Thanks for the memories

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
torkie_buoy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Cameron

Post by torkie_buoy »

Yes, if you're not local, you can't watch the games- fair enough. And if you can't afford it/can't make the games- fair enough. But if you haven't seen then play at all, how do you even decide whether that's support or not? I'm not trying to argue with you in a hostile way, so stop acting so jumped up and eratic.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

torkie_buoy wrote:Yes, if you're not local, you can't watch the games- fair enough. And if you can't afford it/can't make the games- fair enough. But if you haven't seen then play at all, how do you even decide whether that's support or not? I'm not trying to argue with you in a hostile way, so stop acting so jumped up and eratic.
I'm jumped up??

you come on here and after 15 posts you are an expert on personal choice whether someone can support their local team or a team team 12,000 miles away even if they havnt seen them play??

your above post just shows how clueless you are and dont know what you are talking about.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SIDGULL
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SIDGULL »

With respect (and i do not mean that in a sarcastic way), SuperNW, the number of posts that Torkie has made is an irrelevance. I am not necessarily in agreement with either of you, but just because you have bothered to make just short of 4600 does not give any extra weight to your opinions compared to someone who has made far fewer. It simply tells us that you have had more time, inclination or ease of access to a computer to make your postings.

As it happens, having also been an exile from the sunny climes of home for too long, I am very much in agreement with Taxi Lady's points of view. My approach was always to try to see us when we played up north but also to watch the local team at times. So, when studying in Birmingham I used to watch the Blues, when I moved to Huddersfield I would sometimes go to watch the Terriers. When I returned to the west country, to Somerset, Plainmoor was again in striking distance so Yeovil was not an option. So, at times and in different ways, it could certainly be argued that i "supported" the Blues and the Terriers financially by paying my gate money and vocally encouraging them. Why? Simply because i couldn't get to Plainmoor that often and i wanted to watch live football. However, "MY" team has always Torquay. So, despite tending to still check on the results of the other 2 teams mentioned, there is only ONE team that I am ever committed to. I blame my parents for me being born in Shrublands and living in Watcombe :)

Oh and i don't apologise for making so few postings. I've obviously got one of those strange 5 minute gaps in my life this afternoon with nothing better to do with my time!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

SIDGULL wrote:With respect (and i do not mean that in a sarcastic way), SuperNW, the number of posts that Torkie has made is an irrelevance. I am not necessarily in agreement with either of you, but just because you have bothered to make just short of 4600 does not give any extra weight to your opinions compared to someone who has made far fewer. It simply tells us that you have had more time, inclination or ease of access to a computer to make your postings.

As it happens, having also been an exile from the sunny climes of home for too long, I am very much in agreement with Taxi Lady's points of view. My approach was always to try to see us when we played up north but also to watch the local team at times. So, when studying in Birmingham I used to watch the Blues, when I moved to Huddersfield I would sometimes go to watch the Terriers. When I returned to the west country, to Somerset, Plainmoor was again in striking distance so Yeovil was not an option. So, at times and in different ways, it could certainly be argued that i "supported" the Blues and the Terriers financially by paying my gate money and vocally encouraging them. Why? Simply because i couldn't get to Plainmoor that often and i wanted to watch live football. However, "MY" team has always Torquay. So, despite tending to still check on the results of the other 2 teams mentioned, there is only ONE team that I am ever committed to. I blame my parents for me being born in Shrublands and living in Watcombe :)

Oh and i don't apologise for making so few postings. I've obviously got one of those strange 5 minute gaps in my life this afternoon with nothing better to do with my time!
quite true sidgull re posts.

but the point is who can say who someone can and cant support a particular team of their choosing?

irelevant of where they live.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

torkie_buoy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by torkie_buoy »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: quite true sidgull re posts.

but the point is who can say who someone can and cant support a particular team of their choosing?

irelevant of where they live.
I never said I was an expert on personal choice, again, I said- "it makes sense" to support your local team: I'm showing my opinion and not saying that it's fact, it's my opinion. To judge my "cluelessness" as you call it by the number of posts I've made on a website shows again how jumped up you are! Who are you to judge what anyone says on here anyway SuperNickyWroe? All hail the mighty forum master! Are you aware he's left? Stop acting like an old fart and learn to accept other people's opinions. Oh and your phrase "stop talking wet" is getting old too. That's enough of this now anyway, I'm not going to dwell on such a stupid matter.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

torkie_buoy wrote:How do you even call that "support"? A general consensus to supporting a club is you watch the games, keep up with news and stick with it, even when it doesn't go so well. Not watching any games but being local is surely not supporting a club, that'd be the extra 2/300 that turn up when we're in the play offs, kind of "support". And I'm pretty sure not seeing a team play at all pretty well says that you're not really supporting a side old man.
So, I'm intrigued. I work in retail and get paid a pittance, so can't make it to many games as I also work Saturdays and live all the way up near Cambridge. My local team was actually Argyle, as I lived in Ivybridge before I moved up here. I see so few games, I have averaged 1 a season over the last 5 years. Does this mean I'm not a "supporter", despite keeping up to date with the team and have followed them since I was a child?

