Retain or Release?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Yeah i'd like to get Benners in and keep Jarvis and give Yeoman a good runout. I think with a run of games he could develop into a good player at this level but he just needs experience. His finish at Morecambe was superb. Rene to stay if he is committed.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I believe Benyon, Jarvis and Yeoman can do a really good job for us up front but we do need more pace on the wings - these are priority areas for me.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Agree, although i saw Niall sat in the stands at Morecambe when he could have mullered their defence. He is young but could have been used more than he was in the run in. If it's one thing defenders don't like is pace. We do need effective wingers though.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:
Nick, i'm going for a lie down after this because i totally agree with the above
:O
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

:lol:
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

="SuperNickyWroe"

are you having a laugh?
may I remind you this is TUFC not barcelona.
are you suggesting, for example we get rid of saah, downes, poke & mansell?
who/how would you
a) replace them with
b) actually get them to come here and
c) get the money from?

get a grip mate and dont talk wet.
there is only 1 player who has been a regular in the team that i have suggested we get rid of. most of the fringe players out of contract will probably go anyway.

i know who we are and where we stand in terms of the football world.

players come and go, its a fact of life in football.but we carry on. we have seen it happen with many - some good, some very good, some bad, some sh!te.

all i said was there is nobody in that squad i would be that bothered about if they left.

individually, i would not lose any sleep. if there was a mass exodus then that is a cause for concern. but then again we would not be in a much different position to what buckle left us in. the following season it worked out ok though.

indeed, if the 4 players you mentioned left at the same time then that would be a problem replacing them all. but scenarios such as losing 4 of your better players that you actually want should not happen.

all 4 of those players have had criticism this season at some point, name 1 player in the squad that hasnt.in fact a few weeks ago some posters on here were calling for every single one of them to get the boot or have a massive clearout.

reading a lot of posts there are only a few names many would like to see stay. but on the other hand after some had insisted we get rid of under performers or dead wood, now many are insisting we give certain players another chance - they were just in a slump - they will come good - they were under-used - they have potential.

if we dont get rid of the right ones we will have another season like the one thats just finished.

there have not been many players down the years i have lamented when they have left and thought how are we going to replace them. the only ones in recent times were probably alex russell, david graham(first spell) and olejnik. Says a lot. before them were a few players in the 90's - 80's etc.

most players are replacable with others of a similar calibre at this level.there are not that many who stand out that you would not be able to replace.

some will say we will miss rene howe if he goes because of the goals he scored, some are not bothered because the 2nd half of the season he didnt look as good, didnt score as many goals, didnt seem bothered, picked up too many bookings(some harsh and unfair) and was looking elsewhere to when his contract was up.its a matter of perception and opinion which way you look at it.

personally if any players dont want to be here and they arent leaving to go to bigger things that they really cant refuse i just say "f*** em" we'll move on without them.we've done it before we will do it again.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

chunkygull wrote:
there is only 1 player who has been a regular in the team that i have suggested we get rid of. most of the fringe players out of contract will probably go anyway.

players come and go, its a fact of life in football.but we carry on. we have seen it happen with many - some good, some very good, some bad, some sh!te.

all i said was there is nobody in that squad i would be that bothered about if they left.

individually, i would not lose any sleep. if there was a mass exodus then that is a cause for concern. but then again we would not be in a much different position to what buckle left us in. the following season it worked out ok though.

indeed, if the 4 players you mentioned left at the same time then that would be a problem replacing them all. but scenarios such as losing 4 of your better players that you actually want should not happen.

all 4 of those players have had criticism this season at some point, name 1 player in the squad that hasnt.in fact a few weeks ago some posters on here were calling for every single one of them to get the boot or have a massive clearout.

reading a lot of posts there are only a few names many would like to see stay. but on the other hand after some had insisted we get rid of under performers or dead wood, now many are insisting we give certain players another chance - they were just in a slump - they will come good - they were under-used - they have potential.

if we dont get rid of the right ones we will have another season like the one thats just finished.

there have not been many players down the years i have lamented when they have left and thought how are we going to replace them. the only ones in recent times were probably alex russell, david graham(first spell) and olejnik. Says a lot. before them were a few players in the 90's - 80's etc.

