Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Four matches are sat at joint 47th in the list. Here is the first two:

JOINT 47th: Torquay United 3 - 0 Rochdale - 2001/02

8 points, 1 vote

Division 3
1st April 2002
Plainmoor
Attendance: 3136

Torquay:
Kevin Dearden, Sean Hankin, Lee Canoville, Steve Woods, Reuben Hazell, Andrew Martin, Alex Russell, Kevin Hill, Tony Bedeau, Paul Holmes, David Graham. Subs: Jimmy Benefield, David Woozley, Gregory Goodridge, Kenny Griffiths, Ryan Ashford.

Torquay scorers: Tony Bedeau, Lee Canoville, David Graham

Torquay romped to success over promotion chasing Rochdale in this encounter. United were struggling down towards the bottom of the table so this was a big victory. Tony Bedeau got the scoring underway just before half time. Less than 60 seconds after the break, Canoville made it 2-0. David Graham added a third just past the hour, and the points belonged to United. I didn't see this game but I assume someone thoroughly enjoyed their experience!

-----------------------------------

JOINT 47th: Crewe Alexandra 0 - 3 Torquay United - 2011/12

8 points, 1 vote

League 2
Saturday 5th November 2011
Alexandra Stadium
Attendance: 3521

Torquay:
Bobby Olejnik, Joe Oastler, Brian Saah, Mark Ellis, Kevin Nicholson, Damon Lathrope, Lee Mansell, Eunan O'Kane, Danny Stevens, Billy Bodin, Rene Howe. Subs: Taiwo Atieno, Martin Rice, Chris McPhee, Chris Robertson, Lathanial Rowe-Turner

Torquay scorers: Rene Howe, Lee Mansell, Billy Bodin

"This was the most complete performance so far this season" was the way Martin Ling described this mid-season match up. Having recently gone 8 without a win, United won at Crewe to make it 3 wins from 3, with 9 goals scored and 0 against. While the stats paint the picture that this was an even game, I seem to recall that it wasn't. Rene Howe got the scoring underway, before Lee Mansell and Billy Bodin added to it after half time.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 47th: Torquay United 4 - 0 Leeds United - 1954/55

8 points, 1 vote

FA Cup 3rd Round Replay
12th January 1955
Plainmoor
Attendance:

A long time before me, this one. However, we met Leeds in the FA Cup 3rd Round. A 2-2 draw in Yorkshire saw the game go to a replay, and we smashed them 4-0 at Plainmoor. Someone very much enjoyed it as it came third on their list!

------------------

JOINT 47th: Northampton Town 0 - 1 Torquay United - 2003/04

8 points, 1 vote

Division 3
9th August 2003
Sixfields
Attendance: 5675

Torquay:
Arjan van Heusden, Lee Canoville, David Woozley, Craig Taylor, Sean Hankin, Steve Woods, Matt Hockley, Alex Russell, Jason Fowler, Kevin Hill, Jo Kuffour. Subs: Kevin Dearden, Jimmy Benefield, Kevin Wills, David Graham, Lucas Burgess.

Torquay scorer: Jason Fowler

United travelled to Sixfields on the opening day of the 2003/04 season. Northampton, freshly relegated the season before, had spent a lot of money on their squad over the summer and were one of the favourites for an instant return to Division 2. Torquay turned up, held their own and then won through a Jason Fowler goal in the second half. It was a great start to what was a phenomenal season for the club. Annoyingly I was unable to get to this one, but it sticks in the memory as one of our better season openers of recent years!
pnutgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by pnutgull »

The Leeds game was before my time but quite understand why it would feature highly !!

The Northampton game took me back and reminded me of two things. A great start to the season with a professional performance which certainly surprised me and an example of sensible refereeing. The temperature that day was somewhere up into the 30' degrees C and most of the fans were pleased to be in the shade. After about 30 minutes of the first half the referee stopped the game and all the players had a drink and freshen up. Never seen it before or since
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I was at the Northampton game, having travelled over from Cambridge. But I wasn't at the Leeds game! (even before I started supporting Whitby Town). Incidentally we are at home to Buxton today and I shall be going.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

pnutgull wrote:The Leeds game was before my time but quite understand why it would feature highly !!

