Next Years Squad

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Gulliball wrote:Blissett and Butler next would be ideal...
Key signings for me. Keeper I am less worried about as ideal if the Yank came back but think we can replace him if not. Can't easily replace what Bliss offers and Butler was fantastic when played in his natural left back position (instead of being thrown into left wingback or left mid!)

Gus staying is very welcome news. Really grew as a pro and a captain as the season went on.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
nickbod

Post by nickbod »

Pleased that Gus has signed but he misses first League fixture as he's got one more match of his 3 match suspension.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

nickbod wrote:Pleased that Gus has signed but he misses first League fixture as he's got one more match of his 3 match suspension.
Hi, got your email. You posted this as a guest (logged out). Login to post next time and it will be your correct username :) Thanks.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Renewed my ST today, and we're now at over 800 sold! The girl at the counter (Chloe) was really helpful, and said that a few more players were expected to resign before Thursdays deadline, though no news on the takeover as yet. I walked away from Plainmoor pretty excited actually!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Please to note the signing of McDonald.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Whoops! Should read...'pleaseD' (not please).
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Blissett has signed! In other news, Ajala has turned down his offer. Nicholson is doing very well.

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 31187.aspx
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

Great News that Blissett has re-signed!! Not to disappointed that Ajala isn't staying as he has been poor since he came back. Butler next now please! :)
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Markh84 wrote:Great News that Blissett has re-signed!! Not to disappointed that Ajala isn't staying as he has been poor since he came back. Butler next now please! :)
Agree on both points. Ajala was pretty dreadful at the end of last season. However, it is tough to sign centre forward like Blisset. In Young, MacDonald and Blissett we have players that would get into most National League sides and some League 2.
TUST number 080
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

The spine is gradually getting there. For me that's the most important 3 signings of those out of contract.

MacDonald
Young
Blissett

Let's get Moore tied down and build around that.

Ajala seemed to have lost confidence since he returned last season which is probably a result of his agent trying to tout him to every club in this division and the one above. I think he could have been a useful player for us had he never left. Instead, he lost rhythm and didn't play the games he needed to. No doubt the three big names who have signed above could have gone elsewhere but they have been pragmatic in their decisions acknowledging that playing 40 games next year at Torquay will benefit their careers in the long run.

I wonder whether there is any scope for us to still consider Iffi and Racchi? I would have both of them in my starting 11.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Amazingly brilliant news. One of the most important signings of the close season, as I believe you need a big striker in this division.

That's three out of the "big four" resigned now, with the fourth being butler. If we can get him too then we can really look forward to next year. The others who have been offered deals aren't quite so critical in my opinion, and can be replaced, but those four would be incredibly difficult.

I will continue to eat my humble pie and give kev another big thumbs up.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Blissett re-signing is fantastic. On our budget replacing a goalscorer is almost impossible and his 8 in 17 proves what he is capable of. If he can do this for a full season he'll be worth his weight in gold.

MacDonald, Young and Blissett is a spine that can challenge for promotion.

Ajala is not a great loss and is very much replaceable.

What a spirit Nicholson has created. Fans want to buy season tickets and players want to stay. MacDonald and Blissett have had other interest and we're not loaded, so it really is a job well done to sell his vision and persuade them to sign up.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

northlondongull wrote:The spine is gradually getting there. For me that's the most important 3 signings of those out of contract.

MacDonald
Young
Blissett

Let's get Moore tied down and build around that.

I read somewhere (might have been the Herald) that Moore has been attracting interest from one or more clubs in the MLS, and that his family would like him to return to America. If Nicholson can get him and Butler signed I'll be very impressed.

According to this article today, Nicholson is in advanced talks with an experienced striker who has already visited the club, and is after a central defender currently with another club (Smith perhaps?). Any idea on who these might be?

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Can't add anything to what has already been said. Fantastic news to get Bliss back on board as he proved at the end of the season how critical he can be. I admit I had him wrong - wasn't impressed on my first sight of him but can't argue with the numbers since then.

Over the moon also the Ajala hasn't signed. Thought that would have been a waste of wages to be fair. Was poor last season and ultimately will be easily replaceable. I've said before, getting hold of wingers at this time is easily as they are ten-a-penny and getting released left right and centre. It's the central spine that is hard to get right and we are well on the way.

Hopefully we can sign a good keeper - Moore will do fine - and Butler to complete the basis of a good side
Across the Bey
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Across the Bey »

Great news all round!
I would like to see Butler tied down if possible and I would say the spine is pretty much there.
Reports that Moore is talking to a MLS side aren't suprising. MLS or Conference National...you decide. Could depend on whether he starts regularly though and Nico can offer him that.
Starting to feel optimistic for the season...but then thats protocol for this time of year.
However I must say, nice work so far Nico!