Torquayunited v Woking Fa Cup 1st round 10/11/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

We had enough chances yesterday to win the game comfortably. I cant recall our keeper making any significant saves during the game, How did he get the sponsors MOM?? Did I miss something??
The conditions weren't easy but I thought we were generally well in control. Our first touch let us down on many occasions but the same could have been levelled at Woking.
I was in the popside in line when the Lineman missed the offside. It was a simple offside decision to make, it wasn't even close.
Our lack of experience did show in the second half, similar to the Billericay game, we lacked composure. Understandable I guess when you play such a young side. We missed Asa Hall more than ever yesterday.
I ve said it for sometime Wynter and Niate are the weak links in defence and the last 3 games have showed that.
Going forward I think GJ knows exactly what we need to strengthen the squad in the right areas. We need two big performances now at home to get the momentum going again.
AmberArmy
Trialist
Trialist

Post by AmberArmy »

Woking number 9 was nowhere near the ball or interfering with play for the penalty so couldn’t have been offside.

On the foul, he had to bring back play because HE HAD ALREADY GIVEN THE FOUL before the tackle in the area.

Penalty was a scandalous decision though.

Interesting to see the view that only Torquay players are allowed to celebrate in front of opposition fans? But when the opposition does it it’s BANG OUT OF ORDER? Please advise.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

lucy6lucy wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 22:11 So slating our leading goal scorer, what's your alternative solution notnow??
yes he is our leading goal scorer which you keep mentioning, with the chances he has had over the years he should have scored loads more, what’s my alternative solution you ask? Well, I don’t hold the purse strings, however, I would be surprised if GJ keeps him outside his contract, he may loan him out and bring in someone else, we can’t afford to keep missing goal opportunities and sadly Reid does that far to often.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

On those highlights we didn't do too badly and created enough chances to win three games.

Obviously we have been mugged off by the referee who looks about 14 years old and just wasn't up to it in front of that crowd. The penalty is a joke - or it would be if there wasn't 40 grand or whatever riding on that decision.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

AmberArmy wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 09:51 Woking number 9 was nowhere near the ball or interfering with play for the penalty so couldn’t have been offside.

On the foul, he had to bring back play because HE HAD ALREADY GIVEN THE FOUL before the tackle in the area.

Penalty was a scandalous decision though.

Interesting to see the view that only Torquay players are allowed to celebrate in front of opposition fans? But when the opposition does it it’s BANG OUT OF ORDER? Please advise.
What rubbish you talk.

1) The Woking number 9 was drawing Torquay’s defence with him, they had to cover him, of course he was interfering with play.

2) The ref had waved play on, why did he suddenly change his mind? Because he lost the plot that’s why.

3) The celebrations from Woking were way OTT, formation fricking dancing well after the final whistle just to rub in a lucky win. And Gerring insulted the whole Torquay pop side, not that I care, it is the level of his intelligence.

I look forward to payback in the away game.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

brucie wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 11:28 On those highlights we didn't do too badly and created enough chances to win three games.

Obviously we have been mugged off by the referee who looks about 14 years old and just wasn't up to it in front of that crowd. The penalty is a joke - or it would be if there wasn't 40 grand or whatever riding on that decision.
Just watched them

Have to say it looks like a fantastic tackle from Niate ball moves in a different direction - probably his only good tackle all game and gives away a penalty for it!

But as the highlights so we created enough chances to win the game but didnt but any away,

Find a fecking striker!
Rayzie
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Liam Davis

Post by Rayzie »

