PLAYERS CONTRACTS FOR NEXT SEASON.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

happytorq wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 14:27 Don't think anybody was crowing about these guys as 'marquee' players. McGavin and Hanson have both been poor, I don't think anybody is disputing that. But in the division below? I think they could do a job - especially since they're both presumably contracted so given our perilous financial situation we're probably not in any kind of position to just pay up their contracts.

Marshall's a liability. Thought he was somebody we needed - basically a big ugly no-nonsence lower league defender in the Guy Branston mould - but he's been culpable too many times. Donnellan is a tough one. he veers from good to abject.

The word you're looking for here is 'mooted'.
So who in your opinion are the so called ‘ Marquee signings ‘ that Johnson was referring to ?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

DevonBee wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 16:08 So who in your opinion are the so called ‘ Marquee signings ‘ that Johnson was referring to ?
He used that phrase not long after the end of the season. My feeling is that there were other players they wanted to get that could conceivably have been considered as 'marquee signings'. It wasn't as if he brought in these 9 players and said "yeah, we have made marquee signings".

of course, it was a daft thing for him to say in the first place.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

happytorq wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 16:17 He used that phrase not long after the end of the season. My feeling is that there were other players they wanted to get that could conceivably have been considered as 'marquee signings'. It wasn't as if he brought in these 9 players and said "yeah, we have made marquee signings".

of course, it was a daft thing for him to say in the first place.
Not so sure it was the end of last season ?
However it was a stupid statement to make, the problem is unfortunately he fails to put his brain in gear before making these comments . A good point gained at Gateshead being another !