Chester FC v Torquay United

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

I'll be one of those 175 Scott but I only think we'll win 1-0!

Come on you yellows, I'd like to see you win at least once this season! (I missed the Macclesfield game and couldn't make it to Halifax or Southport!)

We absolutely battered Chester at their place last season and I'm confident we can do it again!

:scarf: :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well it appears the club have signed Corderoy on non-contract basis, I said this would be an embarrassment to far for me, so all I can do right now is wait for January and hope for the signing of a real keeper to replace Spiess, hopefully Mildenhall as suggested, Seriously hoping Lavercombe doesn't pick an injury over Christmas now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

No disrespect to the guy but its clear from the photo of him in the Legends game how far down the barrel we are now having to go. The bloke wouldn't be playing for anyone above the South Devon League level anywhere in the country with that standard of fitness.

If Speiss was on a contract why let him go in the middle of the transfer close season? - when the only possibility is to sign a replacement who because of his size clearly has to have difficulty jumping.

I have every sympathy with the club and their predicament but coupled with the signing of a player who had never managed as football supremo this comes straight out of the totally desperate and any idea is a good idea draw.

Yes we have clearly severe financial difficulties but do we have to make total fools of ourselves- I don't think that's necessary.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Modgull wrote: As long as they've learnt the lesson from the Hurst incident!

Point taken as read but that was him and he's no longer with us. I'm sure they've been warned to behave but they're young lads and working in the security industry I see all sorts of groups of lads out for a bit of fun, most behave, the ones that don't usually fall foul of the law soon enough.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

forevertufc wrote:Well it appears the club have signed Corderoy on non-contract basis, I said this would be an embarrassment to far for me, so all I can do right now is wait for January and hope for the signing of a real keeper to replace Spiess, hopefully Mildenhall as suggested, Seriously hoping Lavercombe doesn't pick an injury over Christmas now.
If this is true then the club must be ashamed. Yes we need a back up keeper but seriously? It is a complete embarrassment. I wondered why he was so far up Steve breeds arse on Facebook..
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

Bleeper wrote: If this is true then the club must be ashamed. Yes we need a back up keeper but seriously? It is a complete embarrassment. I wondered why he was so far up Steve breeds arse on Facebook..

Your right, surely we could have got someone better with all the money the club have, right?
To the dotted line, We're on our way
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Totally agree with the sentiment in the above posts, however, the transfer window is currently closed, the point for me, and agree with Dazza, Spiess was under contract, tell him he can leave but NOT until January 1st, couple of weeks and 3 match's.

I must stress we can't as fans jump to quickly here, it's important we wait and see what happens in January in terms of player recruitment , however when I think of all the semi-pro clubs around Devon, and we plump, even if it is temporary for cover, for an overweight keeper who probably isn't the best in the S-D-L just looks good playing for the most dominant team, bit lazy in all honesty.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I might be mis-interpreting things, but this is how I see the situation:

Fabian Speiss gets the opportunity to leave and play below Conf level (as he can do under the current regulations) - he asks the club and, as Nico probably wanted shot of him anyway, allows him to go.

The club signs Corderoy as a short term measure to get us through the Xmas period, just in case Lavercombe gets sent off/picks up a knock. We are outside the loan deadline, so we could only sign someone below Conf level. Given that most players down to Southern League Level will be on some kind of contract and subject to the "7-day approach" rule, if you're not satisfied with Corderoy as an emergency measure where do you propose this emergency keeper comes from?

Reading the HE, Nico says "but I am hopeful that we will have another 'keeper and a coach on board in the near-future" - so, come Jan 1st (or sometime early in Jan), the club signs a more senior keeper who doubles up as Goal Keeping coach. The much vaunted Steve Mildenhall - warming the bench at Rovers at the age of 36 - would surely be the ideal candidate (or someone similar), and he takes up the combined salary that was being used on Kenny Veysey and Speiss.