I can understand how G.J. is so frustrated at losing that cup game as the fans are as well. We mostly dominated the match and had enough chances to win easily. I thought the referee had a good game over the 90 minutes but totally wrecked his performance with two so important decisions. Firstly after watching the highlights it was never a penalty as Niate got a toe to the ball before the player went down. Then he blew too early for the foul on Evans.If he had played on for another couple of seconds we would have got a penalty for a foul on Janneh.
Torquay need now to put the sword to St.Albans on Tuesday then again to Concord on Saturday and Plainmoor will be really buzzing again.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Gentlemen & ladies, of course, I have a niggling little feeling inside, I don't think I need to see a dr or even buy some cream for it.
What it is is, please take a look into the future to the NLS playoffs where by hook or by crook we have managed to find ourselves in the final against none other than Wanking fc, oops sorry, oops, sorry, must check my spelling, Woking fc.
Woking manage to be in the playoffs due to the fact they threw away a 3-1 lead in the last 5 minutes versus Gloucester city fc to draw 3-3 with Ben Gerring the villain as he gave away a 86th minute pen & haplessly puts past his own keeper in the 2nd minute of injury time.
This result gifted Billericay Town the title on goal difference of +1 & sent the majority of the 863 gathering home crying into their hoodies.
Torquay dominate the final, but find it hard to score, eventually Jamie Reid & Jake Robinson, signed by Gary Johnson in the new year, after persistent enquiries, Glenn Tamplin agreed an undisclosed fee surprisingly for the hot shot striker.
2-0 to Torquay & an immediate return to the NLP secured by the Johnson family.
I believe in fate , you get what you deserve in this world & every thing comes to those who wait......
Or do I need to see someone about this ?
Ooh my head hurts.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

AmberArmy wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 09:51 On the foul, he had to bring back play because HE HAD ALREADY GIVEN THE FOUL before the tackle in the area.
I think you're wrong. He acknowledged the first foul but waved play on because we had the advantage. He therefore should have given the penalty (and it was a nailed-on penalty) but the ref bottled it. I know there are refs at local level who read the Forum. I wonder how they read the incident.

Funny how we see games differently. Arcadia thought Ryan Dickson had a 'quiet game'. I thought he was very much involved and had a very good game. He would have definitely been in my 'top five'. Similarly, there have been a couple of comments about Ben Wynter. I thought he had a good game as well. Got his tackles in and brought players into the game. His best game for us wso far in my opinion.

It was one of those horrible games where the ball wouldn't go over the line, however much we huffed and puffed. We played well in the first half, but after Woking took the lead, we panicked a bit and everything became rushed. We lost our composure. The fact that Shaun MacDonald had little to do and that their 'keeper was their 'man of the match' says it all. On another day and another ref, it would have been a different result. A word on Ben Gerring - he was obviously told to mark Jamie Reid and he did it very effectively. You can't take that away from him.
CardinalNewman
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Jason Banton

Post by CardinalNewman »

Slightly longer highlights are available on our website: http://www.wokingfc.co.uk/tv/v/1090/2/

Featuring a few decisions you may want to dissect! Thank you for your hospitality on Saturday and I look forward to your visit in the league in April, which I'm sure will be even more hotly contested then Saturday's game!
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

CardinalNewman wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 23:07 Slightly longer highlights are available on our website: http://www.wokingfc.co.uk/tv/v/1090/2/

Featuring a few decisions you may want to dissect! Thank you for your hospitality on Saturday and I look forward to your visit in the league in April, which I'm sure will be even more hotly contested then Saturday's game!
More confirmation that the Match Referee was an impersonator for a real referee, he must have mugged the real one on his way to Plainmoor and nicked his outfit.

The penalty decision was diabolical in terms both of the lead up to it (Woking number 9 early offside) and the incident itself. The pop side linesman must have been asleep to miss the offside (as he was for the whole game, asleep, poorly positioned and generally crap). The ref was too lazy/unfit/useless (pick any or all) to keep up with play and see the game clearly.

The second half incident video replay demonstrates that the referee was watching the game in slow motion, he clearly waved play on and then changed his mind, during which time a Gulls player had been hacked down in the box. Was the ref blind?
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Yep those highlights just confirm what we all thought at the time! Niate makes a brilliant tackle in the box and you can clearly see their forward starting his dive even before the tackle comes in!

The one we should have had is probably just poor refereeing to be honest. I think he tries to play an advantage but then doesn’t actually give himself sufficient time to see what comes of it and blows his whistle just as a clear foul is made in their box!

As for Gerring, I had some sympathy with him when I saw his tweet but his reaction at the end - jumping over the fence and into the crowd - shows a complete lack of class and respect to a club that offered him the chance to play at National League level and who he purports to “support”. Sorry Ben, celebrate with your fans by all means, just not like that!

