skybet next manager odds

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

I just hope that we are able to appoint a manager on a temporary "prove yourself" contract. I would guess that this would be possible & it is a buyers market at the moment.
A player manager would seem to be the way to go, if he f##ks up the management then he would still have his security as a player. If he was titled "Temporary Manager" then he would not lose face if he did not get the manager's job.This job may be of interest to some very good & experienced players nearing the end of their playing days, & keen to try out management. A current senior player should have enough contacts in the game to be able to loan some great young players at no great cost. It will not have gone un- noticed that Torquay have some decent players to work with, far better than starting with a side that has just been regelated & requiring a total rebuild,
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

'Temporary manager'? And we want to convince the rest of the football world that we're not amatuer? Such a title wouldn't give the new man much confidence from the start!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

My mate keeps going on about Dowie. But theres not a chance he'd come here for a start. And I'm not sure weather he'd be any good or not.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

No Lubos kubik?!?! I'm distraught!
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper

Fonda wrote:'Temporary manager'? And we want to convince the rest of the football world that we're not amatuer? Such a title wouldn't give the new man much confidence from the start!
I see your point regarding the resent ticket sales & admin. & believe that amatuer best describes the number of cock-ups that occured.

I don't think that any of the clubs would describe Torquay''s current team as amatuer!! I believe that we are regarded as being a very decent L2 side.

In the real world it is quite commom to appoint staff into temp. promotions or temp. posts.

Much better I.M.O. than having to pay someone £60,000 to get rid of them after only a few weeks work!
In any case we don't have to worry about what the rest of the football world think when most of the clubs in the country are not even run well enough to break even, & some are even quite happy to grossly overspend & then go into administrtion to get out of the sh#t. We should not care about what people that are running failing businesses think about us, but be judged on what happens on the field.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

And what about the manager we offer the job to on a 'temporary' basis? What kind of quality applicant would we get for that post? Do you not think that is adding an extra pressure from the outset?

I'd like to think if confident enough to give someone the job, we don't expect it to go badly within a matter of weeks. Pick the man we have confidence in and back him.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Give me an amatuer over an amateur any day of the week :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper

Fonda wrote:And what about the manager we offer the job to on a 'temporary' basis? What kind of quality applicant would we get for that post? Do you not think that is adding an extra pressure from the outset?

I'd like to think if confident enough to give someone the job, we don't expect it to go badly within a matter of weeks. Pick the man we have confidence in and back him.
What kind of applicant?...............One that either suceeded or failed, If a failier then easy to get rid of.

Adding extra pressure?................All managers are under the same pressure,get results or get the sack!

Pick the man we have confidence in!........What makes you think that the board are capible of making a sound football decision? The last appointment PB, was recommended by Colin Lee & thank goodness they took his advice, otherwise we would still be gracing the BSP.
In any case I am not convinced that a board who could not get to grips with tickets sales for Old Trafford,would be able to make the right choice.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

We need an experienced manager next year. Not someone's first job when we've got a reduced budget and are going to be up against it. Of that list I'd take Leroy back. Still would like Jim Harvey to get the job with Hargreaves as assistant.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

royalgull wrote:We need an experienced manager next year. Not someone's first job when we've got a reduced budget and are going to be up against it. Of that list I'd take Leroy back. Still would like Jim Harvey to get the job with Hargreaves as assistant.

As others have stated, that's exactly the situation Bournemouth faced.

Hargreaves with Milton being used as his right hand man.
Dave

Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

If you offer a job to a manager on a 'temporary' basis, you are indicating to him you're not convinced he can do the job. That makes the post less appealing and more difficult. Most managers are given a certain amount of time to make things work. A manager on a 6-month deal will know that he's 'easier' to get rid of because of lower cost implications - that creates greater pressure and means only those very desperate will be interested. If they are very deseperate, they are likely not very good.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Southampton Gull wrote:
As others have stated, that's exactly the situation Bournemouth faced.

Hargreaves with Milton being used as his right hand man.
Eh? Thought Buckle had nicked Milton away from us and whisked him up the M5?

Scratch that, just seen the other thread. Apologies!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

http://torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave

wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper

[quote="Fonda"]If you offer a job to a manager on a 'temporary' basis, you are indicating to him you're not convinced he can do the job. That makes the post less appealing and more difficult. Most managers are given a certain amount of time to make things work. A manager on a 6-month deal will know that he's 'easier' to get rid of because of lower cost implications - that creates greater pressure and means only those very desperate will be interested. If they are very deseperate, they are likely not very good.[/quote]

I thought that the plan was that we would only want a manager that was very desperate for a job & success.

I've always thought that Sir Alex was very desperate, but have never heard him described as "not very good"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

No need to be pedantic. You know exactly the point i was making. We're not looking for someone who just happens to be deseperate for work, wherever someone will pay them.