Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

The United-Boro match is mine. What thrills! What glory! And look at that team! Every single one would be in the present side, in fact, none would ever have played in such a lowly division. Imagine Stubbsy and John Smith in the same side. John Bond! Ronnie Barnes! The only player that is missing is the equally great Mark Loram (but who he would replace in this side is very problematic). Oh lost!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Thanks Stefano,

Ah memories!

If I remember correctly, the average gate that season for league matches was just over 7,000 and the following season it was just over 9,000, happy (and busy) days.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

My diary entry for 3rd December 1966 (my 787th day without missing a Torquay home match)

Woke up at half past nine. Went into town. Caught bus up Plainmoor. Richard came as well. Torquay have added four more bulbs on their floodlights. Now have twenty bulbs on each. Torquay beat Middlesbrough two-one. Very good referee although four goals disallowed. Two for Torquay and two for Middlesbrough. Sent away for some more badges. Went to bed at eleven twenty.

Weather:
Morning: Very cold, sunny. No rain.
Afternoon: A queer type of hail. Not exactly hail or snow. Sunny. Grey skies.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper

Post by gateman49 »

And thanks, Samuel, for the diary entry!

I'not sure that I can match all those days without missing a match but I remember only missing one by choice in that period and that was early one season to watch the powerboat race from Cowes to Torquay. In those days it was quite something with lots of entries partly, I assume, because fuel was very cheap and the boats all came into Torquay harbour (there is actually some video footage somewhere out there of one of those races way back then).

I could be wrong and it may be me just trying to justify such a crime but I think we drew 0 - 0 anyway on that day!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Thanks Stef and Samuel!

66th: Torquay United 3 - 0 Oxford United - 2003/04

5 points, 2 votes (2+3)

Division 3
Monday 12th April 2004
Plainmoor
Attendance: 5114

Torquay:
Arjan van Heusden, Reuben Hazell, Steve Woods, Craig Taylor, Brian McGlinchey, Liam Rosenior, Alex Russell, Matt Hockley, Kevin Hill, David Graham, Jo Kuffour. Subs: Dave Woozley, Jason Fowler, Martin Gritton, Tony Bedeau, Kevin Wills

Torquay scorers: Paul Wanless (OG), Reuben Hazell, David Graham

----

This match was really close to making my list, I remember it so well. Easter Monday, both sides were at the top end of the table. We had gone through a patch of just one win in 7 matches before this game, and had lost 2-1 at a David Nugent inspired Bury on Good Friday (I also remember that well!). Our promotion charge was faltering just at the wrong time, and so this match was a must win. Swelled by a large contingent in the away end, over 5000 were at Plainmoor to see Leroy's side blow the U's apart. We absolutely destroyed them. Paul Wanless scored into his own net just after 30 minutes to give United the lead. Things got better as Andy Crosby received a red card just before half time for a professional foul.

The second half continued to improve for United. First Reuben Hazell stormed down the right and shot through the goalie's legs to double the lead - he didn't score many so this was a goal I still remember. David Graham added the gloss with a quarter of an hour to go. This gave United the confidence to push back towards the top 3 - and, well, all who were there for the run-in will remember it!

I'm really glad this match has featured. Oxford were no mugs that season, although an awful end of season run for them saw them drop out of the playoffs.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 65th: Torquay United 4 - 0 Halifax Town - 1998/99

6 points, 1 vote

Division 3
Saturday 6th March 1999
Plainmoor
Attendance: 1715

Torquay:
Neville Southall, Steve Tully, Wes Thomas, Jamie Robinson, Jimmy Aggrey, Jonathan Nichols, Leon Hapgood, Chris Leadbitter, Kevin Hill, Tony Bedeau, O'Neill Donaldson. Subs: M. Jermyn, M. Worthington, M. Forrester

Torquay scorers: Jamie Robinson, O'Neill Donaldson, Kevin Hill, Tony Bedeau.

----

Torquay romped to a comfortable win over Halifax at Plainmoor in 1999, and that is the next to appear here. Torquay were struggling near the foot of the table this campaign, but sent Halifax packing from Plainmoor in a comfortable victory. Defender Jamie Robinson scored just before half time, and the lead was doubled by O'Neill Donaldson straight after half time. Long serving players Tony Bedeau and Kevin Hill scored the third and fourth goals to turn it into a comfortable victory for United. We went on to finish in 20th place, 5 clear of the bottom side, Scarborough.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper

Post by gateman49 »

Just look at the attendances for the last two chosen matches. We play Halifax next week and might expect a similar gate but in a league lower. Although the Oxford match gate was swelled by the fact that it was at Easter, if we can ever get the good times back the crowds will return!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

