alan knill

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Come off it Stefano. The chances of Torquay being in the Western League in 25 years haven't been affected by the sacking of Alan Knill. It is the abject record of Alan Knill this season that may have affected these odds (amongst other, probably more significant, factors, such as the failure to reinvest adequately in the team). His record here thus season was dreadful, shocking and worthy of the sack.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Scott Brehaut wrote:I was against Knills appointment because history had showed that his managerial record was crap.
Nothing more than that - I just didn't see him as a stronger replacement than what we had in the first place.
Yet another "internet fact" Scott?

As SNW (I think?) pointed out, if you ask Rotherham fans, they blame the board for shafting the club after Knill kept them up the first season and in the second, managed to get out of the relegation slots by Christmas, despite a 10 point penalty for administration.
Bury ticked all the boxes for a success.
Scunthorpe were already a basket case when he went there but if you want to class that as a failure fair enough.

Hardly a crap record is it?
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I tend to agree with Sunny. Knill's record overall prior to coming here wasn't too bad, certainly not bad enough to worry me that he couldn't do a job for us but I think Scott is right to say that he didn't look a great improvement on what we already had which was a fully fit Ling.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Sunnysideup wrote: Yet another "internet fact" Scott?

As SNW (I think?) pointed out, if you ask Rotherham fans, they blame the board for shafting the club after Knill kept them up the first season and in the second, managed to get out of the relegation slots by Christmas, despite a 10 point penalty for administration.
scunthorpe were already a basket case when he went there but if you want to class that as a failure fair enough.

In fairness sunny - Scott (and SG) were a couple of the very few who did not agree with letting Ling go and replacing him with AK.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:I tend to agree with Sunny
Thats a first then :na:
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Sunnysideup wrote: Thats a first then :na:
Is it? :na: :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

gullintwoplaces wrote:Come off it Stefano. The chances of Torquay being in the Western League in 25 years haven't been affected by the sacking of Alan Knill. It is the abject record of Alan Knill this season that may have affected these odds (amongst other, probably more significant, factors, such as the failure to reinvest adequately in the team). His record here thus season was dreadful, shocking and worthy of the sack.
Well we have taken the first giant step towards the Western League this season. Only 3 more relegations to go. An historian in 25 years time seeing that Torquay were one point from safety and six points ahead of Northampton after 23 games when the manager was sacked may well conclude, on viewing the way we fell away rapidly after he was sacked and allowed Northampton to shoot past us, that his sacking was the reason we fell out of the Football League.

Who knows? It might be the alternative path to the future McFly. All aboard for the Champions League final in Rome ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Sunnysideup wrote: Yet another "internet fact" Scott?

Scunthorpe were already a basket case when he went there but if you want to class that as a failure fair enough.

Ok, lets look at it this way then:

Rotherham - games in charge: 74. Won 20. Drew 19. Lost 36 (winning % - 27%)
Bury - games in charge: 165. Won 71. Drew 44. Lost 50 (winning % - 43%)
Scunthorpe - games in charge: 78. Won 16. Drew 30. Lost 32 (winning % - 20%)
Us - games in charge: 27. Won 5. Drew 8. Lost 14 (winning % - 18%)

Hardly an inspiring record.

Martin Ling's record was, and is, better than Alan Knills and, therefore, was a weaker replacement.

For those interested, Hargreaves winning % currently is 38% (a marked improvement on Mr Knill)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Sir Alex Ferguson, first 30 games at Man Utd: P30 W11 D10 L9 Pts 43 GD+5 Win 36.66%
David Moyes first 30 games at Man Utd: P30 W18 D6 L6 Pts 60 GD+27 Win 60%

See, David Moyes is a better manager than Alex Ferguson - it's easy this statistics lark.

Matt.

