Mr Owers steps down

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Goody - pointless debating it because he isn't going now.

To suggest he can only sign players from Bristol City is just plain daft as well. Andrews has played in league 2 and the free kick he scored against us wasn't a fluke. Take a look on you tube at the free kick he scored against Cheltenham - the boys obviously got quality. Edwards scored two against us in the friendly so dismissing these players as a waste of money before they have kicked a ball is ludicrous.

Andrews didn't just score the free kick in the friendly. Take a look at the pass that set Edwards up for the third goal.

I wasn't suggesting that Owers has lost the dressing room - just repeating what other people were suggesting.

Tomorrows game could be a bit of a defining moment I feel. Lose again and the pressure is going to increase ten fold. If we win and with Chippenham and Hungerford to come you get the feeling that GO might be sleeping a lot better on Saturday night.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

After the bank holiday weekend I think the two new loanees are the last throw of the dice. He's had nigh on a week to sort things out with the squad. I would hope they have had a good chat together, aired some grievances and got some things of their chests - both players and manager. Last weekend was about as low as we can afford things to get. We have to turn it around and start winning games. Clean-sheets are great but they are a given for a full-time professional team in this league. A win tomorrow to start a good run and I'll be happy for GO to keep his job.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

brucie wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 13:25 Goody - pointless debating it because he isn't going now.

To suggest he can only sign players from Bristol City is just plain daft as well. Andrews has played in league 2 and the free kick he scored against us wasn't a fluke. Take a look on you tube at the free kick he scored against Cheltenham - the boys obviously got quality. Edwards scored two against us in the friendly so dismissing these players as a waste of money before they have kicked a ball is ludicrous.

Andrews didn't just score the free kick in the friendly. Take a look at the pass that set Edwards up for the third goal.

I wasn't suggesting that Owers has lost the dressing room - just repeating what other people were suggesting.

Tomorrows game could be a bit of a defining moment I feel. Lose again and the pressure is going to increase ten fold. If we win and with Chippenham and Hungerford to come you get the feeling that GO might be sleeping a lot better on Saturday night.
I pray your right. They do look good in the clips, but they were also playing in arguably a better team, playing with confidence, something they won't be doing at Torquay.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Good point, but probably not arguably
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I think that initially, we all wished Owers the very best hoping that he would keep us in the National League. However we are now 45 games into his tenure at TUFC and Owers has made his own managerial bed. These 2 Bristol City loanees are shit or bust for him.
If we are back in the playoffs in the next couple of games he may well have done enough in most fans eyes in order to keep his job.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I come on here after being busy for a while and find the thread has gone ballistic with bang out of order "threadin behaviour" ;-)

Whatever happened to giving the manager 10-15 games or until the end of September ? Yeah, yeah, I hear you, the last plank didn't get to the end of August. :|

My prediction is the current plank (if he remains in post) will have TUFC in the relegation places before the beginning of October and rooted to the bottom of the table at Christmas. Before New Year 2019, Williams, Keating and Reid wont score 10 goals between them.

You do know what is it said about predictions ? Like lies, dam lies and statistics, they are f*****g worthless. :nod:

:engflag:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
acbtufc
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Paul Ramsey

Post by acbtufc »

Yorkieandy wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 11:12 Should have been sacked upon relegation. Having had almost a full season last, taking the club down to NLS was a disaster that the club will never recover from. Something that some fans don't seem to realize and are far too 'nice and fair' to condemn, although i'm not advocating fans have carte blance to hurl beverages in his mush on a regular basis to disprove this assumption.

Owers had his chance and he bodged it up royally, ending up being relegated weeks before the season actually ended and now weeks into a new season and automatic promotion looking a distant dream despite claiming he's already been planning before last season ended, some fans appear to believe that the addition of a goalscoring striker will solve all the problems.

Nobody respects Owers. Maybe a lot of the squad don't respect him? I know most of the fanbase don't respect him and Osborne doesn't respect him. Opting to keep paying him to continue taking the flak and to continue the systematic dismantling job of TUFC. Whether Owers intentionally is doing this or not i don't know but he is almightily shite at everything football related pretty much and that simply will continue if he had Messi and Ronaldo.

He's got the club relegated and now getting automatic promotion in the league below which IMO was the ONLY requirement as evidence of success, is slim.

