New boss poll

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Who do you want as our new boss?

Poll ended at 01 Jun 2011, 00:04

Hargreaves
28%
Hill
No votes
Hodges (K)
No votes
Hodges (L)
1%
Trollope
27%
Rosenior
24%
Other
20%

Total votes: 90

miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Given how critical you've been of every aspect of the last 4 seasons of Buckle leadership, perhaps now's the time to stick your hat in the ring for the job Brucie...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

At least Brucie wouldn't be posting off job applications every few weeks............... ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
LeroyTUFC2011
New Signing
New Signing

Post by LeroyTUFC2011 »

Got to be Leroy, Paul Trollope is bad news, we dont want him.
Magpiegull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Magpiegull »

I agree with 'Chippygull' - Bruce Rioch but with a young 'player-coach'. Has a wealth of experience at all levels and contacts to go with that experience. But - would he want to get back into the rat race after settling into 'retirement' in Falmouth?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

LeroyTUFC2011 wrote:Got to be Leroy, Paul Trollope is bad news, we dont want him.

nice to see that leroy has finally joined our forum......... 8/ =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

LeroyTUFC2011
New Signing
New Signing

Post by LeroyTUFC2011 »

I need the job! Tv's not for me.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
nice to see that leroy has finally joined our forum......... 8/ =D
I always thought that Leroy was brucie? :whip:
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I think those voting for Hargreaves are voting from their heart and not their head. It would be a risky and potentially disastrous appointment. Would love to see him back as maybe first team coach but distancing himself from the players and being popular would be a big ask for his character. Would need a very strong person above him to make that set-up work.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
LeroyTUFC2011
New Signing
New Signing

Post by LeroyTUFC2011 »

Richinns wrote:I think those voting for Hargreaves are voting from their heart and not their head. It would be a risky and potentially disastrous appointment. Would love to see him back as maybe first team coach but distancing himself from the players and being popular would be a big ask for his character. Would need a very strong person above him to make that set-up work.
Too true
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I loved Leroy during his time with the club, he always took time to respect the fans and that feeling was reciprocated in the reception he got and still does get when he comes to Plainmoor.

But if there was one gripe I had with Leroy, he did a pretty poor job of assembling a side on a limited budget - for example the plethora of trialists he recruited in 2005/6. I'm very much in the camp of people that believe he inherited the Promotion winning side. Sure, it was he who got them playing fantastic football and thats no easy task but its my opinion that the core of that side was assembled for him. When it came to him building a side I think he made a bad job of it. Spunking a undoubtedly large chunk of the wage budget on Matt Hewlett being a prime example. I know that view won't sit easily with some posters but thats my take on things.

Given that next seasons manager is likely to be re-assembling a side effectively with one hand tied behind their back I'd have serious reservations on whether Leroy would be the man to be able to do that. Plus with his media work, I'm not sure he'd have been keeping his finger on the pulse in terms of potential recruitment. Although he'd be well on top of established FL players, he may not be up to speed on reserves/academy dropouts who we will no doubt be looking towards. I'm also sure his media contracts are lucrative enough that he may not be interested in a return to management (although that may be a moot point given that the BBC have lost the FL highlights package).

What could be a blessing in disguise is that we need a whole new management team. With both Bucks and North going (no surprise at all really), we have the opportunity to bring in someone like Aggy perhaps as a Player/assistant manager.

I do think its key that we have an experienced head somewhere in the setup though. For me, something of a dream ticket would be Rioch as a Director of Football, with Hargreaves as Manager. Rioch has a wealth of experience and a solid CV (got Bolton promoted to the Premier League, League Titles in Denmark etc) plus local links. My only concern would be how in touch he would be with the English game, as I'm not sure whether he'd been monitoring it as closely as we would like.

I would have no problems in Hargreaves being appointed manager. Sure he would be inexperienced but so was Buckle, so was Eddie Howe for Bournemouth and look how that turned out. Hargreaves would be popular with the fans and I assume popular with the core of experienced players. I'd be satisfied that he'd worked with enough managers and coaches to know what makes a good manager (and what makes a bad one), and his number of contacts within the game must be phenomenal. Sure, he's never played at the highest level, but then we rarely recruit anyone from there. If you think of all the people he's played or worked with over the years who are still in the game, it must be frightening.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Trollepe or Rioch for me. Love Leroy but felt things fell his way with a very good team (which was in place when he arrived) and to appoint him now would be a big risk (sorry Shane!).
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

what about dave jones?

just been sacked by cardiff! =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

How good would Buckle's transfer dealings have been without John Milton? Yes, Leroy struggled in that respect but he was doing everything himself. If we maintain the kind of backroom staff that Bucks enjoyed through his tenure, i have no doubt Leroy would do a brilliant job. If we're going back to a skeleton staff, with the manager asked to do everything himself again, then yes, he probably will fayre badly - whoever it is.

I very much doubt Leroy is in the frame. I'd imagine the board would be embarrassed to even approach him about it. If he was spoken to, i very much doubt he'd accept it any way. But, if he is in the frame, he's one of the better options. It'd be a risk, but them very few of the names touted are not risks. Certainly Hargeaves, Russell, Hill etc are.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

I've gone for Trollope, simply because I think he could do something with our team. I don't think we should go back to Leroy, much as I loved him while he was here, and would prefer someone with some experience (unless assisted by someone with some), though I guess Buckle came to us green and did a good job. Rioch sounds like he'd be good for us, but I doubt we'd get him.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I'd very much doubt either party (the board or Leroy) would welcome working together again. The way they treated Leroy shows that they don't rate him as a manager and after that treatment i really doubt he would be keen to sit around a table with them and work with them every day... Personally, i wouldn't mind Leroy, but i just can't see it happening after that....
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...