If the scenario plays out like this, and providing Corderoy doesn't actually get any game time, then its not as bad a state of affairs as people want to make out
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Tobebythesea wrote: If the scenario plays out like this, and providing Corderoy doesn't actually get any game time, then its not as bad a state of affairs as people want to make out

Bollocks. If Lavercombe breaks his leg in the first minute tomorrow that fat c@@t goes in goal and after the Chester players stop laughing, they shoot on site from all corners of the pitch and score 20 goals. The next week Forest Green and the Cheltenham do the same. You've really have got to be a prize moron to allow Speiss to go before the transfer window and we have two with KN and Breedy.
:slap:

What to say to that? We don't know what has actually happened. My guess is that a young lad, in a foreign country without a line manager is not being given any work to do by the top boss has had enough and said he wants to leave. Top boss has said, fine, your heart isn't in it, you're not up for the fight, you're not part of the team, you can go and we'll bring in someone who is.
No blame on either side. Speiss has done the right thing for himself and his own mental state. Nicho has done the best thing for his squad.
Corderoy is a goalkeeper. He came through our youth system. He may not be Joe hart but he isn't a complete donkey either. And hopefully it is only a temporary measure before we do the thing that Cox should have done back in the summer instead of signing Spiess in the first place!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Liverpool had a "stocky" goalkeeper called Tommy Lawrence. The Liverpool faithful gave him the moniker The Flying Pig. What moniker do you give Scott Corderoy, The Flying Walrus ?

Nah, a walrus doesn't fly, it slithers.

:engflag:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Scott - you havn't been paying attention. Marsh is out for two weeks (dead leg) Richards is out for god knows how long (hamstring) Berry is also **** as is Fairhurst who is having Xmas off.

We have now signed a fat performing seal as our back up keeper. I'm sorry but Mssrs Phillips and Breed are bringing this club into disrepute and should be charged by the FA.

It seems Mr Breed's ego is so big that any amateur player who arse licks him on face book ends up in the team. And this from a club which is still one of the best supported in the league. Seriously if Corduroy (who is about three times the size of Briscoe) ever ends up on the pitch Breed is going to look like a prize tosser. No doubt it will happen on New years day when we get beaten 15-0 by Forest Green on the tele.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

If a Club needs to sign an emergency goalkeeper because it doesn't have a recognised goalkeeper it can do so outside of the loan window. Therefore if Lavercombe gets injured either during a game or in training we can sign another goalkeeper before January.
In the meantime it is sensible to have an experienced local goalie on the bench rather than not have one at all. There is plenty of room on the bench after all given our current shortage of players. Welcome to Plainmor, Scott.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Jack wrote:If a Club needs to sign an emergency goalkeeper because it doesn't have a recognised goalkeeper it can do so outside of the loan window. Therefore if Lavercombe gets injured either during a game or in training we can sign another goalkeeper before January.
In the meantime it is sensible to have an experienced local goalie on the bench rather than not have one at all. There is plenty of room on the bench after all given our current shortage of players. Welcome to Plainmor, Scott.
Oh thank God for someone posting with a bit of common sense !!! :bow:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The post from Jack does indeed display some common sense and I can't disagree with the sentiment within. However I do think it misses the point, Spiess was contracted to TUFC I can not see any valid reason at all why our club could not have told Spiess he had to stay until Jan 1st, there's nothing reported at all, i.e family etc, it appears to have done to hasten the departure of Spiess, as he's already signed for Alfreton.

Yes we need goalkeeper cover, by letting Spiess go and bringing in Corderoy from Watcombe, we now run the risk in some vital games should Lavercombe be unfortunate to come a cropper in a 1.v.1 situation either injured or sent off a real occupational hazard for a keeper, of having to bring on an overweight keeper from the S-D-L, when we could have kept Spiess for fortnight.

The above scenario probably won't happen and all will be fine, lets hope that it doesn't happen half way through FGR or Cheltenham away, they will create chances and don't have strikers from the local park leagues, their front players don't tend to miss.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Jack wrote:If a Club needs to sign an emergency goalkeeper because it doesn't have a recognised goalkeeper it can do so outside of the loan window. Therefore if Lavercombe gets injured either during a game or in training we can sign another goalkeeper before January.
Given the club's dire financial situation it has probably done the most sensible thing to save a bit of money until KN brings in a goalkeeper/coach in the New Year as stated. However, if the club finds itself in a situation where it needs to sign an emergency keeper during the next two weeks one would hope that KN already has a keeper lined up for such an eventuality. The question then is, having signed up this local keeper, will KN be allowed to sign the emergency keeper? Common sense says yes, but what are the rules?