PLAYERS CONTRACTS FOR NEXT SEASON.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

I may get slated for this but I don’t actually think McGavin and Hanson are that bad. I think our style of play (long ball) suits neither, particularly McGavin. Marshall is a poor defender imo and simply not good enough. Crowe again doesn’t look up to it although I can’t quite work out what’s gone wrong with him given his pedigree as a youth player. Jarvis has been the best of our signings but I can’t imagine he wants to be knocking around NLS.

I think the problem with our recruitment has been we signed several players hoping they might turn out to be ‘marquee’ players. There doesn’t seem to have been any thought about signing players that could be moulded in a team. What level of thought went into identify weak areas of the squad and targeting key positions? Our scattergun approach to recruitment this season is one of the main reasons we are where we are.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 20:02 100% spot on post, I agree with names stated to be kept on (hopefully) all of those I'd be happy with, and all those mentioned to go, get rid, I'm not being harsh, he may be a nice lad, and it's not personal, but how Ali Omar got a deal for this season is a huge mystery, when he's on the ball, it's like the football is a handgranade, That must panic team members alongside him, I think there's 5 or 6 currently who'd do a job in NLS, but the rest aren't up to it, maybe in a few years they will be, but this level currently and even NLS is beyond them, if there's a case for his defense -Donnellan has-been messed about as RB,Wing Back, Centre Midfielder, and wide right, what is his actual position?, Either way, I believe he needs to go. The keeper situation is a concern, can see Halstead leaving.
You raise good points, but tbf are a bit harsh on Donellan. He's been p*ssed about alright. Surprised he's not been played as a CF.....
How about playing him in just his correct position and see how he goes?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Steve_TUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Steve_TUFC »

Ok fair enough, he’s been played out of position for the majority of his games. If we can somehow get rid of the others, I’ll let Donnellan stay, but no one else, we need a fresh start.
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by CourtierGull »

thebigp1 wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 22:20 I may get slated for this but I don’t actually think McGavin and Hanson are that bad. I think our style of play (long ball) suits neither, particularly McGavin. Marshall is a poor defender imo and simply not good enough. Crowe again doesn’t look up to it although I can’t quite work out what’s gone wrong with him given his pedigree as a youth player. Jarvis has been the best of our signings but I can’t imagine he wants to be knocking around NLS.

I think the problem with our recruitment has been we signed several players hoping they might turn out to be ‘marquee’ players. There doesn’t seem to have been any thought about signing players that could be moulded in a team. What level of thought went into identify weak areas of the squad and targeting key positions? Our scattergun approach to recruitment this season is one of the main reasons we are where we are.
We are probably in the minority here, but I have to agree re Hanson and mcgavin, especially mcgavin who for me at times has certainly showed he has ability and I think would look a lot better in a side that focuses on passing the ball, the game bypasses him and one downside for him is he isn’t the fastest or the best tackler and that’s definitely been exposed.

I see a lot of people saying we need a complete overhaul, personally I think with a different manager we have a squad that should be good enough to be at the top of the NLS. If we’d of signed 3 or 4 wingers in pre season and didn’t continue to persist with the stupid 352 formation I think we’d be a lot higher up the table, but that means nothing now.

Assuming they want to say, Halstead Jarvis Lapslie are the best we have got. After that I’d like us to keep Martin(if he’s fit) Moxey(if he’s got another season in him) Wyatt (had a poor season but has done it before for Sutton)
Then there’s players with potential that I think could be good enough under the right management like Crowe, Mcgavin, Donnellan, Hanson, Moyse and Tomlinson are another 2. I don’t think the rest warrant another year and would probably struggle to get a good deal elsewhere.
The Eternal Optimist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by The Eternal Optimist »

Why do people think that a big clear out of players and manager, and bringing in all new player personnel will result in a successful team? It will be just like the beginning of this season, with the whole team consisting of players strangers to each other. It will take a new manager, and that if he's good enough, to bed in, find the right players to come here (and that's difficult enough in itself) and then mold them into a (winning) team. It just won't happen during the summer months as if by magic. Yes Paul Buckle did it, and did it well, he should never have left, but it is unlikely to happen again. There is absolutely no guarantee. Fans want to be careful what they wish for.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I do struggle with Donnellan. It's his decision making. The lack of understanding his defensive duties. So very frustrating, as he cost us the last game and some others since Christmas.

If we do go down, bizarrely, I think we should keep the younger players. They'll get more match time in league south and if we can bounce straight back will be better players than if we actually stay up.

They aren't there yet, or close, but kids learn quick. Kids also need a rollicking sometimes and Gary should make it loud and clear that if they don't perform, put the effort in, and most importantly make the right decisions, then they'll be out.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

thebigp1 wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 22:20 I may get slated for this but I don’t actually think McGavin and Hanson are that bad. I think our style of play (long ball) suits neither, particularly McGavin.
They're not terrible players, but so far we haven't been able to put together a side to cover up their weaknesses. Particularly in McGavin's case - he has zero pace. If you have a highly mobile centre-midfield partner able to do the fetching and carrying for him, I think he'd be ok. But our midfield has been slow all season. Prior to the season I'd have thought that Lapslie could be that cover, but it's not worked out that way.

