Is Hargreaves fit for purpose?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote:There's no excuse for this season, had we finished around 8th say 10 points off the play-offs I would have taken that, personally would have said the manager, team and club had achieved what should have been a reasonable expectation, anything above that would have been a bonus. The problem is the best likely finish now is 12th although think a lower finish is likely, we're currently 20 points of the playoffs, not even close to good enough.

Look at our squad, people go on about the lack of experience, however when you go down the spine of the team, you see Rice, Downes, Pearce, Young, Briscoe, Bowman, add to that Tonge, Cruise, Harding and how much more football league experience did we want. This squad should have been top 8 with an outside chance of the play-offs at the very least, and if they'd been managed right they would have been.

Buckle was hung, drawn and quartered on here, and rightly so, for arrogance, thinking he was always right, player fall outs, excuse making. Yet similar stories of arrogance, failing to admit at times he's got things wrong and general thought that he (CH) is always right, excuse making have emerged regards Chris Hargreaves and silence, clearly going to be forgiven by many, maybe because he's a club legend I guess.

Having said all that, we all make mistakes, we all misjudge situations, I fully believe everyone is owed a second chance, yes, game 1 next season CH starts with a clean slate as far as I'm concerned, but it will not last long, I personally will want to see at least 18-20 points from our opening 10 games, reasonable expectation, and failure to achieve and I will be right on his case, as this season for me can't be, and will not forgiven.
Your too soft :whistle: :keepie:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote:There's no excuse for this season, had we finished around 8th say 10 points off the play-offs I would have taken that, personally would have said the manager, team and club had achieved what should have been a reasonable expectation, anything above that would have been a bonus. The problem is the best likely finish now is 12th although think a lower finish is likely, we're currently 20 points of the playoffs, not even close to good enough.

Look at our squad, people go on about the lack of experience, however when you go down the spine of the team, you see Rice, Downes, Pearce, Young, Briscoe, Bowman, add to that Tonge, Cruise, Harding and how much more football league experience did we want. This squad should have been top 8 with an outside chance of the play-offs at the very least, and if they'd been managed right they would have been.

Buckle was hung, drawn and quartered on here, and rightly so, for arrogance, thinking he was always right, player fall outs, excuse making. Yet similar stories of arrogance, failing to admit at times he's got things wrong and general thought that he (CH) is always right, excuse making have emerged regards Chris Hargreaves and silence, clearly going to be forgiven by many, maybe because he's a club legend I guess.

Having said all that, we all make mistakes, we all misjudge situations, I fully believe everyone is owed a second chance, yes, game 1 next season CH starts with a clean slate as far as I'm concerned, but it will not last long, I personally will want to see at least 18-20 points from our opening 10 games, reasonable expectation, and failure to achieve and I will be right on his case, as this season for me can't be, and will not forgiven.

:goodpost: Dave.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

"I personally will want to see at least 18-20 points from our opening 10 games, reasonable expectation".

I agree and think that's a fair expectation given our facilities and attendances compared with the other teams in the conference.
TUST MEMBER
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Have been told that Sturrock saw Greavsie's budget for next season and feels mighty sorry for him. Clearly the budget has been cut significantly and the training ground is still poor, so expectations for what Torquay United can and should achieve next season should remain realistic.
PaulR
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PaulR »

goodluckgull wrote:Have been told that Sturrock saw Greavsie's budget for next season and feels mighty sorry for him. Clearly the budget has been cut significantly and the training ground is still poor, so expectations for what Torquay United can and should achieve next season should remain realistic.

That would surely only be possible if the new owners were in place as it will be they that set the budget.............
http://www.rockettrides.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

PaulR wrote:

