Kevin Nicholson has his say..

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

I have read KN's words carefully and I can't find any excuses. He has given his side of the story and the issues that he has had to deal with since ha was appointed. I don't think there were any surprises in there and I am grateful to him for taking the time to share this info with the fans when he has both job and family issues to deal with.
As usual any thread about KN generates a lot of vitriolic abuse but he is between a rock and a hard place. Would he play every game if we didn't have such a depleted squad? I don't know. Would Dino Maamria have taken the job for the salary that we could pay and the playing budget that we have? I don't know. What I do know is that there are four Premier League teams and at least 9 Football League in Lancs so Southport have more opportunity to sign local players and they have been recruiting unattached players since Maamria was appointed. These players don't have to move house to play for Southport unlike most players who join us.
It's a tough job being manager of Torquay United at this time. I am not convinced that even Neil Warnock to quote a well known name could turn this around let alone Paul Sturrock.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

forevertufc wrote:Gloucester gull, you're not Andy who goes under the same username, hmmm Gloucester, anything to do with the Mansell family ? just a thought ;-)

I thought that was me you were talking about. But then i scrolled back and realised the spelling is different. I am brining this up with mods. cos I'm sure I did use that name a long while ago.
. haven't seen ya in a while. It's been too long. I't not very mobile these days. hard to get around on sticks and although trying to climb my way out of it which seems against the Governments wishes, they put more obstacles in my way that running the Grand National. I haven't sunk yet. just wish i could see Utd more. How are ya. And yes I'm still friends with the Mansells
Last edited by Glostergull on 20 Dec 2015, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

arcadia wrote:Cox walks out
His assistant walks out
Ramshaw never walked out, he offered to stay and his offer was rejected. He's one of the few that come out of this debacle with some credit. He could have left at exactly the same time as Cox.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Jack wrote:I have read KN's words carefully and I can't find any excuses. He has given his side of the story and the issues that he has had to deal with since ha was appointed. I don't think there were any surprises in there and I am grateful to him for taking the time to share this info with the fans when he has both job and family issues to deal with.
As usual any thread about KN generates a lot of vitriolic abuse but he is between a rock and a hard place. Would he play every game if we didn't have such a depleted squad? I don't know. Would Dino Maamria have taken the job for the salary that we could pay and the playing budget that we have? I don't know. What I do know is that there are four Premier League teams and at least 9 Football League in Lancs so Southport have more opportunity to sign local players and they have been recruiting unattached players since Maamria was appointed. These players don't have to move house to play for Southport unlike most players who join us.
It's a tough job being manager of Torquay United at this time. I am not convinced that even Neil Warnock to quote a well known name could turn this around let alone Paul Sturrock.
:goodpost:
There are some people here who seem to be getting very emotional (angry) whilst lacking in understanding and not seeing the whole picture. What KN has said is a perfectly reasonable response to what has been posted on this forum. There may well have been disagreements and poor decisions at Plainmoor, but until we know all the facts of the situation we should withhold judgement on such matters. There’s nothing to be done right now except to continue to support KN and the team, and to await developments.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

SenorDingDong wrote: Ramshaw never walked out, he offered to stay and his offer was rejected. He's one of the few that come out of this debacle with some credit. He could have left at exactly the same time as Cox.
The fact is he could walk out at anytime it suited the club he was not on contract. The fact he left after a 3-7 defeat he only left in credit as a person not as a football man. That day will stay with me as both Dean and him just stood and watched did not have a clue.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Gullscorer wrote: :goodpost:
There are some people here who seem to be getting very emotional (angry) whilst lacking in understanding and not seeing the whole picture. What KN has said is a perfectly reasonable response to what has been posted on this forum. There may well have been disagreements and poor decisions at Plainmoor, but until we know all the facts of the situation we should withhold judgement on such matters. There’s nothing to be done right now except to continue to support KN and the team, and to await developments.

That's your opinion. It's pretty disparaging to simply suggest anyone of a different one is lacking in understanding and not seeing the whole picture.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

arcadia wrote: The fact is he could walk out at anytime it suited the club he was not on contract. The fact he left after a 3-7 defeat he only left in credit as a person not as a football man. That day will stay with me as both Dean and him just stood and watched did not have a clue.
He managed the club for two games after that, neither of which were half as bad as the match Edwards took over (the 7-3).
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

DevonYellow wrote:
That's your opinion. It's pretty disparaging to simply suggest anyone of a different one is lacking in understanding and not seeing the whole picture.
"There are some people here who appear to me to be getting very emotional (angry) whilst seemingly lacking in understanding and apparently not seeing the whole picture."

