TUFC Ladies Thread

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

can we sign them up for next season? At least they know how to flippin' well shoot !!!!!!! :goal: :scarf: ;-) ;-)
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

Congratulations to the ladies. I think I'm going to consider us a women's football club that just happens to have a men's team too. Much happier that way.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

As grotesque as it will be to see the men relegated at Exeter, it was special to win the title at Alphington, who are an especially petulant and unbecoming side.

Back to back four-nil away wins have seen the ladies bounce back from the disappointment of picking up just two points from nine, suffering their only defeat of the season along the way.

Thursday night saw us play at the nicest ground of the lot, Taunton Town FC. Playing under lights was a nice change from the norm. Taunton were put to the sword with a couple of early goals. Firstly Crookie put chambo away down the left and the Taunton keeper (who is the best in the division by a country mile and, aside from this one incident, had an excellent game) elected to come out when staying at home was the right choice. Chambo took the shot which rolled towards the far post and was stuck in form half a yard by Gabby (new striker, came out of retirement to play for us).
Second goal was a nice move down the right culminating in a ferocious shot which the home stopper could only parry straight to the middle of her goal where, from 6 yards, Chambo lashed home the loose ball.
Some nice football then went unrewarded. Taunton were playing a high line in an attempt to compress the midfield and stifle our creativity, but some excellent work from Vicki and some killer balls over the top from Crookie meant we created plenty of chances, but managed to see most of them go somewhat begging. It was three-nil at the break, a header from a corner by Captain Fantastic made the game safe.

The second half was a little bit of a non-event. Taunton, try as they might, couldn't come close to matching our quality and found possession hard to come by. Torquay controlled the match and, eventually, found a really nice fourth when Chambo laid on a slide rule pass between two defenders which was matched by the diagonal run from Sian who then proceeded to nick the ball past the well positioned keeper to really stick a shine on things. the rest of the match petered out into nothing as the temperature dropped and both sides seemed to understand that the job was done much earlier on in proceedings.

Today's match against Alphington was played in the rain. Lots of bloody rain.
I remember Alphington from last time we played them, not because they're necessarily any good (they're not), but because their manager is a cock.

The game started quietly, with neither side doing a great deal. Then Torquay got into their stride and a gulf in class between the two sides began to open up which, by the end of the match, was as wide as... well, something extremely wide. Things took a turn for the farcical when "our" lino, Ant, flagged one of their girls offside. I wasn't looking, so didn't see whether she was or not, but the Alphington players didn't concur. Their manager (who was running the other line) then stated "two can play at that game" and lo and behold, next time we went forward and the ball was flicked on to a very clearly onside Torquay striker, the flag went up. Voices were raised, accusations made, general silliness.
Torquay opened the scoring shortly after this, with a really neat build up down the left finished off into the corner of the net by Goughy. Just reward for a spell of play which included some very neat football.
From then on Torquay turned the screw and, aside from the odd free kick awarded by the referee, the officials had little to do. The second arrived just before half time and effectively sealed the match and the title.
The second half really was a spectacle and it was played exclusively in the Alphington half. Torquay had total control over the whole shape and tempo of the match and some of their interplay on the wide, slick pitch would have caused some L2 clubs problems. Another flash point arrived at the midway point, when a shot from distance was very obviously tipped over the bar for a corner by the home stopper. Torquay appealed, the supporters appealed, the bench appealed. The ref gave the goal kick. One of their mouthpiece players then starts yacking on about how we can't possibly see from where we are. I have to admit to responding by asking her to confirm that the score was 2-0 to Torquay. She didn't answer...

Shortly thereafter, Torquay earned their millionth free kick of the afternoon. It was just to the right and about 30 yards from goal. Crookie, having her eye in by this stage, took aim and blazed the ball goalward. The keeper halfheartedly went after it and this lack of commitment was to prove her downfall. The ball crashed against the bar, hit the keeper on the back and rolled into the net. A bit spooney, but thoroughly deserved.
The fourth was a nice enough goal, poked in from close range, and it came after the best period Torquay have enjoyed all season. Cutting their opponents to ribbons, Adele was allowed to bomb forward time and again and they simply couldn't deal with her. We managed to earn half a dozen corners and waste them all, as well as flashing a couple of excellent balls across the box, begging to be touched in but never actually so being.

