A Tribute to a Missing Fan

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Rach
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Rach »

an absolutely beautiful post, I wish Ian all the best!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

One outstanding post on its own can win MOTM, so remember SkyBlueGull for consideration when the end of August approaches.

Get well soon Ian and outlive your first 5 year commitment to Bristow's Bench.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

A truly exceptional, brilliant post! Get well soon Ian!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Great post, have only had chance to read it all now. On behalf of the site we wish him a speedy recovery so he can use that ticket!
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yep - he didn't miss much on Tuesday.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

brucie wrote:Yep - he didn't miss much on Tuesday.
I think that's extremely selfish and rude, that's the only thing you can say after an opening post like that? Seriously a joke.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Let's not make this a Brucie thread.

I look forward to seeing the 'missing fan' take his rightful place in Bristow's Bench. Good luck to you and your family.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

SkyBlue, hadn't had the chance to read your post before today, but had read the replies to it on my phone via the last 100 posty bit. I can only echo what everyone else has expressed - I'd like to wish Ian a full and speedy recovery and to also say what a truly moving post that was. With his obvious determination to ignore advancing years, I'm sure it won't be too long before Ian is back at Plainmoor - and having supported Bees as well as Torquay, he's clearly used to facing tough times and coming through them!! :bow: All the best to you and your family, Tony, and please keep us updated.
Spagull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Spagull »

Sorry to hear this news Tony. Never forget calling round Ian's before and after the Gulls v Coventry FA cup match we all went down to, just a great guy. Hope he makes a full recovery mate. Have pm'd you,
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

What a moving post. All the best Ian, here's praying that you make a sufficient recovery to make the best use of your fantastic commitment to TUFC.
As others have said, please keep us updated with regards to Ian's progress, Tony.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SkyBlueGull »

My apologies for bringing this post back up some 6 months later but I have had problems getting back on the site and only succeeded again this week-end . However I thought you may like to have a update.

Unfortunately Ian's progress hasn't even been as good as the Gulls performances on the pitch and he remains paralysed all down his left side with associated difficulties.
On the bright side he has moved from Newton Abbot Hospital to Mount Tyron Nursing Home in Upper Warberry Road where he is getting the best care possible and it is only some 5 minutes from his home.

Football wise I managed to take him to the Morecombe game which I found extremely emotional - as I thought it was something that would never happen. It was quite a feat of organisation and grateful thanks must go to SOS taxis and the club itself in helping to organise. We went in the new disabled stand in front of Bristows bench and watched a pretty mundane game on what was one of the coldest games I have ever attended. We asked and received 2 extra blankets for Ian during the game. I believe he really enjoyed it though and was talking and telling anyone who would listen about it for the next few days.

Since then his visits have been sporadic I went through the same organisational hoops for the Exeter game before Christmas only for the game to be called off and tried to take him to the Port Vale game but he wasn't feeling well enough to go. He can't make the evening games because he is usually tired by about 8.00pm and the games finish too late. There is a carer at Mount Tyron who I believe has taken him to a couple of games depending on availability of carer and transport.

So that s the update pretty grim

There is one thing I would add the disabled area in front of Bristows Bench is fantastic from a view point of view and the layout to accommodate wheelchairs and a seat for the carer but with one major flaw there is no roof and it is open to the elements. If it was forecast rain Ian wouldn't go because he would get soaked. I have thought that they could put a Perspex roof similar to the dugouts over this and have even contacted the club about this as I would be happy to find ways of getting sponsorship for this to meet the cost whether it be my company (who despite being located in Warwickshire do a lot of insurance business in Torquay )- the TUST, or even me raising sponsorship through other means. At the moment I am still awaiting a reply and will keep you posted. However if anone has any contacts about getting such a roof at a good price please let me or the club know.

Finally I will be going to Northampton (my most local game). I usually wear the 70s white retro shirt with the number 17 on please come up and speak to me especially you Andy. If you believe Andy's post I will be the guy with the soiled pants and a rather unsavoury aroma- "eau de poo"

Regards

SkyBlueGull
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

fantastic that ian has managed to get to a couple of games, maybe some fund raising ideas from fans, halftime collection would be an idea , maybe a tust collection at the end of a game,any other ideas from anyone?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

It's great that Ian has a good loyal friend like you SBG and i'm sorry to hear that things aren't improving for him as he would like. I think we have all known someone close to us who suffers illness and it is a very distressing time but what you are doing for the bloke is what true friends do for one another and i hope Ian can get to more Torquay games in the future and more importantly, i wish him all the best and hope his condition improves.

I'm going to Northampton too SBG so if i clock the t-shirt i'll be only to happy to introduce myself and say a quick hello but anyway, sorry to hear of Ians ongoing illness and i wish you both all the best.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Also, i will not be able to attend another home game this season i don't think but i wish you luck with the roof thingy and obviously i won't be there to donate should you arrange a half time collection. Please PM me with an address and i will be only to happy to contribute what small amount i can to help.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

what a fantastic and heartfelt opening post.

stories like this and people like Ian make me proud to call myself a fellow Gull.

sorry to hear recovery hasn't been going too well, but stay strong, and please add me to the long list of people wishing Ian a speedy recovery. All the very best.
Brady

I Wish I Was There