As for the “neutral” fan who couldn’t understand why the home fans were accusing Woking of being cheats. Perhaps it was more a case of the fact that we felt “cheated” which we were by the officials. Although you could also argue that the time wasting tactics, blatantly kicking the ball away etc - which to be fair the referee did punish with yellow cards, together with some pretty reckless fouls (mainly on our best player I noticed - Lemonheigh-Evans) were also part of the reason for that reaction from the home fans.

Fair play to Woking, they came and did a job on us, they celebrated at the end like it was a major upset - which seems a little strange given their standing (four points above us) in the same League!

As for us, we have not had a lot of luck over the last three games, despite playing very well - albeit only in patches. We now need to focus all our efforts on getting promotion and to do that we clearly need to bring two or three better players in and not only that but hopefully we might have a fully fit squad over the course of the next couple of weeks.

We will certainly be stronger when Bass, Sendles-White, Sokolik, Hall and Edwards are all back in contention, and hopefully they are all not too far away now. Well let’s hope so anyway.

With a fully fit squad and a couple of quality additions, together with our full time status (which should reap rewards as the season progresses surely) - there is no reason why we still can’t win this League and if we do, this disappointing result will be long forgotten come the end of the season. Mind you if we get more match officials like those on Saturday... we might even struggle to stay up!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Agree with Tomo , I thought Wynter had a good game, he was reading the game and anticipating and getting forward well. It's about time Cameron won the toss ! Think the players and supporters are always happier when we attack the Ellacombe End in the second half, maybe tomorrow. We need to get right up with the leaders soon and then the odd draw or defeat is not so damaging, this playing catch-up creates more pressure
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

CP Gull's post is spot on. Say what you want but we have been luckless over the past three games.

The referee was astonishingly poor. The incident where he has clearly played an advantage and blows his whistle when Janneh is brought down in the box is an atrocious decision.

As for Gerring - well don't really know why he was celebrating that much - he did his normal impression of a traffic cone and was lucky he didn't give a goal away when Reid nipped in front of him.

He can probably thank his lucky stars that the excellent Opi Edwards wasn't playing as he would have had the clod hopping Gerring on toast.

Can't wait for tomorrow and looking forward to the game. If we can add a couple of bodies and get a couple of our major injuries back I still think thers a good chance of a momentum shift in our favour.

I don't think there is any pressure - one game at a time. No reason why we can't see off St Albans and Concord Rangers.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

brucie wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 10:46 CP Gull's post is spot on. Say what you want but we have been luckless over the past three games.

The referee was astonishingly poor. The incident where he has clearly played an advantage and blows his whistle when Janneh is brought down in the box is an atrocious decision.

As for Gerring - well don't really know why he was celebrating that much - he did his normal impression of a traffic cone and was lucky he didn't give a goal away when Reid nipped in front of him.

He can probably thank his lucky stars that the excellent Opi Edwards wasn't playing as he would have had the clod hopping Gerring on toast.

Can't wait for tomorrow and looking forward to the game. If we can add a couple of bodies and get a couple of our major injuries back I still think thers a good chance of a momentum shift in our favour.

I don't think there is any pressure - one game at a time. No reason why we can't see off St Albans and Concord Rangers.

With an open mind, (although a TQ supporter) I watched both the TQ and Woking YouTube videos of the match. There is little doubt in my mind that the penalty decision was incorrect. TQ were by far the superior side but failed to punish Woking for the second time. We owe them one, and I hope that we can put it right when we visit Woking (just down the road from me!), in the future. However, I do wish Woking well, in the next round, but they are fortunate not to have come away from Plainmoor - twice - after a good beating/thrashing. They know that that they were fortunate to win and get the draw the other week. I don't like to criticise referees, but my god! No penalty.....
We need to win our next two home games, and MUST be more clinical. If we win these games, it is all to play for, and I believe that GJ will bring success to our club. COYY......
:scarf:
Attachments
image.png
image.png (641 Bytes) Viewed 1406 times