Come the final whistle, justice was served. An excellent performance, a surprisingly sheepish opposing manager and the league title confirmed with a brilliant performance.

Away to Liverton should be a party next Sunday. Come, it's much better than watching the men...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Sorry, not away to Liverton, at home to Bude, but playing at Liverton FC.

7-0 to the ladies, which included a 6-0 second half.

Goughy hat-trick, including a pen which she won with the use of a neat stop-and-go to suck her man into making the lunge. She'll finish as the Golden Boot, with not less than 33 goals (although she's actually scored 41, 8 were chalked off when Torpoint went out of business). Whisper it, because she'll not take it as a compliment, but she could have had 10 today. The Bude keeper made a couple of nice stops and I think she hit the woodwork either two or three times.

Goal right at the end of the first half was beautiful. A 45 minutes of frustration which saw us camped in their half but unable to find a killer ball on the exceptionally slick surface was brought to an end by Crookie with a goal which was a combination of Wayne Rooney's second and Dejagah's for Fulham yesterday. Fully 25 yards out, on the angle and fairly drilled past a statuesque keeper.

Three goals in the first five minutes of the second half sealed the match, with Chambo bundling home from about half an inch, Sian slipping her marker, driving into the box and knocking past the keeper at the near post and Captain Fantastic Fannon with a neat header from a corner.
The game then turned into the Laura Gough show, with the striker creating chance after chance, either for herself or by her good running. She had a couple well saved before she finally managed to rope-a-dope into making a clumsy lunge for a ball which had been dangled invitingly for the purpose. The ball was nicked away by the girl in yellow, who then promptly fell over the outstretched leg of her opponent. An easier decision, that referee won't have had all season.
Unlike the men's team of a few weeks ago, there was a confident centre forward on hand to scoop up the ball and place it on the spot. She took a short run up and knocked it straight into the right hand corner. The keeper never even saw it.
Minutes later and she carved out another chance, which she managed to whack straight at the keeper while looking for the near post. Most uncharacteristic from the usually deadly finisher. It wasn't long before she made amends and when the goal came, it was another beauty. Fed through the middle, she outpaced her defender as though the latter were running through special reserve treacle, a couple of touches to settle herself and a third to rifle the ball past the Bude stopper and into the far top corner, a classy finish.
The woodwork was then struck following a shot made possible by the sort of twisting and turning usually reserved for a net full of trout. Quite how she escaped the attentions of three defenders, all while in the box I'll never know, but she did, and her shot had the keeper well beaten, but crashed against the upright.
Finally the third arrived when, once again put through by a neat pass from the midfield, she committed the keeper to coming out to meet her, only to have the ball slipped expertly past her legs and into the far corner of the net.

More chances did come and go, for all players, but it was irrelevant in the end. Torquay had seen off Bude in extremely comfortable fashion, despite the closeness of the scores for much of the first half. The visitors, apart from wasting a golden chance to open the scoring on the half hour when Beth came for a hopeful punt but didn't quite get there ahead of the striker who was forced too wide to capitalise, never got anywhere near scoring a goal today and rarely had the ball in our half.

Last game of the season next Sunday, away at Callington. Do try to make it if you can, it's a great laugh and the ladies really do deserve some recognition for what has been a truly remarkable season.

Matt.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Well, it started badly...

We went a goal down after 90 seconds having not touched the ball...

Then we produced what I'm rating as the best performance of the season to score 8 (eight) unanswered goals to run out comfortable winners.

We were outrageously good today. Every single one of them (except Beth, the keeper, **** knows how she got on today, she only touched the ball once) was outstanding.

