Kevin Nicholson has his say..

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Magpiegull wrote:I have just watched the lunchtime edition of BBC Spotlight where Mr Brent Pilnick was interviewed and said that Kevin Nicholson said in his Facebook entry that many players were way below 'minimum wage'. KN didn't say that. He used the term 'minimal wage' which is somewhat different don't you think. I have spoken with BBC Spotlight and they say that they will amend this inaccuracy in the next edition. We shall see!
Does anyone have any idea how much "minimal wage" is? That might put the wages issue into some perspective.

If in football "minimal" is say £1k per week then Hargreaves claim that players were on £375 p.w. provides some balance - if it is nearer the recognised "national minimum" wage, that throws a different light on the issue.

If we have a significant number of players on National Minimum - that can only be good for the finances (OK not for the quality of player) as it will keep the wage bill down. A number of our players are in the 18-20 age bracket, which requires £5.30 per hour, with the rest on the 21+ rate of £6.70 per hour.

E.G - for an 18 -20 year old working 60 hours a week (no idea what contracted hours might be, just worked on 10 hours a day x 6 days a week - which I'm sure is way over the actual terms!) - then the weekly wage would be £318 / £402 for the older ones.

Say we have 12 players in the "minimum wage" bracket at an average of £350 per week that would cost c.£220k per annum in wages (on a 52 week contract).

Recent rumour suggested the club had annual turnover of £1m (not sure if that is right?) so the cost of 50% of the playing staff would be 20% of the T/O, even if the remaining 12 players are on average £750 per week (£468k) - would hope that a well managed club could manage to pay all other bills from the residual say £320k ? The wage figures would be less if the contracted hours are below my 60 per week x 52 weeks example.

Obviously, if the wage figures are nearer £1k per week for all, then we are in trouble.
absolutely3rdrate
New Signing
New Signing

Post by absolutely3rdrate »

I agree with Danny reference Dean Edwards. How many clubs at our level have a "Director of Football"? It didn't seem right at the time and it doesn't look good now. I'm not saying it's the only reason for our demise but paying a DOF salary was a stupid mistake. How much is Steve Breed earning I wonder? I would dearly like to know where Mrs Bristows money went, apart from the new stand.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

absolutely3rdrate wrote:I agree with Danny reference Dean Edwards. How many clubs at our level have a "Director of Football"? It didn't seem right at the time and it doesn't look good now. I'm not saying it's the only reason for our demise but paying a DOF salary was a stupid mistake. How much is Steve Breed earning I wonder? I would dearly like to know where Mrs Bristows money went, apart from the new stand.
I think, giving the fact that we are, financially, up to our neck in shit, it is fairly obvious that Mrs B's money was going on everything and anything, with people treating it like a kid would if they were in a sweet shop.

The money was pretty much pissed up the wall. She would have had more to show for it if she had gone out on the town every night and got utterly shitfaced, as at least she would have had a hangover and a toilet full of puke to look back on, rather than nothing at all.
After all, what good is a stand if there is no football club to use it....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Glostergull wrote:
I thought that was me you were talking about. But then i scrolled back and realised the spelling is different. I am brining this up with mods. cos I'm sure I did use that name a long while ago.
. haven't seen ya in a while. It's been too long. I't not very mobile these days. hard to get around on sticks and although trying to climb my way out of it which seems against the Governments wishes, they put more obstacles in my way that running the Grand National. I haven't sunk yet. just wish i could see Utd more. How are ya. And yes I'm still friends with the Mansells
Hi Andy, sorry to hear your struggling a bit, wish you well and hope to see you around soon, yes I had spotted the difference between your usernames, think there's also 3 different versions of gullible on the site now as well, I was asking whether the new Gloucester gull had connections to the Mansells.
Formerly known as forevertufc
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Jerry wrote: No they certainly are not. In fact at many companies posting this sort of info about the company on Social Media would be a very serious disciplinary matter, I know it would be where I work.

Now this has been picked up by the BBC and we are once again a national laughing stock. :@

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35145282

This is really going to help us to attract new players in January isn't it! =D
Totally agree. In fact couldn't we use this as grounds to get rid of him for free?!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Pity we can't get rid of some so-called supporters who say far more detrimental things than KN ever could..
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Pity we wasted a load of money sacking Hargreaves only to appoint another former player with even less managerial experience a few months later.

Pity our current manager chooses to make us a laughing stock by publicly throwing his toys out of the pram.

Pity he insists on playing himself everyweek when he would get far more respect if he took a step back and gave some leadership and direction from the touchline.

Pity the club we all love so much is dying on it's arse and all we ever hear is how lucky we are it was saved and that seemingly now we have to put up with this mediocrity.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

He didn't throw his toys out of the pram at all. What he did was try, rightly or wrongly, to stand up for his bosses during a family crisis. He tried to explain what he knew to be blatant manipulation by disgruntled factors to destabilise the club. He knows as do I that fans are jumping to the wrong conclusions.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Two sayings spring to mind
a). Attack is the best form of defence (particularly if Exodus is playing); and
b) It is better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

I imagine that KN was at a pretty low ebb on Sunday and felt that he needed to get the issues that he raised out into an open forum. Sometimes the truth hurts but at least when you know the truth you can move on.
With hindsight he might have done things differently but it has given us all food for thought.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Nicholsons outburst cannot be defended - his position must now be untenable.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

At this point in time the position on manager at Torquay United is untenable. Is there any sane person who would want it?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote:Nicholsons outburst cannot be defended - his position must now be untenable.

Only if you're a complete moron. He tried to address ill informed criticism of those running the club he loves. Doesn't mean he was right but it shows his passion and desire to succeed. It's time you stopped trying to ruin people and gave them the chance they deserve. Sitting on your arse demanding people lose their jobs when you can't be bothered to drive to Plainmoor is pretty comical to say the least. Continuity and stability are what we need, not kneejerk reactions like yours.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Keith
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Keith »

Perhaps KN keeps playing himself because he knows the defence desperately need an experienced head? Yes in an ideal world he would be predominately a touchline player/manager, bringing himself on later in the game but we're not in an ideal world right now. We've a young manager firefighting on several fronts.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Southampton Gull wrote:
Only if you're a complete moron. He tried to address ill informed criticism of those running the club he loves. Doesn't mean he was right but it shows his passion and desire to succeed. It's time you stopped trying to ruin people and gave them the chance they deserve. Sitting on your arse demanding people lose their jobs when you can't be bothered to drive to Plainmoor is pretty comical to say the least. Continuity and stability are what we need, not kneejerk reactions like yours.
:goodpost:

Hear, hear. I've met Argyle supporters this season at Plainmoor who are more loyal to TUFC than you are, Brucie.

The ship is in crisis; it is listing; this is the time to be helping to reset the sails together, helping to stabilise the ship. Not standing in a distant place with your telescope in your hand bleating about the ship being in crisis. Just how many people do you want to walk the plank - seems like every last one of them is subjected to your criticism and abuse.
TUST member 200 ;-)