most players are replacable with others of a similar calibre at this level.there are not that many who stand out that you would not be able to replace.

some will say we will miss rene howe if he goes because of the goals he scored, some are not bothered because the 2nd half of the season he didnt look as good, didnt score as many goals, didnt seem bothered, picked up too many bookings(some harsh and unfair) and was looking elsewhere to when his contract was up.its a matter of perception and opinion which way you look at it.

personally if any players dont want to be here and they arent leaving to go to bigger things that they really cant refuse i just say "f*** em" we'll move on without them.we've done it before we will do it again.
thats all very well what you are saying, but again I would like to know how you suggest who we are to target, how we convince them to come here and where the money is coming from.
there will be all the other league 2 clubs in the same boat - and as we know from (recent) experience, its hard to convince players to come down to the bay.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

most players are replacable with others of a similar calibre at this level.there are not that many who stand out that you would not be able to replace. some will say we will miss rene howe if he goes because of the goals he scored, some are not bothered because the 2nd half of the season he didnt look as good, didnt score as many goals, didnt seem bothered, picked up too many bookings(some harsh and unfair) and was looking elsewhere to when his contract was up.its a matter of perception and opinion which way you look at it.

personally if any players dont want to be here and they arent leaving to go to bigger things that they really cant refuse i just say "f*** em" we'll move on without them.we've done it before we will do it again.[/quote]

Absolutely spot on here Chunky me ol' mucker. For all the people who wish to copulate with Rene Howe, just remember that there we had prolific goalscorers at Plainmoor before he arrived and we will see others when he is gone. He isn't the be all and end all and he can be replaced. I thought Bobby couldn't be replaced but what i've seen of Pokey this season i was totally wrong. At our level you get one or two absolute gems but generally a player could do sh*t at another club (Rene at various clubs) and come to TUFC and do well (Rene) and then go somewhere else and do sh*t again, at our level there isn't a great deal of difference in quality. More it's about momentum, confidence, teamwork and belief that gets teams in challenging positions rather than quality all over the pitch.

Ignore Super, he couldn't find his arse with both hands AND he's from Baaahnsle! :na: :lol:

I don't mind who stays and who goes because they can always be replaced regardless of how much money we (haven't) got or where we are geographically. If this was not the case then we'd be in the South West leagues long ago. The team evolves each year and some signings do well and some do crap, it's always just enough combined to see us right.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ill look forward to all the new players then you derbyshire ponce.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

SuperNickyWroe wrote:ill look forward to all the new players then you derbyshire ponce.
:lol: :rofl:

Calm down sunshine. :~D

I've been approached by the club to operate as a support striker to Billy Bodin so no need to worry. :)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:
:lol: :rofl:

Calm down sunshine. :~D

I've been approached by the club to operate as a support striker to Billy Bodin so no need to worry. :)

we're doomed! :-o

or as turkish said in the film snatch - we're f**ked!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

or like the fat lady at the car rental desk at the airport in Planes, Trains and Automobiles said..................................you're f*cked! :lol:
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

I've got to agree with Chunky here. There isn't one player in our squad who couldn't be replaced as evidenced by the season we have just had, we scraped clear of relegation because the players are poor to average. There's no stand out talent like O'kane in the side, the "best" player we have is Howe and he certainly isn't irreplaceable (Rendell would be my choice).

Supes seems to think we should retain them all as it's physically impossible to sign players, which is strange seeing as all the players we currently have were signed in the past. =D

A squad full of poor to average players equals a poor to average season, it's not rocket science. With most of them out of contract we have an opportunity to clear out the dead wood and freshen things up, get rid of the excess midfielders/wingers and create a more balanced squad.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

I simply can't see why people always yearn for the return of Rendell, who is a very limited player as proven by his release by a non league club.
Rendell is not fit to clean Rene's boots.
Tust member 191
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Mattpuma wrote:I simply can't see why people always yearn for the return of Rendell, who is a very limited player as proven by his release by a non league club.
Rendell is not fit to clean Rene's boots.
He's been released by Luton because he won't fit into Still's awful long ball style.

If you want good football with 2 up front then a Rendell and Benyon partnership is the way to go.

Forget about Rene, he won't be staying, time to move on.