Torquay United v Yeovil New Year's Day 2020

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I should have added that Niate hauled down Murphy on the half way line!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Of course when we get Wynter and Davis back we will be stronger because we will at least have two proper full backs instead of two centre halves filling in there.

Of course when we get Vincent and Little back in midfield that's going to be a quality midfield alongside Evans. Vincent was outstanding this season and has been a huge miss as well as Davis.

Don't forget we picked up another four injuries in the first match against Yeovil. So any comparison between the sides doesn't really stand up does it?

Take all Yeovils midfielders out (as well as their first choice full backs) and put them up against our full strength side and you would obviously get a different result.

They may have deserved to win today but they have had two games against basically a cobbled together side. If they are that good how come they lost to Sutton?
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

What an experienced keeper Yeovil had between the sticks yesterday. He was playing for Brentford when we beat them 1-3 at Griffin Park in December 2004. Constantine with a hat-trick. Many of our players would still have been in primary school then.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

We were tactically inept, how can the manager and assistant not change things when all can see that hit and hope is not working. Yes we should have had an obvious penalty for handball early on (and another good shout for handball late on)(c/f the instant penalisation of Hall for handball when he accidentally mis-controlled the ball with his feet), but thereafter we had no control of the midfield - Hall and CLE just did not play together, the wide men were too strung out, and the forwards got no service. So how did our management expect us to get something from the game?
Lewis had no support on the right, Keating should be out there. James should be on controlling the midfield. CLE keeps the ball too long and can't shoot straight, Hall is too slow now.
Yes, the injury toll has been wicked, but we are nearly two-thirds through the season and do not have a style of play to control a game, come on Gary we should be more compact and competitive..
Tommy17
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tommy17 »

Disappointing yesterday.
We are playing to many out of position and Niate was shocking, my grandson said to me 20min earlier he would be sent off.
Cameron will have to go back to center half but who do we play left back.(Andrews)???
We are desperate for a experienced keeper and a experienced center half to play along side Cameron.
Reidy28
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Reidy28 »

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/cundy-joins-torquay-united/

Assuming Cundys loan has ended?
Am I right in saying Connor Lemonheigh-Evans & Opi Edwards loans have now ended... not sure if they were full season loans...
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Reidy28 wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 13:29 https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/cundy-joins-torquay-united/

Assuming Cundys loan has ended?
Am I right in saying Connor Lemonheigh-Evans & Opi Edwards loans have now ended... not sure if they were full season loans...
And according to Dave Thomas, Herald Express, we won't be seeing Saiko Janneh again in United's colours. In my opinion, as well as the injury list, there were players yesterday who were not fully back to match fitness or still carrying injuries. I'm thinking especially of Reid, Lemonheigh-Evans and Andrews. Niate won some important headers and some of his crossfield passes were very good, but the trouble is he's good in the air but you never quite know what his feet are going to do. You just know that there's at least one mistake coming. He maybe could get away with it last season, but not in a higher league.

As others have posted, we were outplayed by a stronger, better organised side - even with 10 men - and they deserved their win. However, I would like to see the match stats. Unless my memory is playing tricks, I think their 'keeper had more shots to save than Covolan. Yes - they were routine saves which even South Devon league 'keepers would make, but they were shots/headers on target. Although I'm typing this through gritted teeth, I think Yeovil are the best team we've seen at Plainmoor so far and will probably go straight back up.

Another factor with how we are playing at the moment is a lack of confidence throughout the side. Nobody really wants the ball and everyone is taking the easy option - pass sideways or backwards. Yes - there are one or two players out there who aren't hacking it in this league but once we get the semblance of a settled side again, we shall be okay.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Highlights on Yeovil's YouTube. they make us look a lot better. Even though we were woeful we did carve out some good chances.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

tomogull wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 22:16 And according to Dave Thomas, Herald Express, we won't be seeing Saiko Janneh again in United's colours. In my opinion, as well as the injury list, there were players yesterday who were not fully back to match fitness or still carrying injuries. I'm thinking especially of Reid, Lemonheigh-Evans and Andrews. Niate won some important headers and some of his crossfield passes were very good, but the trouble is he's good in the air but you never quite know what his feet are going to do. You just know that there's at least one mistake coming. He maybe could get away with it last season, but not in a higher league.

As others have posted, we were outplayed by a stronger, better organised side - even with 10 men - and they deserved their win. However, I would like to see the match stats. Unless my memory is playing tricks, I think their 'keeper had more shots to save than Covolan. Yes - they were routine saves which even South Devon league 'keepers would make, but they were shots/headers on target. Although I'm typing this through gritted teeth, I think Yeovil are the best team we've seen at Plainmoor so far and will probably go straight back up.

Another factor with how we are playing at the moment is a lack of confidence throughout the side. Nobody really wants the ball and everyone is taking the easy option - pass sideways or backwards. Yes - there are one or two players out there who aren't hacking it in this league but once we get the semblance of a settled side again, we shall be okay.
A total of 2 attempts, 1 on target in the first half and 5 attempts, 3 on target second half - only one forced a serious save though. We had no attempts at all during the periods when we had parity in the number of players (approx first and last 15 mins).
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Covolan
Cundy
Lewis
Cameron
Whitfield Andrews playing wbs
Hall Cdm
Evans/ Nemane Cams
Keating/Reid upfront

Collins
Olaf
Lewington
James
On the bench
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I agree with Tomogull largely.
We did have chances in the last 15. James hit a peach at the end.

It seemed that when we were desperate at the end, we sprung into life. Pity we didn't when we had 11 players on the pitch.

I was hoping for a formation change at half time.

Hey ho. I still have faith in the manager and the team. Could do with Dixon back if you ask me.

Onwards and upwards.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Vlog of the game 🎥 if you have time let us know what you think. COYY