skybet next manager odds

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
huddersfieldgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by huddersfieldgull »

CP Gull wrote: Unfortunately Robbins left Championship side Barnsley through his own choice because he felt the playing budget on offer wasn't competitive enough ... so I somehow doubt what we would be able to offer would satisfy him!

Like I have said on other threads, I think our financial situation dictates that we will end up with a rookie Manager/Head Coach possibly combined witha playing role - but I really hope if we do go down that road that we have an older head to guide him - someone like Bruce Rioch. Now don't get me wrong if Rioch expects the sort of money he has earnt in the past we have no chance in bringing him in BUT if he still has the hunger and desire to be involved at 64 years of age and (hopefully) money isn't a major concern then he would be an excellent choice to guide a rookie.

Alternatively, perhaps we should look at the BSP and consider the likes of Burr(Kiddie), Bogie (Gateshead), Haylock (H&Y) or even Brittain (Bath).

It was a little bit more than just the playing budget that forced Robins out.

Now Buckle has moved on I don't feel the need to say too much about him. That era is finished now and whatever people may think of him he got us back into the league, whether by luck or judgement. Staring the alternative in the face (still being in the BSP) I would take the luck every time. However he did it he was the manager and the record books (and his CV) will always show two trips to Wembley, 2 Playoff finals and a promotion. Any other opinions of the man or his style are now largely redundant. So good luck Paul Buckle, I wonder if the grass really is greener.....

The main focus now is the summer which will shape our season. It really could go any way. We have seen great players here before and a manager with a contact book may be able to convince a few players that the English Riviera is the place to be. Chris Hargreaves is not that manager. Sure he will be cheap, but he is not ready and will ultimately cost us more. Although I am happy to be proved wrong. I dont think any of our former players should be considered. It is not fair on them (and is slightly remeniscent of what Lubos was stitched up with) and it is not fair on us, the fans, who want to keep untarnished memories of their association with the club.

I would take a manager who has had a couple seasons at BSP level or above, who maybe plays nice football, and I would happily settle for any position from 22nd up next season.

Maybe a Plan B? Although I don't agree with those around me moaning about substitutions being too late on Saturday, I would argue they came too soon, although maybe Kee should have gone, but we had the momentum and were on the attack and for me the substitutions were pointless and killed the game.

A couple of decent deals and someone who uses the loan system properly and we could make the playoffs again.

I think I will wait and see what the next month or so reveals.

One thing I will say is that Damien Davey is essential for next season. (or if he leaves i'll take the job lol)
huddersfieldgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Just to clarify when I said "those arround me" when referring to substitutions, I meant the people sitting around me at Old Trafford.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

huddersfieldgull wrote:
It was a little bit more than just the playing budget that forced Robins out.

I'm sure it was, but let's face facts he wouldn't be interested.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Interesting.........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13596363.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You don't think, do you????
huddersfieldgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

CP Gull wrote:
I'm sure it was, but let's face facts he wouldn't be interested.
Of course he wouldn't, I'm surprised he didn't end up at Sheff Utd to be honest but absolutely no chance of him coming to Torquay.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Jeff wrote:Interesting.........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13596363.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They finished 16th? Sounds like he was fired rather than resigned. So yeah, probably our level!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
huddersfieldgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Jeff wrote:Interesting.........

I sure hope not! Don't think it is likely though so I won't be worrying.

Hold on, this is Torquay United......PANIC!

:) :) :)
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

I'm certainly hoping that it's a coincidence, as I'm struggling to see the positives in that appointment.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Fonda wrote: They finished 16th? Sounds like he was fired rather than resigned. So yeah, probably our level!
Hang on a minute, before we write him off ....

To finish 16th in the BSP on average gates of 386 (Yes that's three HUNDRED) was a minor miracle in my book. It represents an excellent achievement and he would be one of the guys in Non League that would certainly interest me if I were in charge of choosing the next Manager.
huddersfieldgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Looking at the team finishing one place below Hayes and Yeading and I am even more thankful we won the Playoff final 2 seasons ago!
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

Theres usually a bit more a play when it comes to the bottom half of the BSP and below than simply attendances and budgets. Locally available talent is a big factor and Hayes and Yeading are in the most populated part of the country.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

He (Haylock) is apparently going to Farnborough anyway.
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

Haylock is going to Farnborough, so that's a non-starter.
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

Isn't it depressing that we even considered that a possibility (no matter how remote) in the first place?
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

I'd love to go down that route personally. Rather that than a washed-up/failed manager.