Our Final 9 Games. Can we avoid Relegation.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

My cup half empty view is that the various positive runs we've had recently have been replaced by an unenviable one. We've scored one solitary goal in the last six matches.

My cup half full view is that we've just had our bad patch in our run in and all will now be sweetness and light.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

gateman49 wrote:My cup half empty view is that the various positive runs we've had recently have been replaced by an unenviable one. We've scored one solitary goal in the last six matches.
I didn't believe it was just one goal in the last six games, but you're right - it is !!!! And the only one scoring is Nathan Blissett. We have got to start scoring a few goals, otherwise we won't avoid relegation. But I'm still optimistic we will. Somehow. Maybe a few own goals ........ courtesy of the opposition (added 10 seconds later) !! :whistle:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I still stand by my post on page 1, the last 4 games are very winnable, the 5 leading up to them were always going to be tough to get anything from.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

SG the four matches are only winnable if Torquay can put the ball in the net. The BBC stats show that in the last 6 matches, mostly against lower league teams,we have only had 7 shots ON TARGET resulting in 1 goal. Draws will not be sufficient to stay up.
The revealing two matches for me this last weekend were; Dover 5 Torquay 0; Relegation contenders Boreham Wood 3 Dover 0
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

They put it in the net when they won 5 league games in succession so they've proved it's possible. I don't know how you can compare the two results you mentioned as one is a home game and the other away obviously but there are a lot of other variables to make it a worthless comparison.
Southampton Gull wrote:Agree with Jerry. It's possible we could get nothing from the next 5 games which are all very tough games, the last 4 however are all extremely winnable.
I don't see things any differently now, the next three are all tough games, the last four not so tough, it's down to whether the players want it enough. At least now they do want it, there were a lot of games earlier in the season where that couldn't be said.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I keep studying the fixtures of the bottom 7 clubs and I think 46 points might be enough.

If we can defeat Chester and Altrincham plus a couple of draws we would make 46

After Boreham Wood beating Dover 3-0 and remember they have the best goal difference I now think Guiseley and Altrincham will go down with Welling and Kiddy.

Barrow at Home is winnable if Bliss gets better service. Angus please please don't get another yellow. Do not argue with the ref PLEASE.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Sesimbra wrote: The revealing two matches for me this last weekend were; Dover 5 Torquay 0; Relegation contenders Boreham Wood 3 Dover 0
Hmmm ...... I posted on the Eastleigh Match thread that the Dover/Torquay match was played on Saturday whereas both Boreham Wood and Eastleigh played their games on Friday. I wonder if the Dover/Torquay game was played on Friday and Boreham Wood and Eastleigh played on Saturday, would yesterday's results have been the same? We shall never know of course, but I think they would have been different because the teams that played on Friday had an unfair advantage of an extra day's break before yesterday's matches. So I don't agree that these two results are revealing.
Totnes Massive
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Totnes Massive »

Agree with portugull.
ANGUS, IF YOU ARE READING THIS....
Please don't argue with the ref....
Unlucky yellow cards will be forgiven ofcourse.
Class defender .Needed till the very last match of the season.
And beyond.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Totnes Massive wrote:Agree with portugull.
ANGUS, IF YOU ARE READING THIS....
Please don't argue with the ref....
Unlucky yellow cards will be forgiven ofcourse.
Class defender .Needed till the very last match of the season.
And beyond.

Angus should have got a yellow hypothetically against Dover.. We need him for the season Run in.
Lucy
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

This is my estimate of my table before the final matches (final matches in brackets)

Chester 49 (Gateshead H)
Torquay 47 (Guiseley A)
Boreham Wood 46 (Welling A)
Guiseley 46 (Torquay H)
Altringham 46 (Braintree A)
Halifax 46 (Macc A)

In which case I think 48 points at the end would be safety.

Three wins (or two wins & two draws) from the four home games plus Bromley should see us safe before the last day. Any less and it will be the usual story of a nail biting final day, although hopefully after today’s win and with playing Guiseley, it would at least be in our hands.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Six games to go, all of them winnable, most at home, 2 against near rivals, games in hand, near rivals playing each other, its in our own hands, we arent currently in the bottom 4, no reason now why we cant stay up.

:scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Stevie_RitchTea
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Stevie_RitchTea »

Sesimbra wrote:SG the four matches are only winnable if Torquay can put the ball in the net. The BBC stats show that in the last 6 matches, mostly against lower league teams,we have only had 7 shots ON TARGET resulting in 1 goal. Draws will not be sufficient to stay up.
The revealing two matches for me this last weekend were; Dover 5 Torquay 0; Relegation contenders Boreham Wood 3 Dover 0
BBC Stats are completely wrong. I've been at matches and followed BBC stats at the same time and they are almost always way off.
TUST Member 405
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

After yesterday's massive result I think we will achieve the 50 point mark. Wins against Alty and Barrow, loss against Tranmere and draws against Chester, Bromley and Guiseley. However, it remains too close to call amongst the six teams with a realistic chance of avoiding the drop. For us it could all go t--- up if Angus gets booked again.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Keep an eye on Welling, although they only have 4 games to play these are against teams at the bottom end of the table.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I think trying to forecast who we might beat and who we might not is totally irrelevant really. Saying we are going to lose to the bottom teams and not beat those in the top half is just far too simplistic.

All teams will produce shock wins and lose to teams they should beat.

The key to whether we are staying up or not is whether we avoid anymore injuries and suspensions. Its basically as simple as that really. I maintain this league is full of terrible teams.

Look at yesterdays results.

Moneybags Eastleigh couldn't beat Guiseley at Home. The mighty Tranmere lost to Welling at home. And Forest Green Chokers played the last fifteen minutes against nine men Wrexham (and drew 0-0).

Having lost two on the trot and parading a defence including Verma and Gerring yesterday to come from behind and win was nothing short of fantastic.

Had we not lost Berry I think we would have coasted home. We are on a knife edge with Macdonald but if we can escape anymore injuries we can do it.