National League Torquay United v Wrexham Saturday 5th Dec 2020 3pm KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

What a feeling to be standing up at Plainmoor after so long and seeing Whitfields shot go in for 1-0

Thats what football is about :scarf:
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 17:51 What a feeling to be standing up at Plainmoor after so long and seeing Whitfields shot go in for 1-0

Thats what football is about :scarf:
Yes it was good to see the fans return and they (we) were up for it with plenty of vocal support particularly in the second half when the players needed a lift.

Only trouble is that your favourite player was on the other side albeit that he was fairly anonymous today!
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Fantastic result and great to see fans. Maybe I will get to see the gulls in 2021 after all.
Just looked at the upcoming games and very winnable.
When do we start believing that we might actually get back to our rightful place in the football league!
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

That was a very competent performance today.

Felt a little sterile standing mostly as separate individuals, although there were some double standing spaces, but overall felt safe and there seemed to be no issue with singing/shouting etc. Everyone around my new area kept masks on and stayed on their designated spots at all times.

Have to say it was a better experience than I expected .......but I would rather be standing in my usual spot !
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

The attendance was quoted as 975, so looks like c. 250 ST holders stayed away.
TUST_Member_Rob

gateman49 wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 18:05 Yes it was good to see the fans return and they (we) were up for it with plenty of vocal support particularly in the second half when the players needed a lift.

Only trouble is that your favourite player was on the other side albeit that he was fairly anonymous today!
Sorted :-D
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Gloomy Gull wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 18:35 The attendance was quoted as 975, so looks like c. 250 ST holders stayed away.

That was the point I was making earlier. There were a few ‘yellow feet’ not covered around me today. If the club know that season ticket holders are not attending can they sell the spaces on, and generate more much needed income, or is it not as simple as that. Thought there was quite a good atmosphere at times today, given the sparse crowd, with some singing/chanting which seemed to be allowed.
Good result against a fairly decent side with, I thought, the defence looking pretty secure now with Kyle Cameron now looking really solid.
Also thought Adam Randell looks a real class act.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Not many posts on here - we are top of the league aren't we? Perhaps nobody can believe how well it's going.
Ok not a vintage performance but our workrate and defending were excellent.
Connor should have made it 3-1on the stroke of half time when he hit the post
. Maybe that would have settled us down, Wrexham came back strongly second half but we limited them to very few if any clear chances. They aren't a bad side - did beat Sutton 4-0 a week or so ago. Don't know what happened to Wynter but Sherring did very well on the right , new lad Kerr looked good and Andrews had a very good game on the left. Hall was probably my man of the match. Guess Wright is still not 100 pc
Would like to see Umerah contribute more,
he is awkward to play against but hasn't really produced a lot yet. Great to be back on the terraces , thought it was a good atmosphere , nobody took any notice of the no shouting/chanting request. Did look odd seeing every area of the ground covered but spaced out. Looking forward to Tuesday hope we can produce a bit better performance than the second half today but not complaining. Wrexham look possible play off material.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

It was great to be back watching football 'in the flesh' again. Really enjoyed the experience and thought the Club did well to organise the crowd - it felt a really safe environment even if every now and again people shouted and chanted. I thought it was a really good game policed by a singularly poor referee. He made a series of poor calls, the worst of which involved the award of a corner before their goal and the felling of Randell in the penalty area. Perhaps the highlights will support him but somehow I doubt it. Thought CLE, Whitfield, Hall, Randell and Cameron were outstanding but also thought Andrews had a very good game. Another tough game on Tuesday - if we can beat Maidenhead then I think we could realistically go through to the end of the year unbeaten.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Agree with a lot of what you say desperado, we are all longtime torquay united supporters who have seen us, too often, cave, fold and generally fall apart in seasons past and yet this season seems different, we have won games that could have gone either way, we have a killer instinct, we have the majority of a team if not a full squad that can win this league, I just hope that come January teams with deep pockets dont come hunting the likes of Cameron, Whitfield and Evans and we can find some way of keeping Sherring and Randell until the end of the season. Hopefully the likes of Davis and little make it back soon. As for today, considering we had another changed back 3/4 they coped well against a team that had some very good players and a big budget, I love the heart of nemane and his forward running but a blade of grass could make a successful tackle on him, if we are playing wingbacks then they have to be players that can stop the opposition and protect the flanks and full back, he does neither consistently well, Not surprised Wright did not last the full game,I heard the commentator mention his hamstring. I would like to see Umerah the bull on to start , not that he is a better centre forward, far from it, but by the time the centre halfs have had enough of being kneed, elbowed and generally beaten up Wright can come on and wreak havoc, but yet another win and our opponents on Tuesday had their very talented winger coney sent off for a straight red so we shoudnt see him tuesday.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Living in Essex as a season ticket holder I can’t get to every game. I had expected to attend today but wasn’t able to travel down for various reasons. I won’t be there Tuesday either but will be for the Dagenham game. If there’s a system whereby we can let the club know that a season ticket won’t be used for a specific game I’d be happy to facilitate another ticket being available for sale.
TUST_Member_Rob