Let's see how the next three games pan out?

Perhaps if a new manager had come in towards the end of last season and had three extra games then the club may still be in the NL.

That's the problem with Torquay. Always waiting and hoping that something will happen and something good is just around the corner but it never does and it never is. Instead it needs to start making people accountable for when they continually perform well below their job description which of course it never did until it was always too late and it still doesn't.

Owers needs to leave this football club RIGHT NOW!

All that aside, the tragedy is that unless Osborne leaves it wouldn't matter if he brought in Guardiola. The culture at the club (no Boy George puns please) is one of a continual lowering of status from everything to the playing staff to the management to the club's league position and hierarchy amongst South West football clubs. All under the guise of Osborne is investing and having these grand plans for the future. The irony being the club don't have one with these charlatans both running and managing the club.

Owers certainly is The Only One I Know according to Osborne and will continue to be so or i'll have a sex change and become a bloke! Apologies for the Charlatans pun there. ;-)

I only usually read this forum and it's taken me at least 30 mins to remember my log in details. I'm pleased that I have though because it gives me the chance to say how much of an irritating **** I find you. You must be **** lonely to post continuous **** drivel about a team you don't support. Usually I just skim past your posts but after a few pints I thought I would actually read one, and yep you are still a massive ****.

I find it staggering that you can slag off a division 6 club, aim a bit higher mate it's like taking the piss out of the disabled. I'll probably get banned for this but ain't bothered because I can still read and get pissed off with all the other bellends that post on here anyway. Sweet dreams and goodnight
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

And breathe. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, would be boring if we all thought the same. Enjoy your evening, you’re not banned.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

An opinion and an 'rsehole have what in common ? :|

Everyone has one. :nod: We few, we lucky few have a viewpoint. :nod:

:engflag:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

acbtufc wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 20:33 I can still read and get pissed off with all the other bellends that post on here anyway. Sweet dreams and goodnight
Hyperventilating?

Put a brown bag over your head.

Purpose two fold:

1) Help you breathe more easily and

2) Stops you reading the posts

Yours
'the other bell-end' :-D
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Louis wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 21:22 And breathe. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, would be boring if we all thought the same. Enjoy your evening, you’re not banned.
Quite right too he was absolutely on the nail ;-)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

acbtufc wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 20:33
I only usually read this forum and it's taken me at least 30 mins to remember my log in details. I'm pleased that I have though because it gives me the chance to say how much of an irritating **** I find you. You must be **** lonely to post continuous **** drivel about a team you don't support. Usually I just skim past your posts but after a few pints I thought I would actually read one, and yep you are still a massive ****.

I find it staggering that you can slag off a division 6 club, aim a bit higher mate it's like taking the piss out of the disabled. I'll probably get banned for this but ain't bothered because I can still read and get pissed off with all the other bellends that post on here anyway. Sweet dreams and goodnight
Only 30 mins?
why don't you take another 30 mins and give us the benefit of your obvious wonderful wisdom and insight then?
oh - by the way - stick to pop.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 23:21 Only 30 mins?
why don't you take another 30 mins and give us the benefit of your obvious wonderful wisdom and insight then?
oh - by the way - stick to pop.
Come on SNW alcohol and supporting Torquayunited should be made British law
Lucy
YorkshireGully
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reidy

Post by YorkshireGully »

Road2League2 wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 11:33 Trained with Reidy as a young lad over at a Brazilian Futsal school when I was younger. Good local lad with the foundations of a good player, just isn’t performing under our useless manager. GO out.
Told you Reidy would come good man of match today COYY.
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

I have a balanced view of Jamie Reid. the reality is this...his performances are pretty consistent, he,'s right footed and being played on the left and is then required to cut back onto his right which impacts his performances. He's fairly consistent....the only things that change are whether he scores a goal and the opinion of supporters. it's not dissimilar to the situation regarding Raheem Sterling for England. Did Jamie Reid play significantly better today than other games? No, he simply scored a goal and was more central in a more open second half and occupying a position that Brett Williams occupies. Has Jamie Reid come good? Was he man of the match? he's never been that bad, it wasn't significantly better today. lets not turn Jamie into Saint if he scores or sinner if he doesnt. Man of the Match was our goalie with a number of stunning saves in the first half.