Emirates FA Cup 1st round | Torquay United v Crawley Town | 08/11/2020 12.45pm KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Thank goodness the losing sides get some dosh from the FA
TUST member 200 ;-)
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

'Covolan directly at fault for 3 of the goals'
Really ? Perhaps the last one but don't think I can blame him for any others.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

The most pointless of FA Cups this season. Football is nothing without fans and even more so in the FA Cup. So what if we got through to R3. Despite making a few quid, an away tie to Spurs, Man Utd....... would be horrendous.
If you can’t go, what’s the point.
TUST #324
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

numpte wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 18:26 The most pointless of FA Cups this season. Football is nothing without fans and even more so in the FA Cup. So what if we got through to R3. Despite making a few quid, an away tie to Spurs, Man Utd....... would be horrendous.

Agreed, but, possibly just possibly, crowds may be back by January!?
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Last week I asked if we had ever won away 5 -0 in the League and Louis confirmed that going back to 1927 the records confirmed that last Saturday was our first ever win away by this score line.

Fast forward to today and I think I am correct that in League or F A Cup we have never before had a score line of 5-6.

To score 5 and lose is weird. To score 10 goals in 2 games is rare and to concede in the in the 21st minute of added time when only 18 minutes was added by the 4th official was unlucky.

What will the score be next Saturday?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

DWB wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 18:42
Agreed, but, possibly just possibly, crowds may be back by January!?
"Don't count your chickens" - SAGE experts predict Covid second wave will peak over Christmas and the New Year.

I wish Crawley well in their cup run - they put up a good fight and a good game and deserve to be rewarded.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

First and foremost before we talk about the game, I like to wish Crawley's young on loan keeper a speedy recovery, looked a sickening injury not nice to see that for any player in any team.

On to the game, personally like to focus more on the 90 minutes, this was a game twice won that somehow the team managed to lose, so we're all gutted, however it's important to remember and whether we like it or not, Crawley are side not just from the league above but right now they're with touching distance of the top 3 in the league above.

There were lots of positives to take from this game, for a large part our team were more than a match in terms of pace and physicality, our teams fitness held up well against a very powerful side who were pulling us all over the park, for the majority of this game our team defended well, all of this bodes well for when the teams back in league action.

But it must be said, the difference between a top League 2 and top NLP side told in the end, and it came in terms of, the strength in depth of the two match day squads, we started with probably the best 11 we have fully fit right now, throw everything at them we had, just as we began to tire, they could bring on one or two of their first team league starters who'd been held back added fresh legs and a bit of extra quality to what they had on the field , and despite the two penalties and a 5.3 lead, there only ever looked like one winner, in extra time and it wasn't us.

On the to the extra time period, yes the team did well to get the two penalties and restore the two goal lead, but the gulf between the top end of our respective leagues began show, so I think harsh to be over critical here, they were full of running our team was out it's feet, the defending in the extra period wasn't bad, it's was knackered, tired defending , yes Colovan could and should have done a lot better with the 6th goal, he'll know that, but there 4th, how many chances and opportunities to clear our lines and didn't, so harsh to blame the keeper there.

The only real disappointment for me today, and Nicho picked up on it, under pressure with a tight lead, the experienced players didn't seem to help the younger lads game manage, and few pushes and pulls in the right areas, go down get the physio on, anything to break up play a bit.

In Gary Johnson we have a manager who'll know how the manage the disappointment and get these lads to bounce back, keep the faith, and keep it yellow.
Formerly known as forevertufc
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Just read that Tom McGill has been discharged from hospital, so that's good news
Cockney Cockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Cockney Cockers »

