Chester FC v Torquay United

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I remember he went to sell cars, something Speiss is already doing.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

I was very disappointed in today's result we have hit the lowest point of the season I am not one to call for Nicos head as I know he has been in a poor position to start with however I go back to the beginning of the season when Cox was manager we played some good football at times and were unlucky with results but when Nico came in and the team suffered the injuries we have he has struggled I understand that at times he has had to play players out of position but please for god sake try to get back to as much as possible the team that started the 1st 3 games in the same positions as we performed a lot better than we have in the last 8 games or so IMO COYY
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

I'm not going to get involved in the "Nicho out" stuff but having watched today's game, he is an absolute liability on the pitch. We must have had the slowest left hand side of any "professional" football team in history today, with Briscoe in front of him.

Chester had it so easy on their right flank. Every attack, every goal they scored, every chance they created was down their right hand side. Their right back was made to look an absolute world beater today. It's so easy for our opposition manager to see where we are shite and focus their attacks down our left coz Nicho can't run.

The first goal after 10 seconds was his fault.

The second goal, whilst it was a good strike, was his fault.

It was embarrassing to watch.

Please Kev, PLEASE, hang up the boots.

Some positives;

Butler played great in centre mid. Good player.

Heslop is a much better right back than CM.

Verma isn't bad.

We scored a very lucky goal. It was 100% a cross that the wind blew in the top corner. Perhaps that's our one and only bit of luck used up!

The negatives are endless and obvious but the thing that annoyed me most was the 2nd half substitution of Fisher. We're 3-0 down and we replace a striker with a centre half. WTF? Fisher was not obviously injured and was running about quite happily before he got subbed. Really don't get it.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

There's a surprise then! Teams have sused us out that we are weak on our left side! Like we were a few seasons ago when someone else was at left back, hang on a min it wasn't it was the same guy! Well I'll be jiggered! Fancy that! Can't defend, can't run, can't take decent corner or free kick, can't manage, couldn't run a bath!
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

Burnhamgull wrote:Maybe Speiss has gone to sell houses with Jordan Seabright...(remember him?).
He's actually signed for Alfreton Town!

http://www.alfretontownfc.com/news/FORM ... N-2993.htm
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

What a great game for a Torquay fan, watching a hard battle being won with superb interplay and 3 goals between Rodney Jack and Jason Roberts.

WAIT! It was all a dream, I was sat in the same seat but had daydreamed myself back to 1997/98 season. But now I have woken up into a real life nightmare. Opposition waltz through to score in first minute, hit the post a few minutes later, being quicker to every ball than Torquay. Chester are a good team, as exemplified by a further 2 goals, but we are not passing quickly enough, accurately enough, we are slower and we are not organised - all the basic attributions for a decent football team are missing.

Injuries may not be helping us, but why was Shepherd so rubbish? Why are our substitutes so slow? Why no determination? Oddly enough, after the break Chester gave us enough half-chances to make a game of it. Our goal was a cross blown in by the wind, but following that, finishing was abysmal. A clear header with the goalie to beat was headed - wide, of course!. This could easily have been 7-0

Yep, a nightmare game, no real positives on the pitch, and I will just let myself drift off back to 1997/98 to see some good stuff from the Gulls. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Tarrboy1 wrote:I'm not going to get involved in the "Nicho out" stuff but having watched today's game, he is an absolute liability on the pitch. We must have had the slowest left hand side of any "professional" football team in history today, with Briscoe in front of him.

Chester had it so easy on their right flank. Every attack, every goal they scored, every chance they created was down their right hand side. Their right back was made to look an absolute world beater today. It's so easy for our opposition manager to see where we are shite and focus their attacks down our left coz Nicho can't run.

The first goal after 10 seconds was his fault.

The second goal, whilst it was a good strike, was his fault.

It was embarrassing to watch.

Please Kev, PLEASE, hang up the boots.

Some positives;

Butler played great in centre mid. Good player.

Heslop is a much better right back than CM.

Verma isn't bad.

We scored a very lucky goal. It was 100% a cross that the wind blew in the top corner. Perhaps that's our one and only bit of luck used up!

The negatives are endless and obvious but the thing that annoyed me most was the 2nd half substitution of Fisher. We're 3-0 down and we replace a striker with a centre half. WTF? Fisher was not obviously injured and was running about quite happily before he got subbed. Really don't get it.
When you are a manager you learn from mistakes if you look back at my posts you will see that I felt even though we won last week against Chesham I would not play with Briscoe in a wide position against a better side as Nicho needs protecting and in all fairness Nicho has done ok when Butlers been in front of him.
We should have been tight right from the kick-off against the wind and perhaps had an anchor man in the centre of midfield as it is to lightweight.
Briscoe is a good player but is not fit enough in these conditions especially wide. Nicho is very restricted with who he plays in midfield after the recent injuries but with Butler moving it's left us vulnerable down the left side. Verma like you said has done ok but we need to play another player in there in those conditions maybe going 4-1-4-1 and changing it with the wind. I doubt if this was even talked about.

It's a very bad practice to play local players that are not good enough in a losing side if we were winning every week and there was a chance to give a player a chance fair enough, but at the moment the club is not looking very professional and a player that we might want may reject the club because of this in the future, if there is one.

I have not seen or heard the chairman come out to protect Nicho perhaps to tell us that we can't afford to do anything other than what we are doing regard to players. To allow Spiess to go who some say was under contract was very unprofessional and because we don't know anything we tend to guess.
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Have to agree with you Arcadia why did Nico not play Carmichael from the start in c mid then Butler could have played in front of Nico and I feel we would have had a better balance in the team and been stronger down our left with Butler being able to help Nico out.
Yellow-Collins
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellow-Collins »

Have to agree. Carmichael in midfield and Butler on the left would have had more balance. Also, where was Sean Finch yesterday? Surely Ben Gerring was not selected as our only attacking option.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Yellow-Collins wrote:Have to agree. Carmichael in midfield and Butler on the left would have had more balance. Also, where was Sean Finch yesterday? Surely Ben Gerring was not selected as our only attacking option.

Finch should stick to what he's good at a big fish in a small pond and once he stepped up he was lost all at sea. If the club carries on like it's going, we will be part-time as we cannot carry players at this level. If he's not committed then he should not be considered.