Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Steve Bower is by far and away my favourite commentator and I reckon it must have something to do with that game. If anyone hasn't got the dvd and wants one.........
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Had no doubt that match would be #1, perhaps a little undeservedly but it's the one that the majority of the forum here will remember. I'd like to say thanks to Plymouth Gull for running this, it was a great little feature and I was genuinely looking forward to seeing which matches popped up each day.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Yes, Mr. Plymouth has done well. Perhaps next time whoever runs one of these Top Twenties could ensure there's a division of age; thus proper games like the '65 Spurs match would get precedence over silly games (i.e. vs Conference teams). It would be difficult, and people would have to admit their age , but it could work.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Trouble is, Wivel, that only you, me, Stefano and a couple of others would have the field to ourselves for the older matches!
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

There's nothing to stop you starting a thread: 'My favourite games of the '60's', which I'm sure would be appreciated.
Bloggy (49yrs)
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Obviously this was going to be skewed by more people having seen matches in the last few years and more having been to home games or Wembley.

I didn't put my ten in any intended order - didn't realise we were supposed to do that, but if I had I think number one would have been the Crewe game as had we lost that the club may well have ceased to exist.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper

Post by gateman49 »

You and me both, Standupsitdown, I had the Crewe match as the number one.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

gateman49 wrote:You and me both, Standupsitdown, I had the Crewe match as the number one.
No only you Mr Gateman. He didn't put them in order. I had a read of Mr Plymouth's OP just to check if he explained it all so diabolically wrong that loads of people didn't know how to do it. No he didn't! ;-)
Uberwozza-san
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Uberwozza-san »

Many thanks again for running this thread - brought back so many happy TUFC memories.

I am also a little surprised that a conference final would beat a 7-6 win on penalties to get promoted to 'now' League One, or the Crewe or Wolves away games. but i guess that is the vagary of the format. You see this in 'best ever film' or book votes where something recent wins that in ten years time would not get a mention.

maybe in future you could weight the results based on decade? any vote for a match post 2000 gets reduced by 50%, 40% for 90's, 30% for 80s etc down to 50s as is

woudl be interesting to know if you did that whether the top 5 would change on this submitted list?
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper

Post by gateman49 »

Yes, there's a thought, apply the Duckworth Lewis formula.