Think Modgull summed it up well. We were playing a decent side from a league above. Compare Crawley with Hartlepool and it's worlds apart.
It was like an arm wrestle and we nearly had them down in the first half but they just got us in the end when we were knackered. It was such fine margins.
I felt that whilst it was right to take Danny Wright off, he was knacked but also Crawley were looking to get him the second yellow, Josh didn't defend as well from the front. Most of their attacking was coming down the wings and I felt our full backs looked a little overloaded and needed a bit more support from, admittedly our attack minded midfield pocket dynamos.Ben Wynter was an inch away from poking the ball out for a corner in the 322nd minute which would have been enough for us to win. Fine margins.We're gonna hammer the next unfit team that we come up against.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

numpte wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 18:26 The most pointless of FA Cups this season. Football is nothing without fans and even more so in the FA Cup. So what if we got through to R3. Despite making a few quid, an away tie to Spurs, Man Utd....... would be horrendous.
That's how I feel.
It was bad enough having to miss a tie against a league club and sort of historical rival but to get a big club in round three and not be able to attend would be awful.
londongull63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by londongull63 »

Agree with the above, although I'm gutted, if ever there was a season to go out the cup this is it. Even if there are crowds in January it would be heavily-restricted crowds, so no great money-spinner from gate receipts and as said above, if we got a Liverpool away or home after all these years, we'd all be pretty fed-up if none or few of us could go.

The only way i can see it having been worthwhile is an easy tie next round to pick up more prize money, or keep getting home draws to get on TV, which I suppose may have been possible round 3 as the non-leaguers, but that still wouldn't happen with a Rotherham or Barnsley from the championship probably.
Being drawn away would have been pretty pointless, even against most championship sides as we'd probably not have been main game and the streaming numbers wouldn't have been huge. Would have had to be a Premier team, and the windfall would have been far less this year.
londongull63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by londongull63 »

Just watched all the goals (painful) on BBC and I don't think any stick for Covolan is very fair. Perhaps maybe the last went off an inside leg, but their guy was only 8 yards out. He got free of two centre-halfs which seems more culpable.

And when Asa kicked Randell in the head, Warren sort of stopped and put his arm up which left their guy too much space.

Another was a bit unlucky as the winger started it off hitting it through Wynter's legs and ran on to deliver the telling cross.

Perhaps a bit of a lack of pace at the back, but can't do much about that, and I'm not even sure that was to blame. Maybe, things shouldn't have been disrupted with Warren coming on, but who knows. Plus remember we've been scoring last minute and not minded too much.
Crawley 90

Post by Crawley 90 »

Crawley fan here. First of all what a game we got to watch today. Reading a few of the comments I just wanted to say that actually based on what I’ve seen in league 2 this season, you would find yourselves doing alright, with an increase in fitness you’d be very competitive. I’d go as far to say you battered us in the first half with a mixture of quality, pressing and good tactical play which didn’t allow us to get close to how we wanted to play. It was clear to see why you are where you are. Even though we haven’t got the results away from home yet this season I haven’t seen us that much on the back foot. However, in the latter stage of the game you played into our hands. We are a very strange side in that we have arguably the best front 3 in the division but when our midfield is overpowered like it was in the first half it doesn’t mean jack****. Someone had to come out a winner and it seems that Yems has got instilled a real belief in our side. Anyway, after today huge respect for you guys and hope to see you in League 2 next year. Shame none of us could be in the ground to witness it.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Shamarphil

Post by Shamarphil »

Crawley 90 wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 21:34 Crawley fan here. First of all what a game we got to watch today. Reading a few of the comments I just wanted to say that actually based on what I’ve seen in league 2 this season, you would find yourselves doing alright, with an increase in fitness you’d be very competitive. I’d go as far to say you battered us in the first half with a mixture of quality, pressing and good tactical play which didn’t allow us to get close to how we wanted to play. It was clear to see why you are where you are. Even though we haven’t got the results away from home yet this season I haven’t seen us that much on the back foot. However, in the latter stage of the game you played into our hands. We are a very strange side in that we have arguably the best front 3 in the division but when our midfield is overpowered like it was in the first half it doesn’t mean jack****. Someone had to come out a winner and it seems that Yems has got instilled a real belief in our side. Anyway, after today huge respect for you guys and hope to see you in League 2 next year. Shame none of us could be in the ground to witness it.
Well summed up Crawley fan. I think we dominated midfield in the first half and were worth our 2 goal advantage.
Turning point was the soft penalty we gave away.
Gary Johnson is usually spot on with the subs but today, with the introduction of warren to protect a 1 goal lead, led to us surrendering the midfield.
From then on I thought Crawley looked the better side and kept possesion well.