That would surely only be possible if the new owners were in place as it will be they that set the budget.............
What new owners ? do you think there will be any? Will the current board invest more money?
Best plan could be to go part time next season to ensure that the club does not go into administration. :(
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

wodger of awabia wrote: Best plan could be to go part time next season to ensure that the club does not go into administration. :(
I really don't understand why people keep on bringing this idea up. Every time it gets mooted, the sensible posters on here point out how that would be an absolute disaster for the club and yet people keep on spouting it. Is it some morbid desire for the club to sink even lower? A genuine ignorance of what it takes to be a successful part time club vis-à-vis geography and proximity to abundant local talent?
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

madgull wrote: I really don't understand why people keep on bringing this idea up. Every time it gets mooted, the sensible posters on here point out how that would be an absolute disaster for the club and yet people keep on spouting it. Is it some morbid desire for the club to sink even lower? A genuine ignorance of what it takes to be a successful part time club vis-à-vis geography and proximity to abundant local talent?
Yes exactly. Twice weekly evening training sessions may have to take place in Bristol, or Birmingham, or where most of the players live, which is not likely to be somewhere in Devon. The Hogworts training ground could then be disposed of.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote: Having said all that, we all make mistakes, we all misjudge situations, I fully believe everyone is owed a second chance, yes, game 1 next season CH starts with a clean slate as far as I'm concerned, but it will not last long, I personally will want to see at least 18-20 points from our opening 10 games, reasonable expectation, and failure to achieve and I will be right on his case, as this season for me can't be, and will not forgiven.
I'd go along with that, Forever. But it does bother me that he is still making strange decisions. Wouldn't quibble too much with the team selection for the Altrincham match but i can't understand why he had Yeoman on the bench who surely won't be at Plainmoor next season but didn't include Prynn who presumably will be. There's no logic in some of his decisions and although I haven't seen the young hopefuls such as Chaney and Parcell play, I don't understand why he doesn't give them a bit of game time experience at this stage of the season.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote: I'd go along with that, Forever. But it does bother me that he is still making strange decisions. Wouldn't quibble too much with the team selection for the Altrincham match but i can't understand why he had Yeoman on the bench who surely won't be at Plainmoor next season but didn't include Prynn who presumably will be. There's no logic in some of his decisions and although I haven't seen the young hopefuls such as Chaney and Parcell play, I don't understand why he doesn't give them a bit of game time experience at this stage of the season.
Saturday we flattered to deceive the fullbacks and wide midfielders first half were to far apart and Ives and Dawson were isolated so had no help and we came under pressure and could easily have conceded. A better side would have taken advantage. The second half Hargreaves must have said something as this gap between them closed and we became more solid.
I just feel Chris is inexperienced and not learning, I know you all think I'm talking out my ass but I assure you I'm not. The best thing a new owner can do is get an experienced manager (He does not have to be fulltime)to guide Chris in the right direction. As Tomogull says strange decisions are taking place and have been for a long time which to me is inexperience.
Do we need an assistant?
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Arcadia asks whether we need an assistant manager. A good point and something i have been wondering about too. I think an assistant is a luxury and surely the money would be better used in bringing in a senior advisor to help guide CH?
It seems that CH will be here next season, i think if that is the case, then its vital he gets some experienced help as he has not yet shown himself capable of doing it on his own.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

arcadia wrote: I know you all think I'm talking out my ass but I assure you I'm not.
Oh yes you are.....................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Southampton Gull wrote: Oh yes you are.....................
I wonder what Fergie had been doing in his downtime. Seems he has found his way on here! :keepie:
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

arcadia wrote: Saturday we flattered to deceive the fullbacks and wide midfielders first half were to far apart and Ives and Dawson were isolated so had no help and we came under pressure and could easily have conceded. A better side would have taken advantage. The second half Hargreaves must have said something as this gap between them closed and we became more solid.
I just feel Chris is inexperienced and not learning, I know you all think I'm talking out my ass but I assure you I'm not. The best thing a new owner can do is get an experienced manager (He does not have to be fulltime)to guide Chris in the right direction. As Tomogull says strange decisions are taking place and have been for a long time which to me is inexperience.
Do we need an assistant?
Perhaps such an expert and guru as yourself could offer your services? :keepie:
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

So you say this:
arcadia wrote: I just feel Chris is inexperienced and not learning
Yet, just above that explained that you felt that the fullbacks and wide midfielders were too far apart and that Ives and Dawson were isolated, coming under pressure etc, yet
arcadia wrote: The second half Hargreaves must have said something as this gap between them closed and we became more solid
Does that not suggest to you that our "inexperienced manager" who is "not learning", actually recognised the very thing that you did, and addressed it? Far from not learning, I would suggest that he is doing that very thing, especially in the example you highlighted....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com