Emirates FA Cup 1st round | Torquay United v Crawley Town | 08/11/2020 12.45pm KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

I **** hate Crawley
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Poor game management
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

Red shirted ref is happy
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Unfortunately got what we deserved, poor defending and game management. Perhaps the only thing is we gave a top half league 2 side a game
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

WOW, there's nothing you can say about that. Little in the way of quality, a typical FA Cup tie. Being honest, Crawley were the better side especially after their Goalkeeper got injured. I hope the lad's OK.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Covolan certainly didn't do himself any favours with that performance
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

When you don't defend not one but two 2 goal leads, do you deserve to win?
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
DWB
First Regular
First Regular

Post by DWB »

Dutchgull wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 15:38 Red shirted ref is happy

Don’t think you can say that he gave us 2 penalties that others may/probably wouldn’t have
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

He certainly gave two many soft free kicks and not always in our favour !!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Modgull »

I think that showed the difference between league 2 and NL. Crawley never panicked, played their game, moving us around and the gaps appeared as our defence ran out of steam. For our part didn't know how to manage the game. Warren coming on seemed to unsettle our defence rather than the other way round. For the neutrals it would have been a real end-to-ender. We had 19 attempts 14 on target. They had 14 attempts and 10 on target but crucially their last three all resulted in goals in the second half of ET. Hope this doesn't upset the league form - at least there were no serious injuries but it will have dented the confidence of the defence.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

What a phenomenal game. 11 goals - what team loses scoring 5 goals - only Torquay are capable of that. It was ours to lose and so congrats to Crawley for making a game out of it when many other teams may have given up. No complaints from me it was a entertaining match and I hope the lads learn a lot from it - particularly game management - to take into our league matches against teams nowhere near the quality of Crawley.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular

Post by DWB »

MellowYellow wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 15:53 What a phenomenal game. 11 goals - what team loses scoring 5 goals - only Torquay are capable of that. It was ours to lose and so congrats to Crawley for making a game out of it when many other teams may have given up. No complaints from me it was a entertaining match and I hope the lads learn a lot from it - particularly game management - to take into our league matches against teams nowhere near the quality of Crawley.
Agreed
DWB
First Regular
First Regular

Post by DWB »

Let’s hope they get a c**p draw now!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I m obviously gutted that we have lost that game, however I m proud of our lads who gave it everything. It was one heck of a match full of everything, the reason why the FA Cup means so much to us supporters.
Of course we made mistakes and should have done better defending and managing the game at critical times.
I hope their keeper is not seriously injured and fair play to Crawley who were just too strong for us physically and mentally today. We showed today that we are not that far away from that standard of a league 2 team. This should give us the confidence in the league to make a serious challenge at promotion.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Having calmed down there are positives to take from the game, not least putting five past a league team,as already stated by others we were unable to use our game management, in fact at 5-3 up it was a totally alien concept to us. But I also believe that our game plan second half was certainly lacking, Covolan was at direct fault for three of their goals,and if he starts next saturday it will show how much faith johnson has in Mcdonald. Wynter.usually Mr reliable had a dire game but in his defence I am convinced he is carrying an injury from our last televised game, whilst whitfield and nemane are undoubtedly two of our most technical players going forwards, nemane offers no protection to wynter when defending, three games of watching little since his return from injury and I think he has lost some of that insight and magic that so defined him. I would have brought on andrews instead of waters for his nuisance value and extra legs in midfield.
I do not underestimate the job Johnson has to lift the players before next saturday,