Buckle

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Southampton Gull wrote:Out of those three Hargreaves would be my choice. It's his enthusiasm and love for the Club as well as his dedication to work. I think he would make a great manager, managerial experience doesn't always mean anything, if it did we'd only ever see 70 year olds occupying the position.
It's true that everyone has to start somewhere, but it seems to me that Hargreaves has even stepped away from football somewhat in the last year. I say that with some uncertainty as I obviously don't know the bloke, but he's been doing a lot of media work and there's talk of his shop.

At least Buckle had been working as a coach, so had experienced it from the other side.

The other thing that worries me slightly is his relationship with the players we already have. He's played with at least seven of our current squad, and reportedly good friends with at least two of them. From experience, can be quite difficult having to be your mate's boss!

When I talk about experience, I'm not necessarily saying he has to have managed at a decent level. There are plenty of good managers (i imagine) lower down the pyramid as our friends up the road will testify to, perhaps who would be willing to put up with our budget for a shot at league management and the promise of progression if things go well.

I'm with Fonda in as much that I have a dream, a dream that one day we will employ a coach with experience, a coach who doesn't think a pass must be a minimum of 40 yards, someone who has some practice at managing the personalities of a squad. Fantasy? Well, obviously. Costs money, innit?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

kingsgull wrote: Dave...you're right we are all entitled to our views but got back tonight as i stayed over near OT and got online and saw all this Buckle bashing and it annoyed me as what he achieved for us over the 4 years outweighs any negativity over his imminent departure....
as a fan i have not known so many highs in the space of 4 years (except the 2nd leg po v exeter :@ ) than the lows we left ....

with a miniscal budget he achieved miracles and being realistic if we had gone up we would of really struggled financially....but i thank him for a great 4 years and would gladly shake his hand and wish him well

mike

I think most of the negative feeling towards him is due to the way he's sorted his future and put himself before the club in doing so. Make no mistake, he agreed to take the Rovers job some time back, it's just been one story after another which has undermined the end to our season. I'll happily stand up and be shot at to speak of his merits and also be happy to do the same with criticisms of him, my only concern is what happens to my Club, our Club.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Kit_robin wrote: It's true that everyone has to start somewhere, but it seems to me that Hargreaves has even stepped away from football somewhat in the last year. I say that with some uncertainty as I obviously don't know the bloke, but he's been doing a lot of media work and there's talk of his shop.

At least Buckle had been working as a coach, so had experienced it from the other side.

The other thing that worries me slightly is his relationship with the players we already have. He's played with at least seven of our current squad, and reportedly good friends with at least two of them. From experience, can be quite difficult having to be your mate's boss!

When I talk about experience, I'm not necessarily saying he has to have managed at a decent level. There are plenty of good managers (i imagine) lower down the pyramid as our friends up the road will testify to, perhaps who would be willing to put up with our budget for a shot at league management and the promise of progression if things go well.

I'm with Fonda in as much that I have a dream, a dream that one day we will employ a coach with experience, a coach who doesn't think a pass must be a minimum of 40 yards, someone who has some practice at managing the personalities of a squad. Fantasy? Well, obviously. Costs money, innit?

