Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Who me ?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 15:01 Like a lot of work places these days it's about managing a person and getting the best out if them. It's never been much different and maybe these days it's more difficult with social media and media in general especially high profiles players. Couldn't imagine Brian clough putting up with nonsense especially social media postings and players getting the hump over not being picked.
Yes your right I've always found the ones who kick up about being dropped care, those who are quiet don't always fight back to get back in. The ones who ask why want to improve and learn. Read Clough's books he had players like that.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Yes I've read a auto bio on clough and what a manager and man manager he was.
Stuart Pearce would have run through brick walls for him and I ensure you they knew who was boss !!!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

At some point Gary you'll need to take some risks. Trying to hang onto leads isn't really working out. Try going for a second. Steady accumulation of points like this is fine over a season but when you've 8 games to go and need to win 5-6 of them, you need to take risks.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

He needs to find a system that has Williams, Romain and Healey on the pitch now. Draws are worthless.

If Solihull and Hartlepool get midweek wins, I suspect it will be irrelevant. If not already. Hartlepool's trust and fans are working hard to ensure their takeover happens before administration, so we need to outpoint them. No thinking about points deductions. Not that I was.

If he gets us out of this, I will change my mind on him. As it is a massive task. I don't think he will.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

He'll moan about conceding late goals again though. Go all out for a second and if you concede then it's still 1-1. If you get a second then it's happy days and a whole lot easier. He's asking players who know they under pressure now every game to keep defending a goal lead when they rarely do it successfully. Rank negative shit management and same next season too i'm sure.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Don't judge him now though....................... :whistle:
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 17:51 Don't judge him now though....................... :whistle:
We ain't sacking him before the season is out. It's wasted energy. He has been poor, but nothing new in concluding that.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Rjc70 wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 17:41 He needs to find a system that has Williams, Romain and Healey on the pitch now. Draws are worthless.

If Solihull and Hartlepool get midweek wins, I suspect it will be irrelevant. If not already. Hartlepool's trust and fans are working hard to ensure their takeover happens before administration, so we need to outpoint them. No thinking about points deductions. Not that I was.

If he gets us out of this, I will change my mind on him. As it is a massive task. I don't think he will.
I am afraid our 'Owers' is a bit of a lightweight on system formations. Your right though, he does need to become totally offensive with 8 games to go and 8 points adrift.

I would go with a extremely offensive 4-3-3 formation with the forward 3 consistently rotating amongst themselves so defenders would not get use to their style of play. I think the back 4 are good enough to hold the backline but the big ask is whether the 3 in midfield are good and confident enough to play in a formation that relies heavily on passing, overlaps, tackling and precision one-two passing to spark off the attacks.

I dont think we have anything to lose now, we all pretty much know we are down unless we win all our remaining games so why not go for broke. .
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Rjc70 wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 17:41 He needs to find a system that has Williams, Romain and Healey on the pitch now.
Totally agree. Time to drop the 3-5-2 and go for a 4-3-3 in my opinion.

The system (3-5-2) has, on occasions, worked quite well away from home I suppose - but you only have to look at our home record to realise that it just hasn’t at Plainmoor! For all the industry of the wing backs they never seem to come to much, Davis in particular, how many times do his surges down the wing, or crosses into the box lead to anything? I cant even remember him coming up with an assist all season! Probably has, but I cant remember it!

We have also failed to score enough goals all season - with Williams, Romain and Healey on the pitch you surely give yourself the best chance?

This is how I would line up v Guiseley...

Dorel

Barnes Gowling McGinty. Davis

Young. Sokolik. Sullivan(or Evans)

Romain. Healey
Williams

Doubt Owers will though .......
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

I like that formation. I'd probably go with Efete over Barnes, so we could easier switch to three at the back if losing by mid way through the second half or level on 75 minutes, keeping Sokolik in front of the defence. Davis would be the player sacrificed if going to a back three.

I think Owers might try something next game, tbh. He understandably rates Healey, and Romain and Williams have sounded decent in the last couple of games.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

CP Gull wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 18:11

The system (3-5-2) has, on occasions, worked quite well away from home I suppose - but you only have to look at our home record to realise that it just hasn’t at Plainmoor! For all the industry of the wing backs they never seem to come to much, Davis in particular, how many times do his surges down the wing, or crosses into the box lead to anything? I cant even remember him coming up with an assist all season! Probably has, but I cant remember it!
Got to agree about Davis. If you're going to play wing-backs then they have to contribute in an attacking sense.

And you are correct, not one assist from Davis all season.

http://www.torquayfanstats.com/season1718
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Yorkieandy wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 10:30 I think Owers & Kuhl deserve an awful lot of credit for the results in the last 5 or 6 matches. Up to that point they had been nothing short of a disaster and i doubt they could have had many complaints about fans beginning to doubt them. Although the jury is still out about them for me, both in terms of long term availability (not having yet signed contracts) as well as their ability to not just keep Torquay in the league but to raise the bar regarding expectations, i think these past few games have given the club and the fans renewed hope that all is not lost.

Even though technically they have simply been doing the job they are paid to do these past few games, i think that given it's the festive season and goodwill to all men then we can give them great credit for keeping the club within touching distance of safety still.

Bar Dover and Hartlepool away, from the beginning of March the run in is really favourable so if the club are still in there pitching over Xmas and into the New Year then the prospects for survival would look really good. If the club can pull themselves out of the bottom 4 during this time then fantastic but the key thing is not to start getting cut adrift again as a win for the clubs above in the next game or so and the gap could be 9 points ish again.

Just wanted to come and congratulate Owers & Kuhl for the last months or so work. I had told them to piss off a few months back and with justification i believed. One win against knackered part timers who had been stuck on a coach for hours wasn't acceptable in terms of their start to employment at the football club but now they look like they are earning their corn so fair play.
Read this posted last year TUFC92 . Just trying to defend myself from unjust criticism.
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 19:27 Read this posted last year TUFC92 and enjoy.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Thats a fair point and thanks for explaining your reasoning to me. I accept that makes sense.