The Gulls v Gateshead (away) 9 August 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Bullshit. CH said he would play his strongest 11. Any team that includes Tonge, Harding, Cruise and Benyon ain't a strong team, even at conf south level
TUST MEMBER
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Went to watch Aldershot defeat a terrible Altrincham 3-1 this afternoon. The visitors, albeit part-time, were very poor defensively and Aldershot really could have won by more.
Lathrope didn't put a foot wrong and looked a stand-out player - what a loss for us. Even Joe Oastler in centre of defence played well. Aldershot on this showing, especially with their pace down both wings, will be a big test on Bank Holiday Monday.
One consolation is that we could win two games this season home & away against Altrincham!
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Kit_robin wrote:
I am disappointed in the result today but I temper my judgment of CH with the fact that Gateshead have a good team and manager (and were at home), and CH is probably playing at least four players he would rather not have. I still think this squad as-is is good enough to bobble around mid table and maybe finish in the play -offs, but a consistent promotion challenge may just come down to whether Hawley, HArding and Tonge bugger off and CH can use the money.
And we don't?

I agree that managed effectively we should be able to achieve a mid table season end ......but as CH has admitted he needs to learn FAST.
Sharot1999
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Sharot1999 »

As a Gateshead fan I just wanted to say hello to Keith, Kirsty and Charlotte who went to The Schooner pre match.
Well done for the terrific supporter numbers today.
We had 1 point after 4 matches last year, and we didn't do too badly.
Good luck for the rest of the season.
Kevin
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You cannot argue with Hargreaves team selection today. Managers always go with their most experienced players in the first game of the season.
If he had played Ajala we would still have conceded three goals.
Welling failed to beat the opposition who had NINE men after thirty eight minutes today.
Any goodwill is going to go right out of the window if we do not get wins against Southport and Welling.
Its vital that we get off to a good start - otherwise there are going to be some very unforgiving supporters.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Gloomy Gull wrote:The concerns I expressed at the time of Hargreaves appointment remain.......he does not have sufficient experience/skills to be the manager - he needs time as an assistant manager or he needs a mentor.

No wonder you're called Gloomy Gull. One game in a new season with Hargreaves' own team and you're already at him. Some Torquay fans never manage to surprise me. I've said that I believe he got the line up wrong today, but that doesn't mean I don't think he can turn it around...it was the first game for goodness sake!

As for the line up, I'm very surprised to see that fellow fans are behind the decision of not starting Ajala, when he's quite simply our best player. In the conference you need fast, attacking football, Ajala can give you just that. There is no point sitting back, Ajala will run rings around teams when he gets the opportunity. He should be playing, so should Yeoman, so should Ives.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Maxiboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Loram

Post by Maxiboy1 »

Lets see where we are this time next week before we all despair. Agree with those that were disappointed not to see Ajala make the first 11, and I am surprised that Chappell isn't even making the bench but I am sure that this group of players we have will finish somewhere in the middle third or better. I do hope that Ives is in the team for Tuesday but if it is Cruise then he will get my support for the full 90 mins.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Agree with those who think Ajala should have started, why leave your best player (pre-season) on the bench? What's happened to Chappell? Why did Benyon start?

Gateshead was always going to be a tough start to life in the conference BUT if you don't play your strongest team, you're going to struggle.

I'm still not convinced that Hargreaves has the knowledge to lead this club. His admission that he needs to learn fast shows a crack in his confidence already.

Fingers crossed for Tuesday and Saturday. Back to back wins and we're back on track.......hopefully.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Maxiboy1 wrote:Lets see where we are this time next week before we all despair. Agree with those that were disappointed not to see Ajala make the first 11, and I am surprised that Chappell isn't even making the bench but I am sure that this group of players we have will finish somewhere in the middle third or better. I do hope that Ives is in the team for Tuesday but if it is Cruise then he will get my support for the full 90 mins.