The Northampton game took me back and reminded me of two things. A great start to the season with a professional performance which certainly surprised me and an example of sensible refereeing. The temperature that day was somewhere up into the 30' degrees C and most of the fans were pleased to be in the shade. After about 30 minutes of the first half the referee stopped the game and all the players had a drink and freshen up. Never seen it before or since
The Northampton game was my first ever away game and was probably the catalyst for turning me from a home game only fan into an 'every day' fan on forums and going to every match possible home and away, even after moving away from the bay. It wasn't in any way planned or expected after only getting the very kind offer of a lift up and back the Friday night before - I really should say a proper thank-you for that!

I can't remember if it was one of my games or not, but I think it probably was. I definitely voted for the Swansea and Yeovil away games that season that have already been mentioned. What a brilliant season that was.

The ref that day was Lee Probert. I remembered his name for the same reason, and also for the fact that it was his first ever football league game after promotion. He soon rose to the Premiership, so as much as referees get stick at every level, those at the top level are there for a reason, just like the players.

Chris
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Northampton v. Torquay 9th August 2003 - Diary entry

Got up at 8. Our en suite was so small that when I bent down over the sink to wash my face and clean my teeth I had to open the sliding door so my bum could stick out. Gave Sue and Kay a lift to New Street railway station. Went back to Bills, chatted in the garden for a couple of hours. Fiona was really drunk last night but she seems to have recovered OK. Took Emily, Sara, Matt and Will to Northampton. It was boiling hot. Torquay beat them 1-0. It was a good game. I think it was the hottest conditions I've seen a game played in the UK. After 20 minute the ref called the players off for a minute to have drinks. Haven't seen that before. There was an amazing incident when Kev Hill's shot hit the post, hit the keeper on the head and landed on top of the crossbar. Great victory for Torquay. The car park was bad to get out of. Made way back in the searing temperatures. Had a bbq at Bills. There was a good waterfight. Paul, Bills mate was a laugh but his wife was a bit moody. said farewells, made way back to Droitwich. Joined up with Kay and Sue who had had a relaxing day in the sun. Had a few wines. Slept on a horrible inflatable bed - or tried to.

I also remember Lee Canaville making a brilliant goal line save when the Northampton forward had a clear open goal. I reckon this is possibly the hottest day that Torquay United have ever played a league game. It was 30+.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Samuel is right. It was very hot.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 43rd: Oxford United 3 - 3 Torquay United - 2007/08

8 points, 2 votes (1+7)

Blue Square Premier
Thursday 11th October 2007
Kassam Stadium
Attendance: 4633

Torquay:
Simon Rayner, Steve Woods, Chris Todd, Kevin Nicholson, Mark Ellis, Chris Hargreaves, Danny Stevens, Lee Mansell, Lee Phillips, Chris Zebroski, Tim Sills. Subs: Martin Rice, Ishmael Welsh, Matt Hockley, Tony Bedeau, Elliot Benyon

Oxford scorers: Eddie Hutchinson, Yemi Odubade (2)
Torquay scorers: Ishmael Welsh, Chris Zebroski, Tim Sills

United travelled to Oxford for a live TV match (good ol' Setanta!) relatively early on in our first season out of the Football League. We had already been on TV once in a 3-1 defeat at Burton, and this match looked like going in a similar way. Oxford were 3-0 up at half time as Eddie Hutchinson first scored, before Yemi Odubade added two more. Paul Buckle made some changes to his side, and substitute Ishmael Welsh got us on the scoresheet just before the hour. With 10 minutes to go, Chris Zebroski scored to make it an edgy ending. 90th minute saw United counter attack and Tim Sills powered home to level the game! True drama. I wasn't there but I remember being incredibly close to turning it off at HT. Certainly one that I wish I had gone to!

------------------------

JOINT 43rd: Leyton Orient 2 - 1 Torquay United

8 points, 2 votes (4+4)

Division 3
Saturday 2nd May 1998
Brisbane Road
Attendance: 6545

Torquay:
Kenny Veysey, Andy Gurney, Paul Gibbs, Jamie Robinson, Jon Gittens, Alex Watson, Gary Clayton, Kevin Hill, Rodney Jack, Andy McFarlane, Steve McCall. Subs: Tony Bedeau, Scott Partridge, Chris Leadbitter