A goal down in a couple of minutes, then a scrappy 5 minutes while we asserted ourselves and their manager gave it a load of old mouth from the touchline, then we were away. Goughy got three, including goal of the season, with a volleyed backheel from a left wing cross to make it 2-1. Jazz Hervin was really good out wide and caused all sorts of problems. Ali Hill came in having not played too much this year and did the left wing job superbly. Jess Armstrong dealt with their CF very well all game, hardly giving her a sniff. Charlie Maling helped out admirably at right back. Adele was immense at left back as always. Vicki Fannon did her usual marvellous job in the centre of midfield. Hayley was right back to being her old unstoppable self both through the middle and down the line. The two up front, Laura "not another bloody hat-trick" Gough and her doppelganger Gabby linked up like Cole and Yorke in '99 and helped themselves to 5 goals in the process. Last, and deliberately so, was Crookie who was simply unplayable today. Imagine Paul Scholes, but with tits and normal hair. time and again she was surrounded by two or more defenders and she simply shielded the ball, waited for her moment, then whisped into the space, leaving her marker[s] for dead. Some of the passes she made were utterly physics defying. One, which I was right behind, went through a gap which simply didn't exist. Straight between two players and to the feet of Goughy, who send her shot just wide. Honestly, and without exaggeration, it was a pass which would have been shown again on Match of the Day and spoken about enthusiastically by Hansen and Shearer.

Most of the goals came from out wide, where Callington simply couldn't get a handle on us. The score could have been very embarrassing for a Callington side who were being instructed by their coach in a manner which suggested that they'd be happy to lose by as few as possible. Goughy did her hamstring late in the first half, so that cost us. We didn't take full advantage of a couple of good chances from very close range. We hit the woodwork three times, including one which hit the inside of the post and ran along the goalline.

Callington have a beautiful ground, and probably the best pitch in the division (grass was very long though), so I can't really bring myself to be too harsh on them, but their manager is a bit of a cock, so it was nice to give them a stuffing on that basis alone.

Disappointingly, there was no trophy presentation today, as I had hoped there would be.

Much more disappointingly, I've been to almost every game, home and away this season and I've not seen a single representative from the club at any of them. I'll accept that it's a Sunday etc, but it's hardly a chore to stand in the sun for a couple of hours, watching some football and drinking tea. Still, never mind, it's the winning that counts.

I'm really looking forward to next season in the Premier League, it'll be a real test of the girls' true ability. I don't think we'll win it (we might well lose Goughy to retirement, and her goals will be tough to replace) but I certainly don't think we'll struggle to stay up.

Matt.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Thanks Matt. Looking forward to next season; they may not be champions again but I'm sure they'll give a good account of themselves. There's no reason why they should not eventually gain promotion from the Premier League to join Exeter City and Plymouth Argyle in the South West Women's Combination League.

Current League table here: http://www.bristol-soccerworld.com/page60.html and here: http://full-time.thefa.com/Index.do?div ... e=49427966
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

When will there be some kind of public recognition and awards presentation for the girls..??

And could we please see them play at Plainmoor occasionally next season..??
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

When hell freezes over it seems.
Surely the Wycombe game would have been the perfect opportunity for a trophy presentation, lap of honour and for the fans to show their appreciation (and a good chance for the girls to rub the pub team's faces in it). The pub team (mens team, first team, whatever you want to call them) could have been forced to give a guard of honour, on their effing knees!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

Saw the 1 girl I follow on the Twitter tweet something today about looking forward to the presentation night. No idea what that entails or when it actually is.

Side note: I can't believe "Twitter" and "tweet" are apparently real English words now.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

That's their own presentation night, nothing official. I am delighted to have been able to accept an invitation to attend, so I'll let you know who wins what (I have a sneaking suspicion I know who the golden boot is...)

Matt.
DelWTS
New Signing
New Signing

Post by DelWTS »

looking forward to the tulfc ladies awards night, thank you for the invitation, thank you

DEL WTS.CO.UK