I still wonder about Hanson. I thought he was a decent signingwhen he came in, but he's been...awful so far. Not sure why, because I recall that for Dover he seemed to be MotM pretty much every week.

toastkid wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 20:31 I do struggle with Donnellan. It's his decision making. The lack of understanding his defensive duties.
Completely agree. He's worked his nuts off this year and he's been ok for about 80% of it, good for 10%. But it's the other 10% that has cost us points. I don't know if he's been told to get forward to help win us games, but there have been multiple times (particularly late in games) where we've conceded as a result.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

Perhaps someone should explain to Mr Johnson that as he has, time after time this season, made wrong decisions then it is time for him to be put out!!
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Not fit for purpose is my opinion
McGavin far to slow, looks lazy, by the time he has got the ball under control he has lost it. Cannot tackle, gives the ball away cheaply. He was on for 6 minutes on Saturday, managed to give the ball away…. Take a look at his weak attempt to tackle prior to the winning goal. He is of no benefit to this football club.
Hanson… a huge disappointment, cannot think of anything he has brought to the party. Losing mentality from Dover and 2 relegations on his cv in 2 years. Poor signing and personally I would get shot.
Marshall… loose cannon. Mistakes aplenty which have cost us time and time again. Cannot defend as was abundantly clear in a must win at Dorking away. Last Saturday was a typical loose cannon performance. Has struggled in NL and have seen very little to convince he is worth keeping.
Donnellan… very frustrating. Player of the Month to his latest woeful performances. Not helped with Johnson playing him at right back. Confidence shot completely.
That’s my view on them…. All about opinions, these 4 have had their chance and failed. They are hugely responsible for the position we find ourselves in. 4 supposed Marquees…yeah right 🙄
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I totally agree with DevonBee, McGavin is so slow, I've seen HMS Belfast turn quicker, All those names mentioned need shipping out, along with Mensah, Wyatt, and Omar, Donnellan Could be a 50/50 one for me, like Its been said, confidence must be shot, but he's a utility player being asked to play in different roles, in a struggling side, he probably needs dropping to rebuild his confidence,,All the loanees will return, it'll be a huge rebuild yet again, if we could keep Jarvis, Moxey, Hall, Martin, Lapslie and Halstead it would be a start, but I think all of those will either leave or be sold off.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Yes agree Mr Tea808.
A massive rebuild ahead throughout.
It would be good if we could tempt Dawson to stay as he has added some quality and leadership to the side.
However with Johnson gone 🤞not sure he would stay.
Keep Crowe as I think he can be improved, Martin, Moyse who has deserved a chance this year. Oh and Lovett.
Going to be an interesting time ahead.
Halstead,Lapslie ,Jarvis will all move on.
Moxey and Hall thanks but it has been one season too many for their tired legs another GJ error.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Cant for the life of me understand how anyone can possibly view Hanson as a decent player - I mean he looks absolutely terrible.

Donnellan has done his best to lose us a few matches lately.

If you think that Jarvis is going to be here next season you must be living on fantasy island. Keep Hall? his legs have gone - he should be shot. Halstead can go as well - get a keeper in who doesnt spend all game hopping around his goal line.

I would agree on Crowe though - one player that has some footballing ability. I'd actually keep Omar given the league we are in. He's a big strong unit and is fit - unlike most of this squad.

However if has been muted that Johnson signed half of these losers on two year contracts then we are seriously stuffed.

Crowds will hold up if we are challenging next year - it never matters what standard of team you are playing as long as your winning. If however we are in the bottom half of the table then things will die off quickly. Guess it depends on what the ownership wants to do and the signs dont look good.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Admiral wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 20:24 Correct me if I’m wrong, but when we went down from the Football League the first time Buckle only had 4 players to start with. That’s probably the sort of rebuild we’re looking at.
that's the sort of rebuild we're always looking at!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

DevonBee wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 21:56 Not fit for purpose is my opinion
McGavin far to slow, looks lazy, by the time he has got the ball under control he has lost it. Cannot tackle, gives the ball away cheaply. He was on for 6 minutes on Saturday, managed to give the ball away…. Take a look at his weak attempt to tackle prior to the winning goal. He is of no benefit to this football club.
Hanson… a huge disappointment, cannot think of anything he has brought to the party. Losing mentality from Dover and 2 relegations on his cv in 2 years. Poor signing and personally I would get shot.
Marshall… loose cannon. Mistakes aplenty which have cost us time and time again. Cannot defend as was abundantly clear in a must win at Dorking away. Last Saturday was a typical loose cannon performance. Has struggled in NL and have seen very little to convince he is worth keeping.
Donnellan… very frustrating. Player of the Month to his latest woeful performances. Not helped with Johnson playing him at right back. Confidence shot completely.
That’s my view on them…. All about opinions, these 4 have had their chance and failed. They are hugely responsible for the position we find ourselves in. 4 supposed Marquees…yeah right 🙄
Don't think anybody was crowing about these guys as 'marquee' players. McGavin and Hanson have both been poor, I don't think anybody is disputing that. But in the division below? I think they could do a job - especially since they're both presumably contracted so given our perilous financial situation we're probably not in any kind of position to just pay up their contracts.

Marshall's a liability. Thought he was somebody we needed - basically a big ugly no-nonsence lower league defender in the Guy Branston mould - but he's been culpable too many times. Donnellan is a tough one. he veers from good to abject.
brucie wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 14:13 However if has been muted that Johnson signed half of these losers on two year contracts then we are seriously stuffed.
The word you're looking for here is 'mooted'.

toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I'd keep McGavin and Hanson, as I think they'll improve, and they need to.

Donnellan and Marshall have made too many big mistakes for me, and should go.