Burton Albion v Torquay United - 12/1/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Like mkgull this is my 4th visit making the Pirelli the away ground i've visited the most watching Torquay jointly with Chesterfield. Stat or what?!!! I'm setting off in just over an hour and we are looking at a heavy defeat today sadly.Up the Gulls though!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

miltonkeynesgull wrote:Setting off for this before too long, will be my 4th trip to Burton and I'm yet to see us lose, so bizarre as it seems I'm quietly confident of a result.

Whilst Burton's home form is excellent, and our away form is anything but, Rene has scored in our last 3 meetings with them, we've only lost against them once at the Pirelli in five trips there, and eight out of our twelve meetings in total have been draws or Torquay wins, so there's reason for a little optimism.

Lingy has a little selection dilemma with Saah and Bodin returning. I think both may return, as we could do with that little extra experience for an away game. it might be a bit harsh on MacDonald if he was dropped, but I'd agree on bringing Bodin back in for Yeoman, despite how well he apparently played against Wimbledon.

Hopefully we can keep Kee and Zola quiet, and perhaps sneak it by the odd goal for a 2-1. Think we'd settle for a point at this stage though. COYY!
I'd prefer it if we kept Yeoman in his role from the Wimbledon game. He looked good in his cameo there against Argyle and by all accounts was good against the Wombles, I think he deserves to keep his place. Ideal scenario for me would be to move Craig into the centre in place of Easton, and Bodin out on the wing.

Saah for MacDonald for me is a no-brainer. MacDonald has done nothing wrong at all, but three last minute goals conceded in 3 games points to a problem which needs a solution. Get Brian back in there.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Totally agree Jeff. Yeoman to start and Saah to start ( no disrespect to MacDonald who has done really well ).
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Certainly not a decision I'd like to have to make! Saah I'd agree should come back in, despite being tough on Angus. Absolutely with you on having Bodin on the wing and Craig in the middle Jeff, but can't help feel Ling may bring Billy straight back in for Yeoman instead. Still feel at this stage that Bodin offers us more than Ashley, and should be ahead of him in the pecking order if fit.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

A game where we must win to get the winning feeling back in the camp and gain some much needed confidence.

However if you offered me a point before kick off, I'd gladly take it!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
holsten
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by holsten »

I'd like to see Yeoman start again today. He was the silver lining in an awful result on New Years Day, so give the lad a chance Lingy!

MacDonald has been very good, you can't knock him. However, Saah is arguable the hub of the defence and should always start when fit.

Craig in the middle or not at all. He's an excellent playmaker in the middle of the park but wasted on the wings.

2-2 for me (yeoman, howe) 212 gulls
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

A had a dream last night. We won 4 nil.

Shame it was only a dream!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Like to see this line up:

--------Poke-------

Oastler----Saah---Downes---Nicho

------Lathrope------

Mansell-----Craig---

Bodin*-----------Stevens

--------Howe------

*If BB is unfit then either one of Yeoman or Thompson.

3-1 defeat unfortunately, Zola bagging 2 and Kee scoring. Rene for us.

2754 there with 231 Gulls.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Did Yeoman play wide against Wimbledon? Or was he up top with Howe?
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

He played in the centre, the same role that Jarvis has been employed in recently. However I hope we revert to the 4-5-1/4-3-3, just to stop the rot of losing late goals. We need some stability, and I think DL will provide it.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

NickGull wrote:He played in the centre, the same role that Jarvis has been employed in recently. However I hope we revert to the 4-5-1/4-3-3, just to stop the rot of losing late goals. We need some stability, and I think DL will provide it.
Yeah, I've previously hinted at us simply trying to stop the habit of conceding goals before we try and work on our attacking phase of play. You can see it happen in leagues everywhere; where a team will ship loads of goals and then tighten up their defence - draw a few games and then start scoring some more and winning some games.

Make the team more rigid but give the 3 front players the freedom to create but everyone else holds their position and closes down the opposition.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Exactly. Look at QPR. They've been crap; Harry comes in and since then they've kept clean sheets at Chelsea and are currently holding Spurs. Iron out the defensive problems and then look at the attack, like you say.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

01 Poke
02 Oastler
03 Nicholson
04 Downes
05 Saah
06 Lathrope
07 Mansell
19 Stevens
20 Craig
08 Jarvis
09 Howe

Substitutes

13 Rice
16 MacDonald
21 Cruise
15 Bodin
18 Easton
29 Thompson
23 Yeoman

Looking at that, it's either 4-5-1 with Jarvis and Stevens out wide or 4-4-2 with Craig out on the right again.

Very surprised to see Jarvis start, feel for Yeoman being dropped but hopefully he'll provide an option off the bench if we need it.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

01 Poke
02 Oastler
03 Nicholson
04 Downes
05 Saah
06 Lathrope
07 Mansell
19 Stevens
20 Craig
08 Jarvis
09 Howe

Substitutes

13 Rice
16 MacDonald
21 Cruise
15 Bodin
18 Easton
29 Thompson
23 Yeoman

Looking at that, it's either 4-5-1 with Jarvis and Stevens out wide or 4-4-2 with Craig out on the right again.

Very surprised to see Jarvis start, feel for Yeoman being dropped but hopefully he'll provide an option off the bench if we need it.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Was just going to post it looked like that lineup from the way they are warming up. Haven't actually seen Bodin yet which is odd.

Not seen Jarvis play in the "Jarvis role" yet as haven't been away for a while. Glad Lathrope is back in the fold as I really rate him.