Welcome to the forum. A perfect opening post, couldn't agree more :goodpost: :) .
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:
As for the line up, I'm very surprised to see that fellow fans are behind the decision of not starting Ajala, when he's quite simply our best player. In the conference you need fast, attacking football, Ajala can give you just that. There is no point sitting back, Ajala will run rings around teams when he gets the opportunity. He should be playing, so should Yeoman, so should Ives.
While you may well be proved right, there is just no way you can say that right now. No Torquay fan has seen him play a competitive game! There's more to starting a game than just a bit of skill - Hargreaves knows where he is mentally and how he's picked up being in the squad, we can't make that call from the sidelines.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Kit_robin wrote: While you may well be proved right, there is just no way you can say that right now. No Torquay fan has seen him play a competitive game! There's more to starting a game than just a bit of skill - Hargreaves knows where he is mentally and how he's picked up being in the squad, we can't make that call from the sidelines.

As I've said before, you pick your starting XI for your first game of the season based on who has shone in the Pre Season friendlies and you (quite obviously) pick your best players to be in that team. Hargreaves didn't do that today.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

It's all about opinions isn't.

Personally, I would have started with Ives ... a young man who should have a bright future in the game. I base that purely on what I have seen in pre season.

Likewise I also think that Ajala should have started and I would have had Chapell in my first XI too. So, for me at least, I would have gone with Ives, Ajala and Chapell in place of Cruise, Cameron and Benyon. Knowing Gateshead's strengths in possession I would have gone with a 4-5-1 with just Bowman up top and Briscoe (or Chapell) playing off him.

I may be wrong but I get the feeling that Greavsie is playing a waiting game in the hope that he eventually secures the services of Baily Cargill on a season loan and that Cruise is just filling in until he arrives. That is a dangerous game to play though as there is nothing to suggest that Bournemouth will let him out on loan as things stand.

Ultimately though today was always going to be a difficult one as, as badly as it seems we played, I have little doubt that Gateshead are definitely one of the best teams in this League and it is no disgrace to lose there. If we cannot take at least 4 points from the next two home games though, then that will be the time to start to worry ....
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Danny4

I am not "already at" CH and this is not his "first game", although I agree it is a new season, it's his 21st in charge of a team. I know there is all the rhetoric about new team...time to gel...new tactics ....blah,blah,blah. I am merely re-expressing the concerns I had from January this year about CH.

According to the Gateshead website their manager brought in 9 new players in the close season - didn't seem to upset their squad or they have gelled really quickly
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Gloomy Gull wrote:Danny4

I am not "already at" CH and this is not his "first game", although I agree it is a new season, it's his 21st in charge of a team. I know there is all the rhetoric about new team...time to gel...new tactics ....blah,blah,blah. I am merely re-expressing the concerns I had from January this year about CH.

According to the Gateshead website their manager brought in 9 new players in the close season - didn't seem to upset their squad or they have gelled really quickly

I'm not sure where you're quoting "(his) first game". I said it's the first game of a new season, which it clearly was. As for your comment;
Gloomy Gull wrote:I know there is all the rhetoric about new team...time to gel...new tactics ....blah,blah,blah.
Unfortunately, it's not "blah, blah, blah." If Torquay fans have an open mind about our current situation and manage to understand that even if we don't make the Play-Offs, then it is still a successful season, while knowing that it may take a few seasons in the Conference to get the squad and club in general up to scratch for the Football League again, then maybe fans won't be disappointed so easily and so quickly.
Gloomy Gull wrote:According to the Gateshead website their manager brought in 9 new players in the close season - didn't seem to upset their squad or they have gelled really quickly

Comparing the Gateshead side who lost in the Play Off final last season with the same manager they have now, while strengthening that already strong side, to a team relegated from League Two preparing their first season back in the Conference without the manager having his own team to work with, isn't really a fair comparison.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

How can you possibly say Ajala is our best player on the back of a couple of pre-season games? I don't blame Hargreaves for starting him on the bench. Cameron was excellent towards the end of last season and Briscoe was our stand-out performer today. I suppose you could have played all three with one of them alongside or just behind Bowman and that could be something to look at in future games.

My biggest problem with the line-up was Benyon starting and Yeoman not even on the bench. Hargreaves transfer listed one and gave a new contract to the other, but the one he apparently doesn't want played and the one he does want was left at home!