appointing the first big name who says yes, I'll do the job, it's about getting the right person, for example, not someone who once managed in the Championship, but someone with a proven track record at this level, and understands what's needed like Paul Cox .

It's also little things like, can our C.E.O board form a good working relationship with a potential candidate for the job, you don't have to be a football expert to get this right, how many clubs out there are run by people with that expertise to pick the right manager, not many, after all, why are so many managers sacked.
Formerly known as forevertufc
DaveysBarTab
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: none right now

Post by DaveysBarTab »

:goodpost:

Of the names mentioned in the herald, only Ling would be an option. The rest are too risky in terms of experience. I wouldnt mind Ling + lee mansell as player/assistant.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

DaveysBarTab wrote::goodpost:

Of the names mentioned in the herald, only Ling would be an option. The rest are too risky in terms of experience. I wouldnt mind Ling + lee mansell as player/assistant.
Ling would probably not be the best option due to his health issues. It's going to be a very stressful job in between the financial issues, fighting relegation (hopefully only initially) and possibly having to deal with other groups circling around the club. Also he hasn't managed in the Conference for a good while now. As much as I'd love to see him back and be greatly successful I'm not sure it'd be the best option. The club absolutely has to make the right decision now because I doubt we'd survive if we went into the Conference South. If we could get him back as an assistant under someone else I'd be all for it but we just don't have that kind of cash in good times let alone now.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

forevertufc wrote:Come on, what qualifies any chairman, C.E.O or director of any football club to choose a first team manager ?

They look at all applicants C.V's, what previous clubs they've managed, how successful they've been, how successful they've been in recruiting players, our C.E.O has the ability to contact a potential new managers previous employer and check any info given at interview. one of our former directors told me personally our club asked Martin Ling a lot of searching questions when he was interviewed about his time at Cambridge.

Our C.E.O has the ability to understand it's not about appointing the first big name who says yes, I'll do the job, it's about getting the right person, for example, not someone who once managed in the Championship, but someone with a proven track record at this level, and understands what's needed like Paul Cox .

It's also little things like, can our C.E.O board form a good working relationship with a potential candidate for the job, you don't have to be a football expert to get this right, how many clubs out there are run by people with that expertise to pick the right manager, not many, after all, why are so many managers sacked.

Easy decision
The one who will accept £200 pw wage
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I think the board have to follow Batesons advice or the route he went down when he was in charge and it would be good for our chairman to have drink with him to see if he can learn from some of his experiences. We need a manager that we can afford,has watched a few games knowing what players we need getting the names of the players he has in mind as time is not on our side. This will give an insight of what to expect if you appoint him. This can be an experienced or a inexperienced as the latter will want to prove that they are good enough to manage at this level if it's their first job. We can't afford to live above our needs for very long.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

mushroom wrote:Easy decision
The one who will accept £200 pw wage
I'm perfectly well aware of the current situation at our football club, well aware that any wage on offer to a potential new manager is going to be low. But we're not talking about appointing a new corporate sales director at M+S or any other available retail outlet are we, we're talking about appointing a manager to what is now an average sized non-league football club.

A relatively low wage will not necessarily put off an out work manager with a proven track record at "our" level, a candidate who wants to get back into to high profile football management may look at TUFC as a CV building challenge worth the risk in having a go at, after all achieve success with us right now, there's clubs further up the food chain that will soon come knocking.

Above all though, if you really are the person that people think you are, why are you messing around on the fans site of a little football club, what are hoping to gain from coming on here foretelling the next disaster that's going hit our club, open up and tell us what your on with.
Formerly known as forevertufc
sevilla66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by sevilla66 »

I believe that it would be a serious error of judgement on the part of the Board to appoint a former player as manager, particularly any of the names mentioned thus far in the press, viz Nicholson , Joyce et al . Hargreaves was arguably an appointment in which the heart ruled the head as regards those in charge at the time.

It is absolutely imperative that a rigorous selection process is undertaken in view of the perilous position the team has fallen to in the league. If Martin Ling has applied for the position then he should be judged on his previous results and experience as a manager and not on the basis that he had severe depression a couple of years ago- people do recover from mental illness and if Martin can provide evidence of recovery then he should certainly be considered as a serious candidate.

On the basis that we have a hardcore of around 1600 to 1700 fans if somehow we could ,each of us ,scrape together an average of £30 per person and donate it into a segregated and ring fenced bank account that would provide the club with around £50000 for the new managers salary. I would suggest no more than a 3 month notice period on either side ie no long term contract for the first 12 months and then the position of a longer term notice period could be considered. Long term contracts both for players and managers at this level can prove financial suicide for any club
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I don't understand David Thomas and his obsession with Kevin Nicholson. Is it a sign that he just has not got a clue who the next manager could be when he is bandying lazy names like Ling, Nicholson and Joyce, or that he is just lazy? I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned Tully. Or Tim Sills. Hasn't he learnt from the Wes Saunders/Chris Hargreaves outcomes?
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

hector wrote:I don't understand David Thomas and his obsession with Kevin Nicholson. Is it a sign that he just has not got a clue who the next manager could be when he is bandying lazy names like Ling, Nicholson and Joyce, or that he is just lazy? I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned Tully. Or Tim Sills. Hasn't he learnt from the Wes Saunders/Chris Hargreaves outcomes?
Mix of laziness and no clue. It's no surprise that the one time that the Herald Express broke any news since Thea announced she was stepping down was when Dave Thomas was on holiday.

I guarantee there will be nothing about all the rumours swirling around the club over the past week in the HE, nothing about Mushroom and heaven forbid that DT might actually do some investigative journalism and actually discover something (he won't) or make the larger non online fanbase aware of some of the things that have been rumoured the last couple days.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Joyce & Tully don't knock them as they've done good jobs at the standard and might know the players to survive at the right money I am also not saying appoint them as I or you don't know who has applied. I thought Cox started well but thought he lost his way, a bit of a one trick pony sticking with a formation that was not working. Hargreaves had no experience I don't know about Saunders. We are not a football league side now we've got to survive this season
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Cox : appointed just before pre season and hastily cobbled together a half decent squad to start the 2015/16 season.

Job done.

The brief of the next manager will be to push on and avoid relegation.

Like Cox, they'll be offered expenses only and promised the earth in the future. If successful? Thanks but no thanks.

Job done.

Like politics, football is a shitty business.

:engflag:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Trojan 67 wrote: Like politics, football is a shitty business. :engflag:
Politics a shitty business ??? What an old cynic you are, Trojan !! ;-)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Joyce, Tully ,North, Nicholson or Ling are not what we want. Get any of these in and we will be relegated now. Whatever you say about Steve Breed he does know his football and I can't believe for one moment that any of these names are in the frame at all. if they are - god help us, we are doomed.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I maintain North is a good coach. Happy to see him back but probably under someone with experience of a dogfight in this league!

Ling deserves better than throwing him into this mess - especially as he suffers from depression!

Agree that throwing in Joyce, Tully or Nico is a massive risk.

However - the budget will dictate the appointment and seeing as their is no budget the next appointment is likely to have to be a risk!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/