Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

DevonBee wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 11:19 Yes seems so , however a pretty poor number of votes.
Just read Ellis returned to Barrow not good at all
With the hamstring injury he'd have to do his rehab with Barrow and with his age this won't be a short term injury
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Lucky Dave Thomas updates us as the club tell us bugger all.
Do we know for sure it was a hamstring?
And yet another training ground injury !(McGavin)
Oh well, hope the manager is bringing in an experienced replacement centre back or are we relying on Omar and Marshall/Donnellan with Crowe at right back ? Can't see any clean sheets with that personnel.
We are playing well enough but it's pretty pointless in more ways than one if you can't keep a clean sheet and take a chance or two at the other end.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

desperado wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 11:52 Lucky Dave Thomas updates us as the club tell us bugger all.
Oh well, hope the manager is bringing in an experienced replacement centre back or are we relying on Omar and Marshall/Donnellan with Crowe at right back ? Can't see any clean sheets with that personnel.
We are playing well enough but it's pretty pointless in more ways than one if you can't keep a clean sheet and take a chance or two at the other end.
That's the annoying thing.... :@

Hopefully the first of a few.....

https://torquayunited.com/aguiar-arrives-at-plainmoor/
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Scorpion
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Stevens

Post by Scorpion »

There seems to be an assumption in football that changing the manager will magically fix all the problems and things will miraculously improve. I'm not convinced it will, particularly in this case. Gary Johnson is a proven National League commodity - he has won the league twice - with Yeovil in 2003 and with Cheltenham in 2016. He of course finished 2nd with Torquay only two seasons ago and was a penalty shoot-out away from a 3rd promotion from this league. I do not understand who people think is actually better qualified or more likely to be successful than Gary Johnson.

This season has not been good, by any measure, but I do not know what limits GJ is working with. I can't imagine for one moment he has a competitive budget and whether people like to admit it or not, tempting people to come to Torquay is not easy because of the location. Another factor is the presence of Yeovil in the same division as players travelling to the South West have to pass Yeovil to get to Torquay. Are Torquay offering better wages, better facilities than Yeovil to tempt players to go those literal extra miles? I can't see anything improving with a change in the dugout.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

The latest accounts posted by the club appear to show that Osborne put in another £200,000. That is a severe drop from the average of £600,000 that has been out in over the past few years, in fact I think it's lower than the amount the Dave Philips board put in.
I certainly don't think that drop is due to the club becoming more financially efficient. This probably does indicate that Johnson's budget has been slashed. I think the outcome will be Johnson calls it a day in the summer unless Osborne is prepared to splash the cash.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

desperado wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 11:52 Lucky Dave Thomas updates us as the club tell us bugger all.
The communication is totally pi33 poor, and always has been. As i have said before if you want to find out about a loan player that is coming to an end with us....check out the parent club website or local online papers. I found out about Ellis return on Twitter long before anything was announced
from us....What is the secret, just like a new signing. This is a Johnson thing unfortunately. We are currently an easy touch for the opposition, and to think the silence is a one up on the opposition is the mentality he has. Its working well as the current table shows
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Less than 60/40 split now. In Gary we trust....
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 19:55 Less than 60/40 split now. In Gary we trust....
Are you voting using multiple devices?
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Southampton Gull wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 19:55 Less than 60/40 split now. In Gary we trust....
Getting like the Club's interviews with the Gaffer......boring and pointless (no pun intended). Too predictable.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

North Curry House wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 20:09 Getting like the Club's interviews with the Gaffer......boring and pointless (no pun intended). Too predictable.
Whatever the final count here....it is a pathetic response with the numbers voting.

The outcome whatever will not change things, we are stuck with Johnson, but he will be gone in the summer thats for sure.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Stick with Gary, stick with the team!
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Cheddargull wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 20:08 Are you voting using multiple devices?
I wonder who Bot has voted for? 20 odd ‘stick’ votes in the last 2 days compared with about 2 get rid votes. It’s all a conspiracy!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Admiral wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 10:05
It’s all a conspiracy!
I've been saying the same for a couple of years now ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by CourtierGull »

There’s still a lot of football to be played, depending on who would be interested in the job really decides whether to get rid or not for me. With the situation we’re in I would assume behind the scenes other managers who aren’t tied up have been asked the question and seeing as we still have Johnson they haven’t been interested.

On the plus side, it wouldn’t be unlike a Johnson side to suddenly go on a winning streak and we climb the table but I’m afraid we just too used to losing at the moment. Yeovil away I think we should have won that game and we’ve left with a 2-0 loss, I don’t know how much longer this can go on for but if no viable options are available then we’re better off sticking and fingers crossed we can turn some of these ‘better performances’ into wins.

As for my vote I voted to go, but if him going means it’s just downes who steps up or ASA is given the job then I’d rather we stick.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

What a shame that the morons who spoil this forum have ruined the poll that Louis started. I would have loved to see a honest poll and see how many fans want Johnson out and how many want him to stay.