desperado wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 20:23 Not many posts on here - we are top of the league aren't we? Perhaps nobody can believe how well it's going.
Ok not a vintage performance but our workrate and defending were excellent.
Connor should have made it 3-1on the stroke of half time when he hit the post
. Maybe that would have settled us down, Wrexham came back strongly second half but we limited them to very few if any clear chances. They aren't a bad side - did beat Sutton 4-0 a week or so ago. Don't know what happened to Wynter but Sherring did very well on the right , new lad Kerr looked good and Andrews had a very good game on the left. Hall was probably my man of the match. Guess Wright is still not 100 pc
Would like to see Umerah contribute more,
he is awkward to play against but hasn't really produced a lot yet. Great to be back on the terraces , thought it was a good atmosphere , nobody took any notice of the no shouting/chanting request. Did look odd seeing every area of the ground covered but spaced out. Looking forward to Tuesday hope we can produce a bit better performance than the second half today but not complaining. Wrexham look possible play off material.
Agree, does seem a lack of posts generally

Don't think you could blame CLE for missing the chance to make it 3-0, he got completely clattered again, I hope he didn't sustain an actual injury as he was kicked a lot.

Seems to have got back to his best so far this season and playing well in the more advance role just off Wright

Wynter maybe just rested? I thought he had one of his worst games away at Wealdstone
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Firstly I would like to commend the club and its staff for doing a good job considering the situation.
After talking to some of the stewards this week they couldn't wait to get fans in. I thought they did a great showing people to there spots and assisting.
To the game, i thought we were excellent in the first half. Some of our play down our left with Whitfield was causing Wrexham so many problems. Considering the amount of chances we created we probably should have scored more.
I ve not seen Randell play before apart from on the streaming service, he is quality, his work on and off the ball is excellent.
Apart from the corner which they scored from(which i thought came off their player) they didnt create much. On a negative note that was poor to concede from that set piece.
It was great seeing and hearing the fans in the second half try and lift the team. We basically struggled to gain any control and Wrexham pressed forward. We defended very well and counter attacked when Randell was brought down by what looked like a stone wall penalty. All in all not a great second half and a deserved goal by CLE who i thought was excellent today. In fact i thought that was his best performance in a yellow shirt that Ive seen.
Considering we made changes at the back we defended well and i have to give credit to Jake Andrews. Im not his biggest fan, i know he has the ability but his workrate drives me up the wall usually, anyway he was excellent today and played the full 95 min.
Well done everybody great to be back.
COYY
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Statement on Weymouth website saying they are reducing capacity for next game after consulting police. Fans ignoring stewards requests to social distance, ignoring smoking ban and bringing alcohol in. Can't believe how stupid people can be when so many clubs are trying to find a way though this. Well done to our fans yesterday. Felt very safe. Hopefully as more come back we will avoid the Weymouth situation!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Delighted to see some supporters stood and sat together showing "I aint afraid of no flu". An unheavyhanded, common sense approach used by stewards too.

Cool cat Trojan ("I aint afraid of no post") streamed the game in warm comfort with beer and sandwiches at hand - same last Tuesday and this coming Tuesday. Team Plainmoor it appears has it all planned.

A comfortable first half with an excellent opener by Whitfield. Second half scrappy-doo with the defence needing to be a solid shield. O' MacDonald needs a firm hand - back to his unnecessary forays from his line. Lemony Evans with another influential performance and his goal enabled the game to be seen out comfortably to full time.

Points, like guts, with be dropped. Here's hoping it will be well after Easter. By then we'll be so far up the arse of League Two, we'll be in their mid table.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"