Sturrock Leaves

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Was this another 'shop window' appointment? Hope we're getting some sort of commission... (good for all parties - my arse)!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Well that's embarassing. Obviously it wasn't a formalised role that he was getting paid for, leaving him free to move on at any time. Possibly the timing was unfortunate, but surely if he was going to have any serious involvement for any length of time, he would have had a contract.

This gives the impression that he was just here to give casual advice from time to time, which was not how most of us read this new position.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Astute man. Took him less than two weeks to come to the conclusion most of us have after two seasons!

I bet it was the lack of a tactics board that was the decider! ;-)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

According to what Bill Phillips said in the He Hargreaves appears to be staying. Lets face it we are not going to get new owners other than the current board members who are worse than useless anyway. Conference South, here we come.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Guess the next 'local' advisors to try are Neil Warnock (Cornwall) and Harry Redknapp (Dorset)! They should have plenty of contacts!
withawhy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by withawhy »

Nick - isn't Bruce Rioch also available and living close to the Tamar now?

If Wiki is right, he has quite an impressive overall win/draw over loss record in management and surely still has some good contacts.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Just when you think you have hit bottom along comes another smash in the face.

Seriously - no matter if the role is still available I cannot think we could ever find anyone who even gets near to what Sturrock could offer (especially with the peanuts we can pay!).

Whilst being a fan of TUFC - today is the most depressed I have ever felt.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Embarrassing, could have helped to steady the ship. What next for TUFC?
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

RussianGull wrote:Embarrassing, could have helped to steady the ship. What next for TUFC?
Shipwreck, all hands lost! :'(
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Yeovil announce their manager tomorrow. It's as simple as that
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

brucie wrote:According to what Bill Phillips said in the He Hargreaves appears to be staying. Lets face it we are not going to get new owners other than the current board members who are worse than useless anyway. Conference South, here we come.
Optimistic to say the least IMO !

Current board will most likely not have the funds to provide full time football & also the youth programme unless they can attract new major investment ( unlikely )

Administration before Xmas ???
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper

Post by MidDevon »

he did last longer than 10 minutes
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

How embarrassing for the club, at a time when the very last thing it needs is to be suffering more ridicule.

I really cannot see where Bill Phillips is coming from when he says that the club still believes in the idea of a DOF. We are a non league side, with no money and are probably looking at sub 1500 gates next season (possibly even less). I imagine Sturrock was only offering his services on a free of charge/expenses only basis as he was desperate to get back into the game - albeit only on his terms i.e with a Westcountry club.

A club at our level and with our budget cannot afford a (paid) Director of Football, A Manager, an Assistant Manager and a Goalkeeping Coach!!! Quite simply it SHOULD be the Manager's job to recruit players and organise the team (and whatever else was supposed to be Sturrock's remit) he shouldn't need help! It simply implies that he is not up to the job!

As for finding a replacement for Sturrock - well I wish you the best of luck with that Bill as I think the Sturrock "opportunity" was probably a one off - I certainly cannot see any of the other "names" mentioned in this thread being in the slightest bit interested!

The whole club seems to be in a never ending downward spiral and if, as it seems is a strong possibility as things stand, we are left with a status quo next season - the SAME tired owners with the SAME management team and much of the SAME playing squad I predict impending disaster. I can see season ticket levels (at the SAME inflated levels) falling to record lows perhaps no more than a few hundred. As a long standing fan said to me last Saturday after the Darford debacle "I would bite your hand off for 20th place next season' - sad, but true. I genuinely think we will be one of the favourites for relegation next season - unless there is a major overhaul at the club this summer.

When you hear some of the stuff coming from those in charge - Bill Phillips now and Thea before - you just get the impression that as long as there is a football club to follow on a Saturday afternoon nothing else really matters, which may be so, but for the vast majority of fans they need to have some hope, some optimism that better times are just around the corner - sadly at this time I doubt you will find many, if any, that feel like that about the club at this moment in time.

The last few months have been some of the hardest, I would suggest, in many a long year of following TUFC. The brief appearance of Kelvin Thomas gave us some hope, now he has all but disappeared - what a pointless exercise that was by the way, seeking out fans opinions, meeting the staff, directors, management team and players and at the end of it all for what???? Absolutely NOTHING, that's what!!!! :@

Now we have Paul Sturrock, lauded as our saviour when "appointed" last Sunday and he only managed to last until Wednesday - not quite in the same league as (10 minutes) Leroy, but not far off. Of course, what should have happened is that Sturrock should have been approached weeks ago (post the Braintree humiliation) and given the job on a proper basis and then at the very least Yeovil would have to compensate us for taking him off us - but under this regime nothing is ever done properly it seems - and so he's gone before he even really started!

Ah well, if this weather holds up I think I might just give Saturday a miss and actually find something enjoyable to do - I suspect I won't be alone!
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

http://m.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/TOR ... story.html

What a load of rubbish!! I bet he is a very relieved man!
You can't tell me that PS would of done exactly the same as what CH has done.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper

Post by MidDevon »

I love the bit

"We still believe in the principle of someone to work with Chris, and to provide an additional sounding board for ideas, both tactically and in terms of recruitment. I also genuinely believe that Chris endorses that view."