Leyton Orient scorers: Dean Smith, Craig Maskell
Torquay scorer: Andy McFarlane

The final day of the 1997/98 campaign is next up. United travelled to London to face Leyton Orient - I believe a win would have seen the club automatically promoted to Division 2? We were contending with Lincoln for the final automatic promotion spot. The game did not go well. Inside 6 minutes, Orient were ahead through a penalty converted by Dean Smith. Craig Maskell added a second in the 24th minute. United eventually pulled one back with 13 minutes to go, but then all hope of a comeback was ended when goalkeeper Kenny Veysey got sent off in the 86th minute. This result, coupled with Lincoln's victory, meant the Imps enjoyed automatic promotion at our expense.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Remember watching the Oxford game on TV at university. Was really pleased for Tim Sills who had had a bad spell at Oxford but was superb for us. Those Setanta years were brilliant for an exiled Gull.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 41st: Stockport County 0 - 4 Torquay United - 2009/10

9 points, 1 vote

FA Cup 2nd Round
Tuesday 15th December 2009
Moss Rose (Macclesfield)
Attendance: 1690

Torquay:
Scott Bevan, Kieran Charnock, Chris Robertson, Adam Smith, Lee Mansell, Wayne Carlisle, Nicky Wroe, Jake Thomson, Tyrone Thompson, Elliot Benyon, Scott Rendell. Subs: Kevin Nicholson, Danny Stevens, Chris Hargreaves, Tim Sills, Grant Fisher, Saul Halpin, Mark Ellis.

Torquay scorers: Elliot Benyon (3), Scott Rendell

I remember this fixture because of the amount of times it got cancelled before we actually got around to playing it. I'm pretty sure this was the 4th attempt after Edgeley Park was frozen/waterlogged three times prior. It eventually got moved to Macclesfield's ground. Elliot Benyon scored inside 2 minutes. By the 33rd minute it was 3-0 to United as Scott Rendell and Benyon again found the net. Elliot completed his hat-trick in the second half as United comfortably progressed to Round 3, where we lost 0-1 at home to Brighton & Hove Albion.

----------------------------------

JOINT 41st: Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Torquay United - 1956/57

9 points, 1 vote

Division 3 (South)
1st May 1957
Selhurst Park?
Attendance:

I can't find anything for this but I'm pretty sure Stefano mentioned this match earlier on in the thread? It was the final day of the season, but that's all I can tell you..
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Before my time, the Crystal Palace game, but I do know that had we won, we would have been promoted to Division 2, the Championship. As it happened we finished runners-up to Alf Ramseys Ipswich. What a shame. Arguably perhaps in the top 3 as the most important games in our history.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Plymouth Gull wrote:JOINT 47th: Torquay United 4 - 0 Leeds United - 1954/55

8 points, 1 vote

FA Cup 3rd Round Replay
12th January 1955
Plainmoor
Attendance:

A long time before me, this one. However, we met Leeds in the FA Cup 3rd Round. A 2-2 draw in Yorkshire saw the game go to a replay, and we smashed them 4-0 at Plainmoor. Someone very much enjoyed it as it came third on their list!

------------------
Nobody gave Torquay United a chance when they travelled to Elland Road to take on the might of Leeds United in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Leeds were to finish 4th that season in the old 2nd Division (now Championship) missing out on promotion to the top tier by one point, were promoted the following season, and finished 8th in the top tier the season after that. So a big ask for our Division 3 (South) team.

The 28160 crowd in Yorkshire were in for a shock. Two goals from Jack T Smith put Torquay in front, and although Leeds fought back to equalise they were mighty relieved at the final whistle. The Leeds manager admitted that they had underestimated Torquay and said they would not make the same mistake in the reply.

The following Wednesday afternoon (Torquay had no floodlights) 11629 were at Plainmoor to welcome Leeds United. The incomparable Don Mills was our captain for the day against one of his former clubs. The Leeds captain was 'the Gentle Giant' John Charles, who went on to become a hero in Italy with Juventus.

Torquay stormed into an early lead, Leeds were never really in it, and the Devonian upstarts trounced them 4-0.

TORQUAY: Alf Jefferies, Jack V Smith (called John by his team mates to avoid confusion - see later in the team sheet!), Harry Smith, Dennis Lewis, Henry McGuinness, Griff Norman, Ron Shaw, Sam Collins, Harold Dobbie, Don Mills, Jack T Smith.

