Can We Make the Play Offs?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 23:20 With regards to Omar mentioned above. Although not the finished article he has improved. Surely the best thing now that we are not going to get relegated is to start him in every game until the end of the season and see how he progresses, then decide what to do. Forget the play-offs, we're not going to get there, the club and Johnson just keep plugging it to get the fans turning up until the end of the season.
We certainly won’t if we treat the rest of the season as an extended pre-season..
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Olaf?
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Gary and the club are saying the right things about making the play odds, as mathematically we still can. Rightly so that they do, until we can't, therefore we can't use this period at a trail.

The club will be receiving feedback on the loan players, all of who are playing in league below us for a season. Some are still young and have promise. Other, I think we know. . .

Ali Omar is to me a great back up centre back. I love the guy, his passion and celebration.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 23:20 With regards to Omar mentioned above. Although not the finished article he has improved. Surely the best thing now that we are not going to get relegated is to start him in every game until the end of the season and see how he progresses, then decide what to do. Forget the play-offs, we're not going to get there, the club and Johnson just keep plugging it to get the fans turning up until the end of the season.
I think as long as we're mathematically able to make the play-offs, we should be working on the assumption that that's what we're going for. If we get to a point where we're 13 points outside the zone with 4 games to play - that's when we experiment. Pre-season is there for a reason, and if the club are able to put together a comprehensive schedule of fixtures, there's no reason Omar couldn't be assessed there.
Assuming Ali Omar is on a 2 year contract, he'll be here next season anyway, and pre-season would be the perfect time to see where he is in his development. I hope he can progress because it's obvious he loves being a footballer, and...I dunno, it's just nice that he cares so much. Football is a brutal game at times, so I'd like it if just once the system can forego the inevitable chewing up and spitting out of players.

Part of me thinks Omar may eventually move forward into the midfield anyway. Currently his main issue is a lack of positioning, which quickly gets found out at centre-half. He had a brief cameo in midfield earlier in the season, and I saw enough there to suggest it might be something worth looking at further.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

happytorq wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 15:19 I think as long as we're mathematically able to make the play-offs, we should be working on the assumption that that's what we're going for. If we get to a point where we're 13 points outside the zone with 4 games to play - that's when we experiment. Pre-season is there for a reason, and if the club are able to put together a comprehensive schedule of fixtures, there's no reason Omar couldn't be assessed there.
Assuming Ali Omar is on a 2 year contract, he'll be here next season anyway, and pre-season would be the perfect time to see where he is in his development. I hope he can progress because it's obvious he loves being a footballer, and...I dunno, it's just nice that he cares so much. Football is a brutal game at times, so I'd like it if just once the system can forego the inevitable chewing up and spitting out of players.

Part of me thinks Omar may eventually move forward into the midfield anyway. Currently his main issue is a lack of positioning, which quickly gets found out at centre-half. He had a brief cameo in midfield earlier in the season, and I saw enough there to suggest it might be something worth looking at further.
He was a good player for Barnsley U23's - saw him many times as my mates son still plays for them.
Think he needs to be cut some slack having come from that area to full time pro in the NL - remember Gus Mc anyone???
Sure Ali will improve all the time hes in the team.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Good point about Angus Macdonald , he came on leaps and bounds after a very dodgy first season or two. Omar could do the same.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

CB is a ruthless position for any young footballer. You don’t tend to get chucked on for the last 5 minutes like young strikers do at bigger clubs, often without any pressure. There’s a player in him, give him time. He loves the club
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

Admiral got it right!
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

In the news yesterday, "Notts County head coach Ian Burchnall says captain Kyle Cameron will not be back "anytime soon" as the defender's hamstring problem is worse than first anticipated."

It's a shame for the lad, and a shame for the match on 09APR insomuch that we'll not get to 'welcome' him back to Plainmoor.

That said, they've been a worse team without him (much as we were last year when we faded), and so it gives us a better chance of 3 points.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Let us hope that we do not have to add Johnson to the list of those we wish to keep. Yeovil have chosen not to appoint until the end of the season after Sarll took the woking job, he knows the club, its a 20 minute commute to his home add I reckon they have a bigger budget.
Griff1n
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Danis Salman

Post by Griff1n »

20 minute commute….I don’t think so !!!
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

Where does he live anyway? Cheltenham?
Griff1n
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Danis Salman

Post by Griff1n »

Believe he lives at Portishead
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Grimsby 3.1 up at Chesterfield. Not a good result for us if they win.
We really need Borehamwood to fail to beat Woking at 5.20 as they are Grimsby are probably the most important to drop points if we are going to have a chance of the play offs.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

It Notts we’re after really, so not a good result. If BW drop points that’ll be significant with all their games in hand, let’s hope so..