Time to get behind the club

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

JamieE wrote:I've only been to one game this season and that was at Eastleigh. Since then the manager, the assistant, the DOF and our top scorer have all left. To be honest, I've watched it all happen from afar with a sinking feeling that nothing I can do will be able to help stop a football club I love on a downward spiral.

I'm probably hugely naive but the statements today from the board and the manager have given me some sort of renewed hope. They've remind me that we have men in charge at the moment that won't let this club die and they have its best interests at heart. They're clearly very wary of any investors and their intentions and I'm happy to trust the current board in that regards. They say we have funds for January and bringing in players, so I'm satisfied that we are financially stable, for now. I think it's time to focus on the football.

As for the football staff, I'm clearly in the minority when I say I'm backing Nicholson for the job. When he speaks he says all the right things, I have felt uplifted about the situation after all of his interviews. Right now, things aren't going right on the pitch but there have been problems off the pitch he has had to deal with and the group of players he has inherited are not good enough. I personally am willing to let Nicholson bring players in and ship the ones out that aren't up for the fight; he has clearly identified who they are. I back him to lead a group of his own men into a fight and come out victorious.

For a few seasons now it's felt like football has come second to what's going on in the boardroom. The statements feel like the club have finally realised the situation and football will finally be coming first. That's all I have been asking for for months now and I will certainly be heading down to Plainmoor in the next few weeks. I'm sure there are more fans like myself reading these forums and I hope they feel the same.

You've only seen us play once this season? You don't know how lucky you are mate!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Yes - a good post from Jamie but I have two quibbles - (1) for all the good words about the Board, they have not delivered on the promised transparency. In fact, during the past couple of months there has been a deafening silence (2) some experience in the team is what we badly need, but where are these experienced players coming from ? Nicholson has been promised some 'players budget' money but it's obvious that it won't be very much.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Come back to me once the transfer merry-go-round is over and you'll be able to answer your own question. It helps to realise the reasons behind recent signings which are emergency cover while we're restricted by the transfer window being closed and not a sign that we're deliberately trying to get relegated.

Ajala is almost a done deal, Kadell Daniel is another we're interested in, I'd have more faith in players like that than some of the recent departures
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

JamieE wrote:I've only been to one game this season and that was at Eastleigh. Since then the manager, the assistant, the DOF and our top scorer have all left. To be honest, I've watched it all happen from afar with a sinking feeling that nothing I can do will be able to help stop a football club I love on a downward spiral.

I'm probably hugely naive but the statements today from the board and the manager have given me some sort of renewed hope. They've reminded me that we have men in charge at the moment that won't let this club die and they have its best interests at heart. They're clearly very wary of any investors and their intentions and I'm happy to trust the current board in that regards. They say we have funds for January and bringing in players, so I'm satisfied that we are financially stable, for now. I think it's time to focus on the football.

As for the football staff, I'm clearly in the minority when I say I'm backing Nicholson for the job. When he speaks he says all the right things, I have felt uplifted about the situation after all of his interviews. Right now, things aren't going right on the pitch but there have been problems off the pitch he has had to deal with and the group of players he has inherited are not good enough. I personally am willing to let Nicholson bring players in and ship the ones out that aren't up for the fight; he has clearly identified who they are. I back him to lead a group of his own men into a fight and come out victorious.

For a few seasons now it's felt like football has come second to what's going on in the boardroom. The statements feel like the club have finally realised the situation and football will finally be coming first. That's all I have been asking for for months now and I will certainly be heading down to Plainmoor in the next few weeks. I'm sure there are more fans like myself reading these forums and I hope they feel the same.
Very :goodpost: . I concur with all that Jamie.

I too have renewed hope following today's statement from the board. Knowing that we have a few quid to spend in January, let's hope the right (experienced) players are identified and signed up to enable us to start climbing the table.

If what Dave has said regarding Ajala and Daniels comes to fruition, this is big step in the right direction.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

It would seem that with Ajala and Daniel, Nicholson is raiding Hargreaves' contacts book. The money wasted sacking Hargreaves in the first place could have been put to better use with the playing squad.

There were no grounds for appointing Nicholson, and neither are there for keeping him, other than financial. Most people's view that this will turnaround is based on futile emotional responses like #COYY #Keepthefaith because there is no substance to any logical reason for an unqualified coach sniffing around the local leagues keeping us from relegation in this god=awful embarrassment of a league.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Southampton Gull wrote:Come back to me once the transfer merry-go-round is over and you'll be able to answer your own question. It helps to realise the reasons behind recent signings which are emergency cover while we're restricted by the transfer window being closed and not a sign that we're deliberately trying to get relegated.

Ajala is almost a done deal, Kadell Daniel is another we're interested in, I'd have more faith in players like that than some of the recent departures
any other transfer news SG?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Nothing else I can post but the others I've heard are interesting us will definitely improve our chances. We'll all have to be patient now and let things unfold.
Dave

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Hi Dave. I know you only have the clubs interests at heart. But in mentioning names. would it not be better to hang back with names until their signed. confidentiality is paramount to stop other clubs from poaching. alert a club to someones obvious freedom to sign might just prejudice the eventual outcome. i know we would all love to hear names but could then find them elsewhere, i would hate for this to have happened, when with a little patience we can find out when they have signed. P.S. nature can be horrible to us sometimes can't it lol.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Andy , the whole football world knows they're available already which is why I've named them and not other players we're chasing. I'm not stupid.
Dave

tufchodgy
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Efion Williams

Post by tufchodgy »

I dont manage to get to as many games as I used to but ever since I have been a TUFC fan Ive felt that there is such a lack of basic football knowledge coming from many of the fans which then permeates into the players and club officials.

If people bother to get behind and try and understand what the club are doing at a base level, rather than just whinge moan and complain and that if the board can be a little more transparent then things at the club would probably start to pick up.

I am however seeing things from a huge distance but that's my thoughts on it.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Hodgy, you're not wrong ;-)
Dave

Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

tufchodgy wrote:I dont manage to get to as many games as I used to but ever since I have been a TUFC fan Ive felt that there is such a lack of basic football knowledge coming from many of the fans which then permeates into the players and club officials.

If people bother to get behind and try and understand what the club are doing at a base level, rather than just whinge moan and complain and that if the board can be a little more transparent then things at the club would probably start to pick up.

I am however seeing things from a huge distance but that's my thoughts on it.
:goodpost:
tufchodgy
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Efion Williams

Post by tufchodgy »

Pretty generic argument I know, but unfortunately I live so far away now and get so unconnected from most things it makes it hard for me to really talk about the majority of things with any conviction or knowledge for the most part.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Dave, its not the fact that they are on the free agents list. its the fact they we are after them that can make it go tits up. clubs can be looking to sign a player and there could be other clubs also looking to sign that player. but if they don't know each other is after the player they can be a little more circumspect about things. e.g.. lets say I'm manager of bristol Rovers. Just for arguments sake. and I'm after Ajala. (yeah i know he aint gonna go there , or is he?) i can take me time to negotiate. then torquay is interested but I don't know. they do know. who is going to move faster in negotiating. then Portsmouth suddenly take and interest and know we are both going after him, they will find out what he's been offered and up it just above and get him right from under my nose. that's why i like to keep it under wraps until he is signed. and some of these keyboard warriors would do well to remember that too.
remember some of the players in the past who were on the verge of signing for us. then at the last minute another club realised we were close to a deal with that player and they signed them right from under our noses. it's galling but it has happened.

Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Andy, I'm not going to get drawn into an argument, mentioning those two names on here will have no impact on the outcome, you'll just have to trust me on that.
Dave