SCORERS: Collins, Dunn (og), Shaw, Mills.

I am sure nobody would argue that in a thread entitled 'top 100 games' this game should not be in it.

This season also marked the introduction of our yellow and blue team colours, although against Leeds we had reverted to our old black and white strip (Leeds did not play in white at that time).

We went out of the cup in the 4th round with a 1-0 defeat at home to Huddersfield Town (who were one of the top clubs at that time about equivalent to Man City / Arsenal). This game saw our record Plainmoor attendance, 21908 or 21736 - depending which source you read!

Added in 37 minutes 11 seconds:
Plymouth Gull wrote:
JOINT 41st: Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Torquay United - 1956/57

9 points, 1 vote

Division 3 (South)
1st May 1957
Selhurst Park?
Attendance:

I can't find anything for this but I'm pretty sure Stefano mentioned this match earlier on in the thread? It was the final day of the season, but that's all I can tell you..
This was the closest Torquay ever got to the second tier (the only other near misses being in 1966/1967 and 1967/1968). It was a season where Plainmoor was a fortress, with 19 wins and 4 draws in the 23 games. Norwich, Swindon, and Millwall all left Plainmoor having had 7 goals whacked past them.

Only the top team got promoted from Division 3 (South) and going into the final game Torquay were top of the table one point ahead of Ipswich Town (2 points for a win in those days). It was in Torquay's hands. If they matched the Ipswich result then Torquay were promoted.

Both clubs travelled on the final day, Torquay to Crystal Palace and Ipswich to Southampton.

Over 1000 Torquay fans travelled to London for the game, and another 4000 were at Plainmoor where a reserve game was taking place so that they could get news updates of the first team endeavours.

Palace scored first, but Torquay quickly equalised. The ipswich game had kicked off 15 minutes earlier than the game at Palace, so towards the end with the score locked at 1-1 news filtered through that Ipswich had won 2-0. Torquay knew they had to win. They threw everything into attack and they very nearly did win, with Palace full back Jack Edwards (who later became coach and then manager at Torquay) kicking the ball off the line in the very last minute.

So it was not to be and Ipswich Town were promoted above Torquay on goal average (in those days the calculation was to divide the number of goals conceded into the number of goals scored).

Arguably this was the most significant game ever to be played in English football!

5 years later Torquay were in the newly formed Division 4 while Ipswich Town were the Football League champions. Taking Ipswich from Division 3 (South) to be champions of England in just 5 years saw the Ipswich manager Alf Ramsay appointed as manager of England, and he then of course went on to lead England to the one and only World Cup success in 1966.

Would Alf Ramsay have been appointed as manager of England had Torquay won the game at Crystal Palace? Whilst the only correct answer has got to be "Nobody knows", the actual answer is "Probably not"!

TORQUAY: Mervyn Gill, Jack V Smith (John), Henry Smith, Dennis Lewis, Griff Norman, Norman Clarke, Graham Bond, Sam Collins, Jimmy James, Don Mills, Tony Collins.

SCORER: Jimmy James

ATTENDANCE: 22627
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Well done, stefano! I agree that this was probably United's most important match ever. It was, however, before my time but I would very much like to have been there. I didn't see any of the players performing; they all had left by the time I arrived at Plainmoor. However, older codgers than me in the pop. side stand always argue that Don Mills was the best-ever United player, even ahead of Robin.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

As I was still in short trousers I didn't go to the match or to Plainmoor but I was kept informed by my grandfather (who had played for United himself).

Southampton were flying high so, on paper, the win for Ipswich was not a foregone conclusion. However, my understanding is that Southampton fielded a weakened side as they were no longer in with a chance of promotion themselves. Of course Palace were just playing for pride so they had nothing to lose.

Yes, Don Mills was an artist on the ball and one big regret is that I wasn't allowed to go to his testimonial match which was an evening k.o.!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 39th: Torquay United 4 - 0 Stockport County - 2005/06

9 points, 2 votes (2+7)

League 2
Tuesday 25th April 2006
Plainmoor
Attendance: 3565

Torquay:
Andy Marriott, Lee Andrews, Steve Woods, Craig Taylor, Stephen Reed, Kevin Hill, Darren Garner, Danny Hollands, Martin Phillips, Jo Kuffour, Lee Thorpe. Subs: Morike Sako, Matt Hockley, Alan Connell, Matt Villis, Paul Robinson.

