Mr Owers steps down

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

brucie wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 13:18 I don't know anything about the loan signings at all, all I said was that looking at your ipad every morning to see whether Owers has been sacked is stupid and a waste of time because it obviously isn't going to happen - of course if lose the next three games that situation will probably change.
One down ,two to go brucie until owers is sacked then ?
As you have now seen that decision is long long overdue . I wonder how many other posters other than myself hope to wake up to such news .
You have to agree that if he was at any other club he would have been long gone by now .
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I really don't understand why people don't get it.
If Osbourne cared about the club and its performance he would probably have sacked Owers by now. But he doesn't so persists with Owers, even if he wanted to placate the fans he would just replace Owers with another flunky.
Owers is not the problem, it is Osbourne. Get real.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Owers is part of the problem.........
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 13:08 Owers is part of the problem.........
And so is Pie face Harrop & Dave Hedges , they're all THE PROBLEM, FECKING AMATEURS TRYING to act PROFFESIONAL in any other walk of life they'd be had up for FECKING FRAUD, BASTARDZ each & every one of them, now you can see why Matin Khul jumped ship, he couldn't live with the deception any longer, IMO.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 13:08 Owers is part of the problem.........
Disagree! Owers in not part of the problem he is the whole problem concering football matters.

Osborne cannot be blamed for our poor performances. Although he cares nothing about Torquay Utd per se, he nonetheless is funding it generously albeit for his own agenda. Look at the BBC video of Osborne (at 3min 10sec) expressing his view that the Key Position which is absolutely necessary for the new stadium to be viable is for Torquay to climb back into the football league. Now how is he going to sell that to the Council when we are scrapping the bottom of the barrel in the NLS.

I think Owers could be on a sticky wicket with holding his job, not just because he has totally screwed up Torquay Utd's promotion bid but more importantly he has totally screwed up Osborne's primary selling point to the Council of a grand stadium 'fit for purpose' for Torquay's return to the 'promised land'.

BBC Video: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44981501 --- 'Key Position' at 3min 10sec
Last edited by MellowYellow on 09 Sep 2018, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Osborne decided on Owers to do the job rather than fit for purpose and unltimately more experienced and successful Managers who have operated at levels Owers could only dream about so he is definitely PART of the problem.
Dave

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

He must be part of the problem because he is the manager.

Chippenham were possibly the worst team I have ever seen. I still say we have some reasonable players but can't fathom why we can't score a goal.

Have we actually scored a first half goal this season? That's half the problem - we don't ever take the lead early enough.

People say how come Truro beat Gloucester when we didn't - Probably because Gloucester didn't put 11 men behind the ball for ninety minutes.

Our failure to open teams up is costing us dearly at the moment.
Last edited by brucie on 09 Sep 2018, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Win next week and we are on our way to the playoffs, lose the following week and we are heading for relegation. Ultimately With Owers at the helm it’s mid table mediocrity and then part time for next season.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

MellowYellow wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 14:03 Disagree! Owers in not part of the problem he is the whole problem concering football matters.

Osborne cannot be blamed for our poor performances. Although he cares nothing about Torquay Utd per se, he nonetheless is funding it generously albeit for his own agenda. Look at the BBC video of Osborne (at 3min 10sec) expressing his view that the Key Position which is absolutely necessary for the new stadium to be viable is for Torquay to climb back into the football league. Now how is he going to sell that to the Council when we are scrapping the bottom of the barrel in the NLS.

I think Owers could be on a sticky wicket with holding his job, not just because he has totally screwed up Torquay Utd's promotion bid but more importantly he has totally screwed up Osborne's primary selling point to the Council of a grand stadium 'fit for purpose' for Torquay's return to the 'promised land'.

BBC Video: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44981501 --- 'Key Position' at 3min 10sec
Valid points about Owers being solely responsible for matters on the pitch and not Osborne and i totally agree.

What i disagree with is the notion that Osborne wants a successful TUFC and to see them climb back into the football league. Even more do i disagree that this is Osborne's selling point to the council.

First of all it's easier and quicker to destroy things and fail than to build things and achieve. In anything. It's easier for Osborne to destroy TUFC and send them tumbling through the non league divisions than it is for him to built a sustainable and successful football club to be back in the football league.

Therefore i propose that his aim isn't to accomplish the latter and then going to council and saying "look what we've achieved together" and thus convincing the council that the club is on the up and prosperous again and a new stadium is a good idea.