I'd love to know your opinions and then completely destroy them if you say no!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
torkie_buoy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by torkie_buoy »

cambgull wrote: So, I'm intrigued. I work in retail and get paid a pittance, so can't make it to many games as I also work Saturdays and live all the way up near Cambridge. My local team was actually Argyle, as I lived in Ivybridge before I moved up here. I see so few games, I have averaged 1 a season over the last 5 years. Does this mean I'm not a "supporter", despite keeping up to date with the team and have followed them since I was a child?

Hi Cambgull, I said in another post, if you can't make the games/can't afford to go to them- fair enough. And I didn't mean that if you don't go to every game you're not a supporter either, keeping up with news is part of it too. I just don't like the fact that some people ditch sides when they're not so good, and then readopt their 'support' as soon as things are better. I do apologise for not putting my point across clearly, it's very easy to get lost in your own words.
You don't NEED to be local to support a side, it makes sense to support your local side. You don't need to go to every game to support a side either, what I'm saying is when someone hasn't watched a side at all, how can they even be sure they support them? And when
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

cambgull wrote: So, I'm intrigued. I work in retail and get paid a pittance, so can't make it to many games as I also work Saturdays and live all the way up near Cambridge. My local team was actually Argyle, as I lived in Ivybridge before I moved up here. I see so few games, I have averaged 1 a season over the last 5 years. Does this mean I'm not a "supporter", despite keeping up to date with the team and have followed them since I was a child?

dont be daft Luke........

of course you're not a supporter......................

TUST Member 468

cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

torkie_buoy wrote:Hi Cambgull, I said in another post, if you can't make the games/can't afford to go to them- fair enough. And I didn't mean that if you don't go to every game you're not a supporter either, keeping up with news is part of it too. I just don't like the fact that some people ditch sides when they're not so good, and then readopt their 'support' as soon as things are better. I do apologise for not putting my point across clearly, it's very easy to get lost in your own words.
You don't NEED to be local to support a side, it makes sense to support your local side. You don't need to go to every game to support a side either, what I'm saying is when someone hasn't watched a side at all, how can they even be sure they support them? And when
Fair enough, so it's more about apathy then?
Imanarse wrote:dont be daft Luke........

of course you're not a supporter......................
Turns out, torkie's theory makes me a big fan of your wife/girlfriend/mother! I go to all of her games :na:
Luke.

torkie_buoy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by torkie_buoy »

Yes I guess so! Haha very good :-P
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

by torkie_buoy

Yes, if you're not local, you can't watch the games- fair enough. And if you can't afford it/can't make the games- fair enough. But if you haven't seen then play at all, how do you even decide whether that's support or not? I'm not trying to argue with you in a hostile way, so stop acting so jumped up and eratic.
by torkie_buoy

I never said I was an expert on personal choice, again, I said- "it makes sense" to support your local team: I'm showing my opinion and not saying that it's fact, it's my opinion. To judge my "cluelessness" as you call it by the number of posts I've made on a website shows again how jumped up you are! Who are you to judge what anyone says on here anyway SuperNickyWroe? All hail the mighty forum master! Are you aware he's left? Stop acting like an old fart and learn to accept other people's opinions. Oh and your phrase "stop talking wet" is getting old too. That's enough of this now anyway, I'm not going to dwell on such a stupid matter.
Andy, is that you back again?
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

In regards to Andy throwing in the towel and stop supporting Torquay is ridiculous. You either support Torquay or don't, you don't support them and then jump ship. Pretty annoyed he has left us, it don't make sense. But Andy leaving, won't make no difference to the club performance just disappointed he has given up.
Lucy
torkie_buoy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by torkie_buoy »

chunkygull wrote: Andy, is that you back again?
sorry to disappoint, but I'm just a lowly 17 year old student :)
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

chunkygull wrote: Andy, is that you back again?
The posts are too short, Chunky. If you don't get bored half way through them, it can't be an Andy post.
Luke.

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

DerbyshireGull wrote:
Trojan: Hope this degenerate is keeping well! Not heard from him for a bit. A wily, eccentric old boy who has been there and got the t-shirt. Met him in Boots once, complete with bag. Keep well Troj!
I'm back and very well thank you. You'll be back as well, hopefully soon, but it wont have quite the same impact you saying it as when the really famous Austrian said it.

:~D
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"