But not the crowds from our day, Mr. Gateman.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 65th: Torquay United 3 - 2 Macclesfield Town - 1999/2000

6 points, 1 vote

Division 3
Monday 24th April 2000
Plainmoor
Attendance: 2139

Torquay:
S. Jones, P. Holmes, W. Thomas, A. Watson, J. Aggrey, R. Herrera, C. Brandon, B. Healy, K. Hill, T. Bedeau, M. Griffiths. Subs: E. Williams, R. Northmore, M. O'Brien, G. Neil, T. Stocco

Torquay scorers: Tony Bedeau, Brian Healy, Eifion Williams
Macclesfield scorers: John Askey, Paul Ware

-----

Another Easter Monday at Plainmoor is next up. Macclesfield were the visitors towards the tail end of the 1999/00 campaign. The Silkmen scored through John Askey inside 9 minutes. Tony Bedeau equalised 8 minutes later, but Macclesfield were back ahead less than 60 seconds later through Paul Ware. The game remained at 1-2 for a long period, over an hour in fact, before Brian Healy scored with 10 minutes remaining from the penalty spot. Substitute Eifion Williams stepped up to win the game for United with a last minute goal.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The 3-2 Maccy game was mine.

The pitch resembled a bog by the time the game finished. I truly thought the ball was going to get stuck in the mud when Eifion hit it, as it seemed to trundle along the floor, getting slower and slower the closer it got to the goal.

Good game though, and I believe that after this game we had the inaugural "nettists" matches on the pitch. My first, and last, time I'd ever played on the Plainmoor pitch.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 65th: Swansea City 1 - 2 Torquay United - 2003/04

6 points, 1 vote

Division 3
Saturday 7th February 2004
Vetch Field
Attendance: 7323

Torquay:
Kevin Dearden, Lee Canoville, Steve Woods, Craig Taylor, Brian McGlinchey, Matt Hockley, Alex Russell, Jason Fowler, Kevin Hill, David Graham, Martin Gritton. Subs: Arjan van Heusden, Dave Woozley, Jo Kuffour, Tony Bedeau, Reuben Hazell.

Swansea scorer: Kevin Nugent
Torquay scorers: David Graham, Jo Kuffour

----

This was another one that was so close to making my list. A few hundred Gulls made the journey to South Wales more in hope than anticipation. Fortunately the Swans were again without their talismanic forward Lee Trundle, who was injured I think. Both sides were sat in the top 10, with the Gulls inside the playoff positions. It took 18 minutes for the games first goal - through our own talismanic forward, David Graham. It remained that way for over an hour, but eventually United's resistance was broken. Kevin Nugent equalised with 9 minutes of normal time remaining, and it seemed that United had dropped two points. But then, Jo Kuffour arrived. I'm not 100% certain if this is what happened, but I seem to remember a mazy run from the forward before beating the keeper from inside the box. United had bounced back and won the game with 5 minutes to go, a result which kept us in the hunt for promotion.

This was my only ever visit to Swansea and their old Vetch Field. It was no surprise to see them move to a new ground in the next few seasons.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 65th: Torquay United 2 - 1 Accrington Stanley - 2009/10

6 points, 1 vote

League 2
Saturday 27th February 2010
Plainmoor
Attendance: 2503

Torquay:
Scott Bevan, Chris Robertson, Mark Ellis, Guy Branston, Lathanial Rowe-Turner, Lloyd Macklin, Lee Mansell, Nicky Wroe, Chris Zebroski, Ashley Barnes, Elliot Benyon. Subs: Mustapha Carayol, Wayne Carlisle, Tyrone Thompson, Kevin Nicholson, Adam Smith, Danny Stevens, Mike Searle.

Torquay scorers: Lee Mansell, Darren Kempson (OG)
Accrington scorer: Michael Symes

----

This match in late February is next to feature. United were struggling upon their return to the Football League, and went into this fixture with no win in 11 games. We took the lead early in the second half through Mansell, but Michael Symes pegged us back with 20 minutes remaining. A nervy few minutes followed, but the game was won right at the death as Accrington defender Darren Kempson put through his own net. The goal came in the 95th minute, giving Stanley no chance to pull it back, and so United's poor run was over. This win moved us 8 clear of the bottom two, and could be said to be the beginning of the revival that saw us stay in the Football League.

On another note...who on earth is Mike Searle?
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Plymouth Gull wrote:

On another note...who on earth is Mike Searle?
Wasn't he one of the youth keepers for a while?

STIP
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Only attended two of the picks so far.

Hope it gets better.....
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

EmetEdadsBeard wrote:Only attended two of the picks so far.

Hope it gets better.....

Did you put your choices in?

STIP