His aim is to accomplish the former and leave the club so lowly and decaying that he can then go to the council and say "look at the state of the club now. I've done my best but we are in the 11th tier of non league football with crowds of 85 and therefore there isn't really any point in building a new stadium now and the club isn't viable to run anymore so it's best for the community to hand over the freehold and i can build some houses for us all to benefit".

My opinions of course.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 14:57
His aim is to accomplish the former and leave the club so lowly and decaying that he can then go to the council and say "look at the state of the club now. I've done my best but we are in the 11th tier of non league football with crowds of 85 and therefore there isn't really any point in building a new stadium now and the club isn't viable to run anymore so it's best for the community to hand over the freehold and i can build some houses for us all to benefit".
Exactly, but this why I disagree that Owers is part of the problem. Osbourne is the whole problem.
Assuming that your thesis is correct then if Osbourne ever got rid of Owers he would just replace him with somebody equally inept.
Where i have disagreed with you in the past is in your contention that Owers signed an agreement that he would deliberately sabotage the football side of things. What I think is that Osbourne deliberately recruited somebody whose CV indicated that he was totally unqualified for the position and would therefore definitely fail. Hence Osbourne would never replace Owers with somebody more able to do the job.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Why wait 6 weeks to appoint him then ? Osbourne didn’t need to wait to get Owers in as there are millions of unemployed football managers with an equally shit managerial pedigree. He could even have stuck with Nicho ,unless he thought that he was a risk in actually making us successful or at least avoid relegation .
In addition Osborne wouldn’t know a decent or crap Football managers CV to be able to choose anyone for any purpose and must have been advised by one of his puppets. And then that assumption relies on the fact that they football geniuses in finding the perfect shit manager. I’m not saying CO isn’t rubbing his hands together at the prospect of his long term plan but there are enough wacky conspiracy theories out there without any basis .lets not add another one.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 15:19 Exactly, but this why I disagree that Owers is part of the problem. Osbourne is the whole problem.
Assuming that your thesis is correct then if Osbourne ever got rid of Owers he would just replace him with somebody equally inept.
Where i have disagreed with you in the past is in your contention that Owers signed an agreement that he would deliberately sabotage the football side of things. What I think is that Osbourne deliberately recruited somebody whose CV indicated that he was totally unqualified for the position and would therefore definitely fail. Hence Osbourne would never replace Owers with somebody more able to do the job.
I see your points P78 however I didn't say that Owers signed an agreement with Osborne to deliberately sabotage the football side of things but i do believe that something isn't right and Owers isn't to be trusted and i have posted this previously. Although i appreciate your differing opinion that Owers is guilty of nothing more than being totally out of his depth and that also could be the case.

The suspicion is aroused further in me when i think back to the length of time it took Osborne to recruit Owers and that no details of his contract in terms of length etc were published at the time. When does his contract expire anyway? Also i read somewhere that Osborne and Owers are either related or knew one another prior to teaming up.

It's all conspiracy theories i admit but something doesn't add up in a massive way and if Osborne wanted to appoint someone on a decent wage who would be totally out of his depth then the pool to choose from is huge. It wouldn't have taken as long as it did for some nobody from the dog and duck to plucked from obscurity and to be suddenly given the task of guiding Torquay back into the football league.

Osborne wanted someone in who he knew would co operate with him and Owers appears to fit that bill.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 09 Sep 2018, 15:50, edited 2 times in total.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I don't for one moment think Owers is doing anything to deliberately sabotage anything, he's simply a poor manager and the same poor manager he was prior to his appointment.

He's never once looked like a good manager in his time with us. His team plays poor quality football just like they did last season when they were labelled Nicholson players. He's seemingly oblivious to just how poor we are in comparison to average sides in this shit division. Is he responsible for that? Of course he is. Is he responsible for the state of the club? Of course not.

He's part of the problem running through the whole club, apathy.
Dave

greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by greb46 »

The manager accepts another loss in a matter of fact attitude and the owner shows supposed disinterest from a distance albeit to his undoubted glee as the club slides into gradual oblivion so the apathy spreads throughout the players too and the downward spiral continues.Sad to see.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

The key question that leaves us all scratching our heads and adding to the conspiracies is why doesn't CO sack Owers with immediate effect? I think most of us now can see that Owers has had more than enough time and support as manager and not only has he taken the club down but he's struggling for both results and performances already in the league below. Attendances are falling and interest in the football club is at an all time low.

At most clubs, if not all. He would have been sacked by now as owners look to flex their muscles at the very least let alone try and get their football club out of the shit pretty damn sharpish. Osborne seems to think there are valid reasons for not doing so despite the continued detriment to the football club that he owns and it's the reason for this that is up for debate.