Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
oldcommsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldcommsboy »

I think we all owe Ray a vote of thanks for arranging for Paul Cox to come back to Torquay. Undoubtedly this is why he joined the forum. :) :}
Chris
TUST member 479
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

The only time I will be visiting the Torquay area is for a relaxing break over the weekend of February 3.

Ray
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 21:36 What's with all these ghastly anti Barrow e-mails? Regardless, I am reliably informed that Paul Cox will be unveiled as new Torquay manager after Saturday's match. He will be bringing Matt Rhead in on loan with him from Lincoln City.

Ray
Don't think there is any need for people to slag off Barrow, or Ray. They've lost their manager, one they regard highly and their loss will hopefully be our gain. It's easy to mock Barrow and their attendances. I guess if they have spent a generation or two as a non-League club, in a remote location, then they are not going to have built up an enormous following.

Incidentally, Barrow were harshly done by when they lost their league status to Hereford in 1972. Had they not done, then perhaps their subsequent fortunes would have been quite different.

I would be happy with Paul Cox and Ray is serious about Matt Rhead, then that would be amazing but I'd wouldn't believe that until I see it.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 21:36 I am reliably informed that Paul Cox.....will be bringing Matt Rhead in on loan with him from Lincoln City.
The Matt Rhead who has started every game for League 2 Lincoln City this season. Yeah, I bet he's champing at the bit to get down here.
Intheno
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Intheno »

We need a new bus driver !!🚌
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

DevonYellow wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 21:38 Rumours in the Non-League Paper that he is bringing Ray with him too...
Oh god
Lucy
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 21:45 The only time I will be visiting the Torquay area is for a relaxing break over the weekend of February 3. Ray
Good shout, Ray. There will be 6 ins of snow in Barrow at the beginning of February whilst it will be balmy sunshine down 'ere in Deb'n. But how will you be able to relax when your team is getting beat 5 - 0 ???

Actually, I've got a bit of a liking for Barrow. Like Gateshead, they're an old league club that has gone through rough times so as far as I'm concerned, I'm pleased for their fans to see them on the up. I hope whoever takes over there will continue the success that Paul Cox has started. Good Luck Barrow.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

hector wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 21:46 Don't think there is any need for people to slag off Barrow, or Ray. They've lost their manager, one they regard highly and their loss will hopefully be our gain. It's easy to mock Barrow and their attendances. I guess if they have spent a generation or two as a non-League club, in a remote location, then they are not going to have built up an enormous following.

Incidentally, Barrow were harshly done by when they lost their league status to Hereford in 1972. Had they not done, then perhaps their subsequent fortunes would have been quite different.

I would be happy with Paul Cox and Ray is serious about Matt Rhead, then that would be amazing but I'd wouldn't believe that until I see it.
god, some people on here are touchy..... :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Cant imagine Matt Rhead will be coming ! At least it will signal the end for the ice cream man though
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

Rjc70 wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 21:51 The Matt Rhead who has started every game for League 2 Lincoln City this season. Yeah, I bet he's champing at the bit to get down here.
utter bollocks, your are right, RHEAD has played every league 2 game for Lincoln so why would they suddenly farm him out.

not sure regarding Cox joining, worried that yet again he has a history with the club.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 21:06 dry your eyes cock. :rofl:

nailed on to return here - even if he does live in Nottingham. :)
You are a total 'door' knob
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

'cock' is actually a well known affectionate Yorkshire term (often used across the border too in red rose land) and one which those of us born and brought up in Gods own county would know. No malice meant by it.

Me ol' cocker.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Cox knows a good non-league target man when he sees one - I believe it was he who plucked Matt Rhead from Corby (for Mansfield), and signed Richie Bennett last season for Barrow who has since moved into the FL (can't remember who with though).

IF it is Cox who becomes our next manager, hopefully one of the first tasks will be to rid us of the ice cream man and unearth a gem from somewhere to replace him
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I'm not sure how I would view Cox coming back really. If of course it is him. Its looking likely I suppose but if you read up on the reasons he has left Barrow the likelihood is that he would have gone anyway (with or without the Torquay job being on offer)

As for Rhead - well this is another one of Rays wind ups of course, although I would agree with some of the reasoning written above. Rhead is effective at what he does but he is an extremely limited footballer. I'm not sure is a League 2 striker really and I would agree that if Lincoln are planning for promotion I don't think Rhead would be their number one striker.

That said I wouldn't imagine that for one minute we could get near whatever money he is on at Lincoln.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

arrywithanh wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 08:25 utter bollocks, your are right, RHEAD has played every league 2 game for Lincoln so why would they suddenly farm him out.
Far from bollocks; Rhead has a history of knee weakness which has precluded him getting a Football League full-time deal in the past due to insurance issues and I would put him in the 'Lee Phillips' category in that when Phillips was at Torquay he was fit for purpose for the Conference but not for the Football League and was moved on.

I've reason to believe that Cox had been 'fishing' to get him ~ they go back a long way ~ to Barrow but for one reason or another this did not happen and I do believe Rhead's time at Lincoln is coming to an end as they move onwards and upwards and he is 33.

By the way; if you want to get the best out of Rhead you play the ball in to his feet NOT on to his head!
Last edited by merse btpir on 25 Aug 2017, 10:38, edited 2 times in total.