Good points and well made, rather be a pundit than a manager ;-)
Dave

kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

4 years in managerial terms is good and if i were to put myself in Buckles feet as a job rather than a "pastime..social enjoymentetc " i can understand why he has done it...closer to his personall life and more financial potential...i have more issues with Bristol Rovers than Paul Buckle for the approach...
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Is there any truth in the rumour that Paul Trollope is coming to you and you are put off by what you have heard from Rovers fans. What I would say on this is what I would always say about any Manager.What is good or bad about a Manager at one club can be a disaster at another.If it is true about Buckle being our new Manager then I very much hope he will create an attacking side like you obviously are. But back to Paul Trollope,working with Lennie Lawrence he gave us Promotion in 2007,The JPT final that year as well and then FA CUP quarter finalists the year after as wel as two years of mid table security.In fact up until when Lennie departed he improved us each year. It could be a brilliant appointment as he would probably have learnt more from what went wrong last season than his successful years. Look at Ian Holloway who faced a similar situation at us. I can assure you that you wont hear Paul Trollope saying how small a club you are or that you are playing above yourselves.It wil be interesting to see what he does with your attacking style as he rarely diverted from a defensive 4-4-2 with us and no wingers.Up until last season though I would say he had us organised and as regards what negatives you have heard about him I can tell you it took a long time before a lot of our fans wanted him sacked and even thoughg we were on a poor run at the time many did not agree with the decision to sack him and felt he should have been given longer. Personally I would not trust him to spend my money wisely on players but with a limited budget he could be great. I really hope if you do get him that he is successful (except when you play us!!!) Best of Luck.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

4 years is a long time. There's only one guarantee with football magement one day you'll get the sack. Ronnie Moore having lead Rotherham from Division 3 to Division 1 and kept them there was offered the chance to go to Ipswich in the same league. But obviously big club, big resource. He turned them down for his own loyalty toards Rotherham. The next year they struggled and he was sacked. All things previously forgotten.

There's no loyalty in football from clubs or from people at those clubs. There is no doubt Bristol Rovers is a better job with more money to accomplish promotion than the Torquay job for next season.

It's disappointing Bristol Rovers made the approach or talked to him while our season was still going. Thats the only thing that is annoying. Bucks could hardly say I've taken the Rovers job but i'll try win these next 2 games. He'd have been slaughtered. At no stage has he said i'm definitely staying, so he hasn't lied to anyone. Maybe he hadn't decided 100% on his future until yesterday, but since we're in League 2 same as them it's probably made his mind up for sure.

He's still a yonug manager but he was a baby manager when he took the job here. He's moulded a side from scratch, he's changed to a young, good footballing side competing at the right end of LEague 2 in those 4 years from what could have been a desperate situation. he's made mistakes, he'll make mistakes at Rovers but unlike some managers he learns from them and doens't tend to repeat them.

i think he's an excellent manager and he'll do a great job for Rovers. Thanks Paul for the last 4 years and good luck.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

'I'm not going to get into that. My current job is getting Torquay promoted, and that is what i'm focussing on'.

That's all he needed to say. Unfortunately, all we've heard from him in the last few weeks (like the rest of his tenure in fact) is 'i'm ambitious and will go when the right job comes along'. It's not inspiring to the support or the players.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

They played brilliantly in both legs against Shrews. It's just an excuse because we lost. We simply didn't turn up and I have no doubts he like us was disappointed we didn't win.

I don't agree with his thoughts on yesterday's game I have to say that. I thought we were utter shit for an hour.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Fonda wrote:'I'm not going to get into that. My current job is getting Torquay promoted, and that is what i'm focussing on'.

That's all he needed to say. Unfortunately, all we've heard from him in the last few weeks (like the rest of his tenure in fact) is 'i'm ambitious and will go when the right job comes along'. It's not inspiring to the support or the players.
Nail hammer and head
Dave

Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Southampton Gull wrote: Nail hammer and head
Completely agree.

The sort of stuff he was saying smacked of "come and get me, big boys."

Ahem.
Sneapy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by Sneapy »

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 15,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:(
HarrowGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by HarrowGull »

Shame, but if his heart's not in it there'd be no point in him staying
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

More chance of Steve Evans going on a diet than Buckle staying I'm afraid. Just hopeful that we beat Bristol Rovers next season for their professional, respectful approach slap bang in the middle of the playoffs.
wellygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by wellygull »

anyone got ray wilkins mobile number lol surely he would be perfect.

failing that how about a return for neil Warnock hear he will be looking for work soon
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later, its disappointing i liked Buckle hes done a fantastic job for us but still what was all the rubbish about in the post match interview? at least be honest with us rather than saying the some old "i'm a ambitious man" crap.

Onwards and upwards. ha! :scarf: