Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

North Curry House wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 12:50 It is almost over now! So I take it you can not name any, let alone four.
It's November.......
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Cheddargull wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 10:47 I never remember you suggesting 'viable replacements' when you were leading the Harrop and Owers out campaigns on this forum a few years ago.
Old age will do that to you 😉
Dave

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

culmstockgull wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 13:44 As a football club we are anything but normal in that we actively support and encourage a losing formula, we have a chairman and Managing director whose self proclaimed knowledge of football could be written on the back of a postage stamp and still leave room for an address, we have several directors that are totally anonymous other than being wrapped in warm blankets on match days and a management team that would not get their CV's through the door of any football club in the modern age, So why do we continue with this formula, perhaps and realistically because there is no alternative, the one thing you can bet your pension on is that Osborne will have done his sums. Our crowds are down as you would expect even though they are artifically inflated by community freebies, sponsors will be increasingly hard to find, who wants to be associated with a club that is sinking fast.
Can things change, and boy do they need too, any new manager/coach and in this league we do not need two people must be given a realistic time frame to achieve that change, Johnson has proved that he is incapable of modern thinking or even changing his one dimensional playing style, he has shown systematically this season and last that he cannot acquire players sufficently qualified for this league. We are already two wins and a draw away from getting out of the bottom four and thats assuming no one else picks up a single point .
So on this occasion Southampton Gull I disagree with your stick option.
excellent posting......Summing up exactly what is wrong with Torquay United...it stems from the very top. The Invisible men.
Who are not only not seen, but also not heard, as they simply have nothing to say on this seasons debacle, and still they trust Johnson and Downes
Disgraceful ....it could only happen here.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

In the Torquay Talk poll on should he stay or should he go ?
71.8 % voted Johnson OUT........the time is NOW
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

DevonBee wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 16:00 excellent posting......Summing up exactly what is wrong with Torquay United...it stems from the very top. The Invisible men.
Who are not only not seen, but also not heard, as they simply have nothing to say on this seasons debacle, and still they trust Johnson and Downes
Disgraceful ....it could only happen here.
What would you prefer invisible men who give the manager freedom to do whatever he pleases and bank roll the club or the types who think they know all about football and have a head coach instead of a manager and control all the signings?

What is there to say which adds value? Who's to say that any other credible replacement for Gary Johnson doesnt want it?

Unless you are announcing a new manager there's nothing for the ownee/board to say which would be of any value/benefit.

I dont know what is so disgraceful tbh. Unless you think that them coming out and blaming the Johnson's and Downes will help.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

DevonBee wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 16:04 In the Torquay Talk poll on should he stay or should he go ?
71.8 % voted Johnson OUT........the time is NOW
The time to act was 2 months ago probably after Wrexham. I feel we have left it too late now for any new manager to come in and change our season. We have wasted 11 games since then, many of which on paper were winnable. Who would now want the job and likely have relegation on their CV. They would be taking over a disjointed squad where the only quality is from loanees.

I’m starting to think we have to hope GJ can somehow drag us out of this mess this season and we make a change for next season. That would need to come with a complete rebuild of how the club is run and hopefully a young forward thinking manager.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Chelston TUFC wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 17:21 What would you prefer invisible men who give the manager freedom to do whatever he pleases and bank roll the club or the types who think they know all about football and have a head coach instead of a manager and control all the signings?

What is there to say which adds value? Who's to say that any other credible replacement for Gary Johnson doesnt want it?

Unless you are announcing a new manager there's nothing for the ownee/board to say which would be of any value/benefit.

I dont know what is so disgraceful tbh. Unless you think that them coming out and blaming the Johnson's and Downes will help.
Invisible......well they have given him the freedom on the signings.....look what he has brought to the club !
Your opinion, on the silence......well they can either back him or sack him, they can say something I would have thought
It is what happens with other owners of clubs...silence seems golden its pathetic
Disgraceful.....well 71.8% want him out so can only assume you are with the 28.2% brigade.....commonly known as the minority.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

thebigp1 wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 17:26 The time to act was 2 months ago probably after Wrexham. I feel we have left it too late now for any new manager to come in and change our season. We have wasted 11 games since then, many of which on paper were winnable. Who would now want the job and likely have relegation on their CV. They would be taking over a disjointed squad where the only quality is from loanees.

I’m starting to think we have to hope GJ can somehow drag us out of this mess this season and we make a change for next season. That would need to come with a complete rebuild of how the club is run and hopefully a young forward thinking manager.

You are right the bigp1 anywhere else and with people who can make Big decisions and he would be down the Jobcentre.
Another month after month goes by with no change, winnable games lost, suicide defending, further loans.
Maybe he will drag us out of this mess, but what if he doesn't ?
One things for sure if he escapes a sacking , his contract should not be renewed....so he won't be here next season.
If no change he has taken us from NLS and he will take us back there...... :}
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Cheddargull wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 13:27 During Owers time in this division we achieved 1.08 points per game.
So far this season we have achieved 0.71 points per game.
That is how bad things are at present and a lot of people can't see it getting any better. Talk of things getting better with a couple of signings are nonsense, we already have too many loan signings which a sign of how bad the original permanent signings were.
To be honest if you were Osborne would you trust Johnson with anymore money?
That is shocking stats...I wonder how many people realise this , I certainly didn't
It really shows how far we have fallen.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

DevonBee wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 17:56 Invisible......well they have given him the freedom on the signings.....look what he has brought to the club !
Your opinion, on the silence......well they can either back him or sack him, they can say something I would have thought
It is what happens with other owners of clubs...silence seems golden its pathetic
Disgraceful.....well 71.8% want him out so can only assume you are with the 28.2% brigade.....commonly known as the minority.
You're assuming wrong....you need to read what Ive put. You can call for a manager to be sacked but without a replacement then you are shooting yourself in the foot. I'm in the 71.8% and think that there are decent alternatives out there (Tisdale, Wotton, Bartlett). There's a pragmatic group that sit across the 71.8% and the 28.2% that have the same question....if not GJ who?
The 28.2% (of which I'm not in) have a good % of pragmatists....there's no better alternative and GJ is better than no one. Its more complex that back or sack and the 28.2% may be practically correct. There's what you should do versus what you could do and what you would do. So as you're in the 71.8% that would sack.....who's your next realistic manager?
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Pragmatists...I am sorry I thought Countdown Had finished earlier !!!! was that the connundrum ?

Most clubs when they are considering a change, when the writing is on the wall, and a change is needed actually have a plan.
We clearly don't as was illustrated with the time it took to get Johnson in........There is no plan.
Yeovil up the road, made a change with Cooper he was appointed days after Hargreaves was sacked. They had a plan, and results since that change
have seen things improve.

It is not up to supporters on a forum to have a wish list of suggestions for potential managers, however if a change was made I am sure there would be many applicants. Tisdale, Wooton, Bartlett have been mentioned. Warnock on a 6 month to save us from relegation might not be a long term
solution, but Johnson on his 6 months to go and try and save us is a poorer one in my opinion.
As was said earlier from his recent summer buys.....would you trust him with further wasteful buys ??????
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

71%? Claptrap.
Most people on here are the moaners and groaners and if 71% of them think GJ out, it's hardly convincing.

Keep Faith in Gary. Support the team!
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

71% hardly convincing ...do me a favour...Lol

Always support the team, it is the reason I buy my season ticket, however 3 wins in 21 it is becoming very difficult .
Gj says it is the entertainment business .......not feeling entertained much tbh.
Like many I expected better this season, especially with the so called Marquee Signings....and judge after 10 games, see where we are.
It is game 21 toastkid....the league table does not lie...neither does the 71% who voted OUT
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Whatever happens, whether we stay or or go down. Whether Gary's gone now or in years to come. I for one will always hold him in the highest esteem and in my lifetime, behind only Leroy in giving me the most enjoyable football and teams to watch. The NLS year was awesome and the Ashton Gate year quote simply got me through the depression of covid and lock down. I can't be alone in that.

I implore everyone to remember the state of the club when he came in and how, but for horrible luck with injuries, we'd have been back in the league. He's conducted himself openly and with professionalism of the like we've not had for many years.

Okay, it may well be time for a change (personally I'm not quite there yet but respect those who do). But, please please think twice before throwing around unnecessarily personal insults and attacks on the man (and Aaron). He's not defrauded us. He's not lied to us. He's given his all from day one and will be hurting as much as any of us.

Let's keep perspective and maintain a level of respect and civility that Gary's 'glory years' deserve.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

knightmaregull wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 02:23 Whatever happens, whether we stay or or go down. Whether Gary's gone now or in years to come. I for one will always hold him in the highest esteem and in my lifetime, behind only Leroy in giving me the most enjoyable football and teams to watch. The NLS year was awesome and the Ashton Gate year quote simply got me through the depression of covid and lock down. I can't be alone in that.

I implore everyone to remember the state of the club when he came in and how, but for horrible luck with injuries, we'd have been back in the league. He's conducted himself openly and with professionalism of the like we've not had for many years.

Okay, it may well be time for a change (personally I'm not quite there yet but respect those who do). But, please please think twice before throwing around unnecessarily personal insults and attacks on the man (and Aaron). He's not defrauded us. He's not lied to us. He's given his all from day one and will be hurting as much as any of us.

Let's keep perspective and maintain a level of respect and civility that Gary's 'glory years' deserve.
:goodpost:
Dave