Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Jpr wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 11:44 Calm down, you sound like you are 10 years old. If you are then I can forgive you panicking, things are changing all the time, to remove GJ now will make absolutely no difference whatsoever. GJ is too long in the tooth and very experienced to see it go rotten. Being 10 years old you won’t understand but rest assured GJ and the team will get out of this current predicament.

We Go down, because something needs to change, Gary and Aron are not providing that something, we could be relegated before Christmas at this current rate. So a young manager with a young squad May just bring out a fresh lease of live. Because it ain’t working at the moment and it broke last season something ain’t right.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Gary Johnson quoted in the Torbay Weekly " I can understand people's worries about that" (long drawn out relegation battle) "I'm not worried about that right now, because 100% I believe that's not an option , that won't happen"
Jesus ! Time to wake up Gary !!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Bringing all these young loanees in from Championship clubs - 18 the latest defender - however great a prospect they may be is a recipe for disaster (relegation)
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

It'll soon be time for "Gaffer Reacts to (Insert NL team name) defeat"

"Well Gaffer, unlucky again"

"Yeah, we done good but I keep telling the lads to put the white round thing between the two wooden sticks at the other end and to stop the round white thing going between the two white sticks behind them The guy with the whistle could do more to help us win. We'll try again this week working on getting the white round thing to roll along the green stuff under their feet not the blue stuff above their head."
Last edited by Chelston TUFC on 08 Oct 2022, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Awaiting the latest dribble of excuses in the after match interview.....no doubt with over polite questions as always...some things never change.
I await in anticipation
sevilla99
New Signing
New Signing

Post by sevilla99 »

Constant barrage of criticism aimed at Gary Johnson is unjustified. He has been and still is a very good manager who has the ability and experience to achieve a decent league position this season. Of course things would be significantly easier if more financial resources were available but in the present economic climate this situation is unlikely to come about. Those calling for his replacement should be careful what they wish for - remember Cox, Knill, Hargreaves. Owers and Nicholson, none of whom can hold a candle to Gary Johnson
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

sevilla99 wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 22:05 Constant barrage of criticism aimed at Gary Johnson is unjustified. He has been and still is a very good manager who has the ability and experience to achieve a decent league position this season. Of course things would be significantly easier if more financial resources were available but in the present economic climate this situation is unlikely to come about. Those calling for his replacement should be careful what they wish for - remember Cox, Knill, Hargreaves. Owers and Nicholson, none of whom can hold a candle to Gary Johnson
It's absolutely justified. He has assembled a squad that is clearly not fit for purpose, he has 'managed' us to bottom of the league, outplayed in virtually every game this season. We can barely score and to describe our defending as fragile is being generous. He seems bereft of any idea of how to change it. We are currently heading back to the abyss of regional football once more. This isn't just 2 or 3 games in, we have played 13 games, over a quarter of the season gone of repeated poor performance. We cannot afford to say we must keep a manager based on one NLS title and a failed promotion final 2 seasons ago. If you think that under such circumstances, any criticism of the manger is unjust, well I don't know when you think it would be?
Juat because we have had poor mangers in the past, and can't think instantly of who might take over doesn't mean we should stick with the appalling situation we have.
If Johnson turns this around, then great, but can't see it myself. I bet even Johnson himself can't believe he hasn't been sacked because he knows at virtually any other club he would have been!
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

SWgull wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 07:52 It's absolutely justified. He has assembled a squad that is clearly not fit for purpose, he has 'managed' us to bottom of the league, outplayed in virtually every game this season. We can barely score and to describe our defending as fragile is being generous. He seems bereft of any idea of how to change it. We are currently heading back to the abyss of regional football once more. This isn't just 2 or 3 games in, we have played 13 games, over a quarter of the season gone of repeated poor performance. We cannot afford to say we must keep a manager based on one NLS title and a failed promotion final 2 seasons ago. If you think that under such circumstances, any criticism of the manger is unjust, well I don't know when you think it would be?
Juat because we have had poor mangers in the past, and can't think instantly of who might take over doesn't mean we should stick with the appalling situation we have.
If Johnson turns this around, then great, but can't see it myself. I bet even Johnson himself can't believe he hasn't been sacked because he knows at virtually any other club he would have been!
Any other manager would be gone. There would be banners on the Pop but for some reason no one wants to shout ‘Johnson out’ because it just doesn’t feel right. The tactics haven’t changed so he’s got to go, there are no hints that he can turn it around.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

The last home game we should have won, i only listened to the radio yesterday, but it sounded a very even affair. We are not getting thumped and I feel that if we keep things as they are then performances will steadily improve. Stick with the current setup! Thats what I say!
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

toastkid wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 08:53 The last home game we should have won, i only listened to the radio yesterday, but it sounded a very even affair. We are not getting thumped and I feel that if we keep things as they are then performances will steadily improve. Stick with the current setup! Thats what I say!
Did you listen to TUFC Radio? BBC York said we were the worst team they’d seen this season. Scunthorpe made a change early enough.
Attachments
63C84FFA-D399-4F8B-A309-0554E8187491.jpeg
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Sevilla 99, a new user comes on the forum late in the evening to defend the manager, how strange!!!!, when the reality is the manager strugges to defend the manager, listened to the post match twice, he rambled, he needed prompting from the tame interviewer and at one stage I am sure he said Moxey had to come on to cover for an injury, strange I thought Moxey was on and lasted 80 odd minutes.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

As i have previously said I believe we are stuck with the Brothers Johnson and the assistant manager until their contracts expire probably in the summer. Uncle Clarke isn't going to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds to sack the trio and pay them off and have to replace them with a new management team. Never forget the Osborne has no interest in Torquay United football club and it's not important to him which league the club are playing in.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

I don’t know why Johnson hasn’t brought in some pacey wide men yet. Last season we loaned Sparkes, Duke-McKenna and Wearne. We already had Johnson and O’Connell on the books too. Why we don’t revert to his old tactics of using width and pace I’ll never know.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

toastkid wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 08:53 The last home game we should have won, i only listened to the radio yesterday, but it sounded a very even affair. We are not getting thumped and I feel that if we keep things as they are then performances will steadily improve. Stick with the current setup! Thats what I say!
Keep the optimism going: sometimes when the team is in a dark place fans will think we are dead and buried when actually we have just planted seeds that will bloom and grow.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Here's an idea, play Moxey in front of a back 4! Any thoughts?