Torquay scorers: Lee Thorpe (2), Jo Kuffour, Danny Hollands

Torquay's rout of relegation rivals Stockport played a key role in our great escape under Ian Atkins 10 years ago, and it is the next to feature on this list. United had picked up 3 points against Wrexham 3 days before, but this was the big one that we needed to win to keep ourselves in with a chance. And win we did. Lee Thorpe smashed in an overhead kick inside 4 minutes. He got a second with a powerful header soon after. Jo Kuffour made it 3 with a turn and finish. It was game over by that point, but on loan midfielder Danny Hollands added a fourth with a 20 yard chip in the second half. United went on to survive, and this game played a key role in that.

-------------------------------

JOINT 39th: Kidderminster Harriers 2 - 5 Torquay United - 2007/08

9 points, 2 votes (4+5)

Blue Square Premier
Saturday 22nd September 2007
Aggborough Stadium
Attendance: 2027

Torquay:
Simon Rayner, Paul Hinshelwood, Chris Todd, Mark Ellis, Kevin Nicholson, Tony Bedeau, Matt Hockley, Scott Laird, Tim Sills, Chris Zebroski, Ishmael Welsh. Subs: Lee Phillips, Danny Wring, Kevin Hill, Danny Stevens, Martin Rice.

Kidderminster scorers: James Constable (2)
Torquay scorers: Paul Hinshelwood, Tim Sills, Chris Zebroski (2), Lee Phillips

Ah, this match. I remember it purely for Paul Hinshelwood's goal from inside our half. We travelled to Kiddy in fine form, and this match was our 8th win of the campaign. Hinshelwood scored from around 60 yards - I can't recall HOW it went in but it was a crazy goal! Tim Sills and Chris Zebroski put us 3-0 up at half time, and it was comfortable. Zebroski added his second on the hour, before Kiddy got a consolation. Substitute Lee Phillips made it 5-1 before Constable added his second. A great win, a solid performance and 5 goals - it is no surprise to see this one land on the list.

JOINT 39th: Oldham Athletic 1 - 2 Torquay United - 2004/05

9 points, 2 votes (5+4)

League One
Saturday 23rd April 2005
Boundary Park
Attendance: 8941

Torquay:
Andy Marriott, Matt Hockley, Steve Woods, Craig Taylor, Craig Woodman, Martin Phillips, Darren Garner, Alex Russell, Kevin Hill, Leon Constantine, Bayo Akinfenwa. Subs: Matt Villis, Zema Abbey, Jo Kuffour, Tony Bedeau, Lee Canoville.

Oldham scorer: David Eyres
Torquay scorers: Matt Hockley, Bayo Akinfenwa

Another relegation 6-pointer here, but this one was in our 04/05 League 1 campaign. We travelled to Oldham and both teams were involved in the relegation battle. Oldham had gone 7 unbeaten before we arrived, so it was a tough ask. The hosts took the lead on 25 minutes through David Eyres. Matt Hockley levelled just before half time. 4 minutes after the interval, Akinfenwa put us ahead from a Steve Woods free kick. We held on for 3 valuable points in our fight against the drop. I also remember this match but because it was the coldest I have ever been at a football ground!

JOINT 39th: Exeter City 0 - 1 Torquay United - 2012/13

9 points, 2 votes (7+2)

League 2
Monday 28th January 2013
St. James Park
Attendance: 4824

Torquay:
Michael Poke, Joe Oastler, Aaron Downes, Brian Saah, Kevin Nicholson, Damon Lathrope, Lee Mansell, Nathan Craig, Ryan Jarvis, Billy Bodin, Rene Howe. Subs: Martin Rice, Angus MacDonald, Tom Cruise, Lloyd Macklin, Danny Stevens, Craig Easton, Ashley Yeoman.

Torquay scorer: Rene Howe

Another victory at SJP is next up here. This came in Martin Ling's second season, although Lingy was not actually on the touchline for this one - it was the first game of Shaun Taylor's short period in charge. It was live on Sky - it was a fairly dull game if I recall, but we won thanks to a Rene Howe penalty in the first half. Billy Bodin superbly nutmegged Steve Tully, and Tully pulled him down for the foul. We held on, but this was the last highlight of that campaign, as we slipped dangerously close to the relegation places.