New Stadium-The Willows

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Alpine Joe wrote:While in theory a new stadium might be capable of holding 6000, the Safety Advisory Group will be able to knock that down to 4000 in the blink of an eye. And if they're really determined 3500.

It will be important to start as we mean to go on, and telling the SAG where to stick their advice will be an important first step.
There is, for the first time in a while, a huge number of well thought through posts in this thread. This one, however, takes the biscuit.

The SAG are a group of dangerous lunatics who believe in little more than 'fewer is safer'. Their arguments make even less sense than those of Brake, whose thinking extends no further than 'slower is safer'.

These people need putting in their box by those of us with more than two braincells available to us.

Good shout, Joe!

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

What about the Bowls Club situated underneath the Popside?
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

No harm examining what's there and what's not. I think the statement takes the necessary middle line. No problem with the club doing that. Unlike Roberts we are not at this stage being sold anything.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

The Americans do realise we are a "soccer" club not a football club as they know it!!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

short response
1 never going to keep plainmoor aswell....must be some deal in that going.

2. 6000 is plenty....I went to Darlington arena...that was terrible. If anything 5000 is plenty. ..tell me how long ago we had 6000 plus ..never going to happen.

3 shame about bristow bench
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

As they say up north "You don't get owt for nowt"

I hope that the Club is not going to be used as a Section 106 pawn so that the developers can get planning permission for housing. It has to be the right move on the right terms for us.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

The key to the move is not so much the capacity but the non football related income streams that the site would permit.
TUST number 080
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Shifting the focus away from our current predicament, nice idea. ;-)
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

6667GULL wrote:We may not exist next season never mind need a new stadium.
Phillips and co have been accused of not being football savvy and this just adds more fuel to that.
We are not going to stay up so should be planning for next season and not getting involved with this nonsense.
We are becoming even more of a laughing stock, you thought Webb and Roberts were loonies.

At last. Common sense. :goodpost:

Explore all avenues by all means but just ensure the club still has a sustainable and strategic business plan for the next few years at least. No club, no ground.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Take the emotion out for a while and imagine it's a club your not close to.

A group of new people take over, at least one of which makes 1000's at absolutely no cost to himself.
The poorest season in the clubs history then follows.
Even though it's enevitable before relegation is confirmed the owners start talking about "new stadia" having previously, in one of their rare communications with the faithful, stated that improved drainage work would be carried out at the current ground during the close season.
What would you think?

I am very worried about these feelers being put out if I'm honest!
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular

Post by IanGull01 »

All sounds a bit fishy to me!!

I might be doing the club a dis-service here and they might be doing it for the best interests.

But........

A couple months ago it comes out Truro are building a new stadium, Pete Masters gets involved with Torquay for a ground share and guess what now we're in talks about having a new stadium.

Is this a coincidence or Is he having more say than they are letting on??!!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

westyorkshiregull wrote:short response
1 never going to keep plainmoor aswell....must be some deal in that going.

2. 6000 is plenty....I went to Darlington arena...that was terrible. If anything 5000 is plenty. ..tell me how long ago we had 6000 plus ..never going to happen.

3 shame about bristow bench
5000 would not be enough if the long term goal is to get back in the league, as I believe you have to have 6k capacity for that, although I may be wrong.

It would be a shame about Bristows Bench, although it's far from the facility it could have been.

I don't buy the "we're going down, we shouldnt be looking at a new stadium" line at all. If this gets the go ahead, and is done correctly, it gives us a far brighter future than anything we could have predicted in our current state. Having all the other revenue streams- I'm guessing cinema, bowling, sports facilities, bars, restaurants are the type of establishments that could be considered- would mean we could afford the wages for players to get us out of Conference South without having to go part time and therefore not being able to attract the type of player we need due to the region.

It COULD, be the start of a brighter future, although I won't get too excited yet!!
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular

Post by IanGull01 »

And why all of a sudden are an American company interested in little old Torquay??!!!
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

The Americans don't give a hoot about Torquay United - purely the land in the town that can be developed for mega dollars!

The way the council have had their pangs royally pulled down by a developer at Oldway mansion makes me very nervous about them being competent to secure any deal that doesn't expose plainmoor and TUFC to the same fate. Well worth exploring this but needs to be done with expert legal eyes!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Richinns wrote:A new stadium and a 4G pitch for free? If true then you cannot seriously turn an offer like this down. Training on the same pitch we play on, matches never called off.

It is a dream at the moment but I cannot see a downside if (as it is reported here) this is how it plays out.

I am sure the club would also do the right thing and have one of the stands named after the Bristow's.
:goodpost:

I do however think something closer to 10000 with room to expand in the future should be the aim.
As for "Plainmoor is fine - we don't need to move". Well Plainmoor isn't fine, it gets waterlogged every January and regardless of Plainmoors suitability there are the finances to consider as well. Done properly this could see a big windfall for the club and future revenue streams we don't currently see.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084