Our Final 9 Games. Can we avoid Relegation.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Jerry wrote: This is precisely the attitude we don't need.

How many times has a team clawed back a large deficit and then subconsciously taken the foot off the gas, thinking the job is done, and slipped back into trouble?

We've done nothing yet.
:clap:

Good old Torquay fans. Slate negativity until the cows come home and get some positivity (however misguided) and get slated. :lol:

Magic.

So now it seems a positive outlook ISN'T needed after all and you should go to the games with trepidation and doubt and let that fear rub off on the place like it has done for the past 4 years.

The 'this is Torquay and anything can happen' attitude has to stop ladies and gents. A few months back you were about 12 points adrift and marooned. Now you have the momentum and should comfortably stay up. It's all there for you to see. Caution yes but ffs, you've just turned around a 12 point bloody deficit! How is it still not possible to believe safety is in the bag after that?!! If you take your foot off the gas then me saying you're safe doesn't even matter anyway as my comments don't determine any results.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Yorkieandy wrote: ....... as my comments don't determine any results.
Good...... ;-)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Or it could be said that some of us have a positive outlook but remain realistic and grateful to those responsible for getting us back in touch with teams that were once a long way above us ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

It's not the case of being slated because of your misguided assumption, it's taking each game as it comes, to try and keep winning/drawing games and maintaining our clean sheet run. This sort of plan has worked very well for an East Midlands side this season. Of course no-one is denying the fact that we have done incredibly well and Kevin Nicholson should be given a knighthood if we manage to stay up, but there is a long way to go with some tough games. It's very easy to say we're safe when you're not a supporter of the football club.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

stefano wrote: Good...... ;-)
Stay lucky ;-)

Added in 21 minutes 42 seconds:
dannyrvtufc4life wrote:It's not the case of being slated because of your misguided assumption, it's taking each game as it comes, to try and keep winning/drawing games and maintaining our clean sheet run. This sort of plan has worked very well for an East Midlands side this season. Of course no-one is denying the fact that we have done incredibly well and Kevin Nicholson should be given a knighthood if we manage to stay up, but there is a long way to go with some tough games. It's very easy to say we're safe when you're not a supporter of the football club.
Fair points sensibly and respectfully made Danny.

The last sentence I've no problem with because I agree 100%.

Keep drumming mate. Your love of the club is something I could never hope to emulate. :-D

Added in 7 minutes 18 seconds:
Southampton Gull wrote:Or it could be said that some of us have a positive outlook but remain realistic and grateful to those responsible for getting us back in touch with teams that were once a long way above us ;-)

Agree Dave. Point made again, in a sensible and non provoking, inflammatory way.

I just think that contrary to Jerry, the hard work IS done. Most had the club written off out of existence a few months back and it looked that way. Now just steady accumulation of points and it's actually miracle completed. I just think everyone should go all out with their attitude to really believe and feel no fear now. Again, like Danny says, it's easy to request this when I have no input myself but it's just my opinion as a public forum facilitates.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote:Or it could be said that some of us have a positive outlook but remain realistic and grateful to those responsible for getting us back in touch with teams that were once a long way above us ;-)
Totally agree Dave.
And the thing is now it's actually in our own hands - unlike a few weeks ago.
The attitude of the team is spot on. They just need to keep at it.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I want us to stay up as much as anyone but especially for the current board if and when they hand over the reigns of the club to the prospective new owner. They can then be fairly judged as to whether they were successful in saving the club and doing the best they possibly could for it. Personally, they will always have my gratitude and support for the decisions they made. The losses were checked, we were leaking money like a sieve. They were dealt surprising setbacks which they dealt with honourably. They stood firm behind their decision to appoint Nicholson and have backed him in the search for better suited players and now they are almost done in their promise to hand the club over to people better able to take the club forward. Survival would be the icing on the cake for them, I truly hope fans get to see the day when we can thank them for the fantastic job they did for us.
Dave

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote:I want us to stay up as much as anyone but especially for the current board if and when they hand over the reigns of the club to the prospective new owner. They can then be fairly judged as to whether they were successful in saving the club and doing the best they possibly could for it. Personally, they will always have my gratitude and support for the decisions they made. The losses were checked, we were leaking money like a sieve. They were dealt surprising setbacks which they dealt with honourably. They stood firm behind their decision to appoint Nicholson and have backed him in the search for better suited players and now they are almost done in their promise to hand the club over to people better able to take the club forward. Survival would be the icing on the cake for them, I truly hope fans get to see the day when we can thank them for the fantastic job they did for us.
Bang on again Dave.

With regard to the last line of your post, for me and the other Northern based Gulls, I hope that's at Guiseley.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Totally agree with Dave/SG. But Guiseley will be a celebration game. We'll be safe long before we play them. :-D
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't see any games that are left as being that difficult because its a really crap league to be fair. We are on a good run so long gone are the days where we should be going into any games expecting to get beat. Tough game at Dover maybe but should we be quaking at facing the mighty Eastleigh at home?
Can't see it myself - they are fecking rubbish. Overpaid and overhyped - How did they get on today? - Oh yes failed to beat the mighty Welling Utd at home (who incidentally played nearly all the game with ten men)

Then there is Gateshead - Stuffed 3-0 on their own ground today by Macclesfield who we have beaten about sixteen times already this season. There is nothing much to fear amongst this rabble.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I hope you turn out to be correct and I'm happy to see you back in a positive frame of mind ;-)
Dave

Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Being very bored at work this week, I'd been running my eye over the league tables and some interesting stats popped out that could give us cause for optimism in our battle to stay up.

Eastleigh's playoff push has been derailed by some recent atrocious away form: 5 defeats and 1 draw from their last 6 on the road. Hopefully that poor run can continue on Monday.

Gateshead's own promotion challenge is hampered by poor home form. They have the 4th best away record, but only the 13th best at home (and likely lower than that after today). We are one of very few teams with a better away record than home, and of course we go to their place next weekend.

Of our remaining games at the LWS, we play 3 of the bottom 5 in the "away table" - Barrow (20th), Chester (21st) and Altrincham (joint 23rd or joint last, depending how you look at it!)

Still a lot of work to be done, but from what I've seen from our side now we have the quality to take 11 points from the above fixtures as long as we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Hell yes we can beat relegation and i'd say that at this moment in time, it is more than likely. I don't think we should fear anyone we play now. Just look at Braintree beating Cheltenham last week. We shut them out without too much trouble.

It's not a done deal though and we will be punished for complacency. Can't see Nicho allowing that though. Looking forward to the end of the season and the completion of perhaps one of our greatest of great escapes.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

In the position going we are in going to Dover we've got to keep it tight and a point would be great a win would be magic. :keepie:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This weekend could be massive for us. With Boreham Wood already losing today, they then play Dover at home Monday I believe, and Altrincham play Halifax tomorrow, they both can't win obviously, so 4 points could leave us in a very good position, Dover away is going to be tough, but no reason why our team can't beat Eastliegh at home, should have beaten them up there after being 3.0 down.

Our last two home performances have been poor generally, but the team still got results which says a lot about their character, I think this was largely down to how Halifax and Southport both approached those games, both played spoiling tactics the polite way to describe it, Dover and Eastliegh will not be playing in such a manner, which should give us more freedom to play.

Yes we some very winnable games, but some real difficult games in there as well, the team can't afford a confidence damaging winless run either, keep up the improvements in our defending, and get a little more ruthless in front of goal and I see no reason why the team can't secure more than enough points to stay up.
Formerly known as forevertufc