* I've been lazy and counted every match as a league match for the purposes of calculating points. They're equivalent points, if you like, and should be viewed as a comparator rather than in their traditional sense.
In fact, to add to this, Moyes has another stat in his favour, he won a trophy in his first season, where as Fergie didn't.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

ferrarilover wrote:Sir Alex Ferguson, first 30 games at Man Utd: P30 W11 D10 L9 Pts 43 GD+5 Win 36.66%
David Moyes first 30 games at Man Utd: P30 W18 D6 L6 Pts 60 GD+27 Win 60%

See, David Moyes is a better manager than Alex Ferguson - it's easy this statistics lark.

Matt.

* I've been lazy and counted every match as a league match for the purposes of calculating points. They're equivalent points, if you like, and should be viewed as a comparator rather than in their traditional sense.
In fact, to add to this, Moyes has another stat in his favour, he won a trophy in his first season, where as Fergie didn't.
Fair point Matt, Moyes is a decent manager who has been sacked too early. Knill, however, is not that great (judging by his record, which is a tad worse than that of Moyes). If Knill had been Man Utd's manager (let's pretend there are fairies for a moment) then, he would gave been sacked after one month.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Scott Brehaut wrote:I was against Knills appointment because history had showed that his managerial record was crap.
Nothing more than that - I just didn't see him as a stronger replacement than what we had in the first place.
I also felt the same as you. He came to us on the back of hardly winning a game at Scunthorpe.

You can bet your life, had he stayed at Scunny, they would not have gone 29 games unbeaten. 29 without a win, maybe but not unbeaten.
okehampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: ALAN WELSH

Post by okehampton gull »

don't people talk some shit on this site , western league , have any of you lot actually played any football.
and are you really torquay united supporters, a lot of you don't even watch the games and yet have an awful lot to say for yourselves.
go and support those wankers at Plymouth ,and do everyone a favour.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote: :-D It is only for the sake of balance as the Forum resembled Salem at a particularly ignominious section of it's history. That will be the interesting bit in a few years time .... when 'now' is history. Let's hope we can hold on long enough to be able to review it Tomo! I believe in Salem there is now wholesale admission that the persecutors were wrong. Will our history writers in 25 years time reflecting on when Western League Torquay United played in the Football League consider that the dismissal of the manager only half way through the season was the biggest mistake made in the history of the club? Or will we all be purchasing Easyjet tickets to Rome for our third consecutive Champions League final? Who knows. I'm not a betting man, but I have a fair idea how the bookmakers odds would look. ;-)
Oh sod it, sod it, sod it Stefano - I doubt that I will still be around in 25 years' time to say 'I told you you were wrong' ........ In any case, as we're slowly being taken over by bliddy America, in 25 years time the Western League will probably be called the US Pfizer League :@ ;-)
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

okehampton gull wrote:don't people talk some sh*t on this site , western league , have any of you lot actually played any football?
and are you really torquay united supporters, a lot of you don't even watch the games and yet have an awful lot to say for yourselves.
go and support those wankers at Plymouth ,and do everyone a favour.
You surely do not regard everything you read on a football forum as deadly serious? It's supposed to be fun.

I do actually live a lot nearer to Home Park than I do to Plainmoor but I am allergic to green so your suggestion is definitely out!

..... and I have played in the Western League .... for Torquay United ;-)
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

stefano wrote: You surely do not regard everything you read on a football forum as deadly serious? It's supposed to be fun.

I do actually live a lot nearer to Home Park than I do to Plainmoor but I am allergic to green so your suggestion is definitely out!

..... and I have played in the Western League .... for Torquay United ;-)

PS. I see your favourite player is Alan Welsh. Good choice. Naturally gifted. One of my best football memories is overlapping on the right towards the end of a game at Plainmoor to cross for Alan Welsh to head us 2-0 up (the final score) against the Western League champions of that season Glastonbury. One bad memory was at an away game when Alan Welsh was unable to disguise his pleasure that the first team had lost at Plainmoor. Professionals eh! Who'd have 'em? Still he didn't stay long. He did bugger off to Home Park! ;-)