Fixed it for you.. :-D
SilverIntoSteel
New Signing
New Signing

Post by SilverIntoSteel »

I had stopped following the team a bit to be honest, since I moved out of Devon and had to go to Guildford. I saw the horrible results, felt bad for a bit then moved on. I finally do a proper checkup and this is what I see. I personally think it's fairplay to the guy to be honest and frank about the club, and I wish it would happen more. I know the team need good support now more than ever, but it's hard when it's horrible football with no passion, skill, or tenacity.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Yes, okay, it's fair play to Nicholson to keep posting on Facebook and addressing certain issues, however, that doesn't cover everything. Firstly, he shouldn't have been appointed, plain and simple. It's not what we needed and it's not what will keep us up, sadly, it's all we could afford, it was the cheap option. At the Fans Forum he promised not to blame the (non-existent) budget and that's exactly what he's doing. I accept the fact we can't afford any decent players, but when we have those who play for Watcombe in a TUFC shirt, he can't be annoyed at the way United fans are reacting. It's depressing to see that that's all we're working with. The players we have at this present moment in time are not good enough and would struggle in the Conference South, this is how low we are. Can we do anything about it, can Nicho do anything about it? Well, a part from actually managing the side, perhaps watching the game in the stands in the first half and receiving experienced help, no, he can't do anything about it. No-one will invest in TUFC, the current board have no money to work with and are facing serious allegations made against them, allegations which haven't even been addressed properly.

This season had all the potential at the start, but we must look at Dean Edwards who gave himself a salaried position as Director of Football instead of paying the current manager and who received a pay-off when he resigned. The finger must be pointed at him when talking about the capitulation of the 2015/2016 season. Forever thankful that he got the consortium together, but he should have never given himself a salaried (pointless) position. When this happened, it was the beginning of the end.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

I have been very supportive of Kevin in the early stages of his tenure as manager, I think the post on Facebook was just inexperience as he's under pressure and trying to deflect attention from himself, its a common psychological reaction, unfortunately the negative and unforeseen affects of this will be his players will lose self esteem and confidence as they are exposed to the fact they are not successful, he has also handed a large psychological advantage to the opposition, not sure how he retrieves this situation.

Cry for help will probably backfire!
DC

Added in 13 minutes 45 seconds:
Personal Facebook pages are not the place to provide official club communications!
dannyrvtufc4life wrote:Yes, okay, it's fair play to Nicholson to keep posting on Facebook and addressing certain issues, however, that doesn't cover everything. Firstly, he shouldn't have been appointed, plain and simple. It's not what we needed and it's not what will keep us up, sadly, it's all we could afford, it was the cheap option. At the Fans Forum he promised not to blame the (non-existent) budget and that's exactly what he's doing. I accept the fact we can't afford any decent players, but when we have those who play for Watcombe in a TUFC shirt, he can't be annoyed at the way United fans are reacting. It's depressing to see that that's all we're working with. The players we have at this present moment in time are not good enough and would struggle in the Conference South, this is how low we are. Can we do anything about it, can Nicho do anything about it? Well, a part from actually managing the side, perhaps watching the game in the stands in the first half and receiving experienced help, no, he can't do anything about it. No-one will invest in TUFC, the current board have no money to work with and are facing serious allegations made against them, allegations which haven't even been addressed properly.

This season had all the potential at the start, but we must look at Dean Edwards who gave himself a salaried position as Director of Football instead of paying the current manager and who received a pay-off when he resigned. The finger must be pointed at him when talking about the capitulation of the 2015/2016 season. Forever thankful that he got the consortium together, but he should have never given himself a salaried (pointless) position. When this happened, it was the beginning of the end.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

davidcaldwell123 wrote:Personal Facebook pages are not the place to provide official club communications!
No they certainly are not. In fact at many companies posting this sort of info about the company on Social Media would be a very serious disciplinary matter, I know it would be where I work.

Now this has been picked up by the BBC and we are once again a national laughing stock. :@

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35145282

This is really going to help us to attract new players in January isn't it! =D
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

The problem is he never thought through the exterior implications, I think the post was to personally deflect the attention, in reality the statement bares no reflection on the job at hand and Kevin will learn form experience, we have all made some poor decisions, some have larger implications than others, I personally leave contentious emails in my draft for 3 days, as you tend to find things are resolved and we not as bad as you first thought!
Jerry wrote: No they certainly are not. In fact at many companies posting this sort of info about the company on Social Media would be a very serious disciplinary matter, I know it would be where I work.

Now this has been picked up by the BBC and we are once again a national laughing stock. :@

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35145282

This is really going to help us to attract new players in January isn't it! =D
Magpiegull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Magpiegull »

I have just watched the lunchtime edition of BBC Spotlight where Mr Brent Pilnick was interviewed and said that Kevin Nicholson said in his Facebook entry that many players were way below 'minimum wage'. KN didn't say that. He used the term 'minimal wage' which is somewhat different don't you think. I have spoken with BBC Spotlight and they say that they will amend this inaccuracy in the next edition. We shall see!
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I appreciate what KN is trying to do with the social media but he would do well to take example from Garry Monk, no outbursts just calm and clear messages NOT rambling posts.