Our Final 9 Games. Can we avoid Relegation.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with brucie and I have changed my mind again. I think we WILL stay up (but only just).
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

brucie wrote:I think trying to forecast who we might beat and who we might not is totally irrelevant really. Saying we are going to lose to the bottom teams and not beat those in the top half is just far too simplistic.

All teams will produce shock wins and lose to teams they should beat.

The key to whether we are staying up or not is whether we avoid anymore injuries and suspensions. Its basically as simple as that really. I maintain this league is full of terrible teams.

Look at yesterdays results.

Moneybags Eastleigh couldn't beat Guiseley at Home. The mighty Tranmere lost to Welling at home. And Forest Green Chokers played the last fifteen minutes against nine men Wrexham (and drew 0-0).

Having lost two on the trot and parading a defence including Verma and Gerring yesterday to come from behind and win was nothing short of fantastic.

Had we not lost Berry I think we would have coasted home. We are on a knife edge with Macdonald but if we can escape anymore injuries we can do it.
:goodpost: the first 6 or so games of the season see unpredictable results, likewise the last 6 or so will equally. Being top or bottom placed is irrelevant, it's all about handling pressure, luck and yes having a fit squad. What ever happens, we must all be pinching ourselves that we are in control of our destiny.
Lucy
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Every game now is massive BUT Chester at Home on Tuesday really is a key game.

Both Chester and Alty, who we play on 12th April at Home, have the worst away records in our League.

If we win we will be 1 point behind Chester with a game in hand.

Halifax play Boreham Wood on Tuesday and Alty are Home to Dover. Win and we could be up to 18th.

We just need Nathan Smith back and play at our best, take our chances, and keep Hannah quiet.

Cannot wait for Tuesday. COYY.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I'm with Brucie and Wivel ! Take each game as it comes and we have to hope that we don't pick up any more injuries. As well as Durrell Berry, Luke Young will be missing again with a badly gashed leg picked up yesterday, we don't know if Nathan Smith will be fit for Tuesday night and we don't know if Danny Racchi is carrying a slight injury as he was substituted yesterday. After the Dover and Eastleigh games, it was all doom and gloom. Now we're upbeat again. As Brucie posted, almost anyone can beat anyone in this league and there will no doubt be a few more shocks and surprises in our last six games. It wouldn't be Torquay Utd if there weren't !
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Having seen the highlights at Gateshead we are seriously going to struggle if Gerring and Verma make up half of our back four. We can maybe carry Verma but we are really going to need the other three of our regular back four playing.

Youngs out and I can only think that Raachi is struggling as well - he is a key player for us and I just cannot see Nico taking him off if he is fit.

I would actually like to see Nicholson bring back Ajala on Tuesday. He has not been at his best and is unpredictable but he is the one player in the diamond who is likely to make things happen. I am not so sure about Chaney - he maybe one for the future but he looks pretty lightweight to me.

Ajala should be fresh so that's another reason why he should play - we have to go on the offensive on Tuesday.

Three points would go a hell of a long way to seeing us home. I do worry about the injury situation though.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Last nights win against Chester leaves us with just 5 games to go and definitely brings Chester into the clubs at risk of relegation. They have only 4 games left with very tough away fixtures at Lincoln and Grimsby.

Our home game with Tranmere will be tough but this Tranmere side is certainly not invincible after they lost at home on Saturday to Welling!

Of our last 5 games I think a win against Alty next Tuesday is the crucial remaining game. If we can get 3 points from Alty I think we have a good chance of reaching 50 points and safety.

I know Southampton feared the first 5 of our 9 games but so far we have taken 6 points from 4 fixtures and our goal difference is now very close to Alty, Halifax and Guiseley.

Since my opening post on the 24 March the situation has changed in favour of Alty being one of the teams to face the drop particularly as 3 of their last 5 games are away.

Although Halifax have 6 games left 3 of them are against clubs in the top 8 so I think the final relegation place will be between Guiseley, Boreham Wood and Halifax.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm more than happy to have been proved wrong by the players, that's a great return and hopefully gives us a much better chance of staying up.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Remaining Fixtures –

Altringham (42 points, -23GD)

Torquay A
Eastleigh A
Welling H
Braintree A

Boreham Wood (41 points, -10GD)

Aldershot A
Guiseley H
Welling A

Halifax (43 points, -25GD)

Kidderminster A
Cheltenham A
Eastleigh H
Forest Gate A
Macclesfield H

Guiseley (43 points, -24GD)

Wrexham H
Macclesfield A
Boreham Wood A
Torquay H

Torquay (44 points, -25GD)

Altringham H
Bromley A
Barrow H
Guiseley A

Chester (45 points, -11GD)

My prediction for position prior to final games is –

Torquay 50 -24
Chester 48 -11
Halifax 47 -26
Guiseley 46 -26
Boreham Wood 45 -9
Altringham 45 -23
Welling
Kidderminster

So beat Altringham & Barrow and we’re safe before the last day.
In that case I see Boreham Wood & Altringham going down.

If we don’t get the six points from the next three games I think we’ll need a draw at Guiseley to be sure.

Altringham is the big game now. I’m coming down from Essex for this one.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Very close to my predictions.

Tuesday night is the key game.If we win we will be odds on to stay up.

Prior to today, based on the last 12 games, only Dover exceeded our 24 points from a possible 36 in the National League.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

I didn't expect anything from today's game so am still predicting 50 points. It does, however, depend on beating Alty on Tuesday - this is perhaps the most important game in the Club's history.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I'm hoping that we can get six points from the next three games (Altrincham, Bromley & Barrow) so we don't have to sweat on getting anything from the Guiseley game. But one game at a time - Altrincham next up. Only six hours of football left this season - definitely sqeaky bum time !
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Massive game against Alty definately a must not lose if ever there wasn't one. Results have really gone our way recently and the nightmare scenario of all the results going against us on Tuesday doesn't bare thinking about.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

The game against Altringham is an "opportunity of a lifetime" for us to stay up and push on next season, we have to make sure that we grasp it with in the "life time of the opportunity"
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

kevgull wrote:The game against Altringham is an "opportunity of a lifetime" for us to stay up and push on next season, we have to make sure that we grasp it with in the "life time of the opportunity"
er.. yes.. :-/
Uberwozza-san
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Uberwozza-san »

Having done my own version of 'predict the final table' - I have us safe with 47 points, IF we do not lose tomorrow and with a last day draw. of course a win would be massive, but i think in final reckoning not losing tmrw night will be critical.